Update to "Computer Shutdown"

Thread: Update to "Computer Shutdown"

Update to "Computer Shutdown"

I am grabbing at straws right now, but here's a bit of interesting info. I have had trouble with TrackIR after this latest reinstall of Win10. I couldn't get all the LED lights on the camera to come on and so rather than turning TrackIR off and just flying with the hat switch I minimized TrackIR. This morning I uninstalled TrackIR and went Flying. . .(just not the same without TIR but oh well). I flew for well over an hour with no problem. Sat on the tarmac talking with "WND" in Teamspeak for awhile and decided to try reinstalling TrackIR and start with the oldest drivers and work my way up until I found a combination that worked.

I got everything installed, brought up the Sim again (I had it minimized), double clicked on the TIR icon and the instant the menu popped up the computer went dead. So, while I doubt that TrackIR itself is causing this problem, could it be that all it takes is TrackIR initiating to push a failing PSU to it's limit?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

It could be, indeed...
    When you uninstalled the TrackIR stuff, did you also unplug it ?
    That device takes some power, so perhaps when it turns on, the limit of your dying PSU is reached.

If you have any other USB device that also takes a lot of power (like, a webcam perhaps?), it could be interesting to make the same test, activating the camera during your flight instead of the TrackIR...

Just as a data point, I am using my Track IR5 with Windows 10 (Home 64) and it's functioning perfectly. Driver set is TrackIR 5.4.2.

That said, your success sounds undeniable. If TIR is giving you trouble, maybe there's a problem with your particular USB TIR device which results in your system being overtaxed somehow.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Blog Entries
    I remember you describing your TrackIR as being well worn and held together with various repairs. Mine is actually glued to my headset. lol

I'm wondering if possibly the USB connector is worn, or internal wiring has finally given up the ghost and is creating a dead short somewhere. Those super fine wires are very vulnerable to wear, and as the device is constantly in motion, the vulnerability is amplified.

P3D is hypersensitive to anomalies, and will shut down when a Sparrow passes wind. I'm constantly borking either P3D or my controllers by simply walking across the carpet and not grounding myself before I touch anything connected to the system.

Just a thought, but I've had that same issue with other devices in the past.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    Just as a data point, I am using my Track IR5 with Windows 10 (Home 64) and it's functioning perfectly. Driver set is TrackIR 5.4.2.
    I've tried all the drivers and right now none of them will give me the LED's I need. (I uninstall each driver prior to trying another one, I don't overwrite anything).

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    That said, your success sounds undeniable. If TIR is giving you trouble, maybe there's a problem with your particular USB TIR device which results in your system being overtaxed somehow.
    Seems likely, I've grown so used to TrackIR that right now Flying is simply not the same without it. Hoping a new PSU will get me back on track.

Current System Specs:

I'd let you try my TIR unit to help troubleshoot, but alas, you live about 1000 miles SSW of my place.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Another shutdown has shown that it is not "only TrackIR" but anything that would tax the failing PSU. I will revisit this thread next week after I have installed the new PSU and tested it against TrackIR and some of my HD Payware aircraft (all of which have caused the PC to shutdown).

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0