Nvidia Inspector for P3Dv4?

Thread: Nvidia Inspector for P3Dv4?

Nvidia Inspector for P3Dv4?

Still a relative newbie enjoying the jump from FSX hugely with only a few niggles. Just realized that after getting the in game settings settled mostly I totally forgot about Nvidia Inspector and am just running P3D with it running in the background - with my old FSX settings.

Read in one place that it really isn't necessary on fairly high end systems but also that there is a template/profile available for P3Dv4 that obviously is being used by people.

Wondering if I missing even more that is possible graphically. Any views?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I would also like to know how to implement this. I don't know if NI knows the difference between v4 and v3. And/or treats them the same? there's only one entry for P3D in my list of apps. Any help would be very welcomed. Thanks!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Hello,

Nvidia Inspector is a configuration tool and does not need to be "run in the background",
    as it is not doing anything unless you are actively using it.

Configuring the P3D profile does seem to affect Prepar3D.exe and that would apply regardless
    of which version is running.
    In v4, I can see that setting FXAA to "on", smooths the spinning aircraft in the change vehicle
    window but I cannot detect any difference in-game at all.
    Regards,
    Nick

I always found the weakest point in P3D to be AA options. I never liked the blurriness caused by FXAA so never used it. My main issues were clarity of gauges and fighting the jaggies. For some time I have tried DSR of 2x, 3x or even 4x with AA in game set to 2x. The result was really good but the load on my 970 was high and my FPS suffered. I then tried the following NVI settings, proposed at the P3D forum:

This was in conjunction with the following AA settings in the sim:

I have lived with these settings happily and jaggie free in v3.5 and I kept them in v4. The settings seem to apply to Prepar3d.exe regardless of version.

Again, what works in one system might not work in another, I just share what works for me.

I still use NI now that I've moved to P3Dv4 from FSX Accel. Now I use NI to set framerate lock (30fps), while in the sim I run Unlimited (lower usage of the 1st core by the sim... more even work load among the two primary sim cores as well as lower CPU temps (2-5C)). I also set Vsync and Triple Buffering ON in NI while OFF in the sim. I use "1/2 Refresh Rate" Vsync setting in NI.

The most important reason I use NI is for AA. I have never been able to warm up to SSAA... it just has never worked for me. I tried hard to accept what it gave me in P3Dv4. In the end I have settled upon 8xMSAA in the sim and 8xSGSS in NI. Looks much better to me!

In the last couple days I've been working with another setting that seems to have helped me. For whatever reason (still haven't nailed it down yet) my new 1080 wanted to go into the P2 state. I noticed this when seeing my view become rather jerky while panning. I also noticed it in my browser (Firefox) while fast scrolling a page... it too was jerky. In the Common section of NI is a setting labeled "CUDA - Force P2 state"... by default it is on and I have set it off. No more jerking when panning in the sim, and smooth scrolling in my browser (also set the same setting to OFF in the NI Profile for Firefox).

As always, YMMV! What works for some won't necessarily work for others. But for better AA alone NI is certainly worth keeping.

HTH,

Greg

Edit: Aha! Dimus posted while I was writing my post. We share the same philosophy about AA!
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Members who have read this thread: 0