After burner; smoke; other effects problems in v.4

Thread: After burner; smoke; other effects problems in v.4

After burner; smoke; other effects problems in v.4

I think the starting point is that having ported a bunch of FSX a/c in a rush I may not have also brought over the relevant effects files and placed them in P3D4.

However, having now addressed that, I continue to fail utterly to get any engine smoke to appear or when I want it to. Have set the "I" key to turn it on or off but nothing showing. Some may say smoke is over done in FS but perhaps they never flew behind a pair of J-79's!

Afterburners present an additional issue - I think - because some of the better FSX set-ups - e.g. by Jafo, etc - have a 32 bit xml file in the panel that regulates the AB from the throttle setting - as one would want so it comes on at or near 100% throttle - rather than the more lame way of having it work with the lights.

Lastly, have put together some fun custom AI - carrier ops off Vietnam with the old AS Big E planted at Yankee station. For my AI F-4s (AS native FX models) I tried to borrow the AB and smoke setup in Michael Pearson's AI Phantoms which in FSX would start smoke on startup/taxi, then switch on the AB on takeoff roll and cut out during climb out. Perfect. Except in P3D4 my Phantoms switch the AB on for startup/taxi and switch if OFF at the start of take off roll. DOH! The effects are set in the air.cfg lights section the same way as in FSX. Does P3D change the light "type" or something to cause this. Anyone tackled this stuff yet?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I would need to replicate that in my copy here, but just for the record, XML is essentially a text file and has nothing to do with 32/64bit. You only can get malfunctions if the XML code calls a 32bit dll, or if the code formatting is outside the norm. P3D has become increasingly unforgivingly in regards of "loose" code formatting.

Check this for an example. You could feed the code mentioned into FSX and it would work, but not anymore in P3D. The reason was a missing blank!

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...ef-xml.435796/

As for effects, some old FS9 effects that had been dragged along into a FSX version of a model can give headaches since the the order of the xyz values for placing the effect had been changed, if I recall right. This resulted in e.g. nav lights flying in free space next to the AC and other peculiarities. Be careful, when porting older models, not to overwrite any existing (working) effects, and check if the effect that is called is actually where it should be, the same goes for custom textures that might be called in the fx code.

Generally, the FSX effects (.fx) should be ok on P3D. I am re-working my Solomons right now and found, despite the age of all that, almost all special effects work in P3D like a charm.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Thanks Mark. Your Solomon scenery has ported into v4 with no problems and lots of nice effects working!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I'm having AB effect issues in P3D V3. Ted (tufun) AB effect worked great in FSX but I have moved to P3D V3 and the AB effects do not work. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...52#post1196552

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I think the starting point is that having ported a bunch of FSX a/c in a rush I may not have also brought over the relevant effects files and placed them in P3D4.

However, having now addressed that, I continue to fail utterly to get any engine smoke to appear or when I want it to. Have set the "I" key to turn it on or off but nothing showing. Some may say smoke is over done in FS but perhaps they never flew behind a pair of J-79's!

Afterburners present an additional issue - I think - because some of the better FSX set-ups - e.g. by Jafo, etc - have a 32 bit xml file in the panel that regulates the AB from the throttle setting - as one would want so it comes on at or near 100% throttle - rather than the more lame way of having it work with the lights.

Lastly, have put together some fun custom AI - carrier ops off Vietnam with the old AS Big E planted at Yankee station. For my AI F-4s (AS native FX models) I tried to borrow the AB and smoke setup in Michael Pearson's AI Phantoms which in FSX would start smoke on startup/taxi, then switch on the AB on takeoff roll and cut out during climb out. Perfect. Except in P3D4 my Phantoms switch the AB on for startup/taxi and switch if OFF at the start of take off roll. DOH! The effects are set in the air.cfg lights section the same way as in FSX. Does P3D change the light "type" or something to cause this. Anyone tackled this stuff yet?
    The [lights] section doesn't seem to work for AB effects. The problem with sprites is it would rotate and not hold in place. That is fixed. No problem in FSX. You'll notice in the Milviz F-100 [smokes] section refers to the AB effects, no [lights] are used. Not sure if P3Dv4 is the same but P3Dv3 did change how some effects work. I have the F-86 but need to install it to check the [lights] and [smoke] sections for AB effects.

I've fixed the AB effects in P3Dv3 for the F-8 Crusader and now working on the FSX version. I'm going to test it later on P3Dv3 Milviz F-100 next week. Unless another book deal shows up!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

[QUOTE=TuFun;1198009 I have the F-86 but need to install it to check the [lights] and [smoke] sections for AB effects.

Ted, I don't think the GE J-47 was an afterburner turbojet engine, at least that I know of; haven't seen any photos of J47 in AB mode.

Except for initial spool up, the EGT/RPM in this test run (video) was high didn't exhibit any AB flame.

The Westinghouse J-46 was an afterburner turbojet - used in the Navy F-7 Cutlass.

[QUOTE=gray eagle;1198029]
    Quote Originally Posted by TuFun;1198009 I have the F-86 but need to install it to check the [lights
    and [smoke] sections for AB effects.

Ted, I don't think the GE J-47 was an afterburner turbojet engine, at least that I know of; haven't seen any photos of J47 in AB mode.

Except for initial spool up, the EGT/RPM in this test run (video) was high didn't exhibit any AB flame.

The Westinghouse J-46 was an afterburner turbojet - used in the Navy F-7 Cutlass.
    I think the F-86D model had afterburners not the earlier models so that is true.

Specifications (F-86D-40-NA)

North American F-86K Sabre.

Data from Combat Aircraft since 1945,[4] The American Fighter[5]
    General characteristics

• Crew: one
    • Length: 40 ft 3 in (12.27 m)
    • Wingspan: 37 ft 1.5 in (11.31 m)
    • Height: 15 ft in (4.57 m)
    • Empty weight: 13,518 lb (6,132 kg)
    • Gross weight: 19,975 lb (9,060 kg)
    • Powerplant: 1 × General Electric J47-GE-17B, 5,425 lbf (24.1 kN)dry, 7,500 lbf (33.4 kN) with afterburner

Ah, the "Sabre Dog".

The F-86D had only 25 percent commonality with other Sabre variants, with a larger fuselage, larger afterburner engine, and a distinctive nose radome.

I remember seeing those back in the day. The "D" model nose threw me off; I had not associated it with the F-86 family other then the same swept back wings.

So you have a F-86D add on with AB? Who makes it?

Do you have this one?

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...e-dog-updated/

Nada on the F86D, just the Milviz model.

This is what I was looking for... how many AB zones the F-8 J57 Turbojet engine have?

The Crusader was powered by a Pratt and Whitney J57 turbojet engine. The engine was equipped with an afterburner that, unlike on later engines, was either fully lit, or off (i.e. it did not have "zones"). The engine produced 18,000 lb of thrust at full power, enough to allow the F-8 to climb straight up in clean configuration. The Crusader was the first jet fighter in US service to reach 1,000 mph; U.S. Navy pilot R.W. Windsor reached 1,015 mph on a flight in 1956.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Nada on the F86D, just the Milviz model.

This is what I was looking for... how many AB zones the F-8 J57 Turbojet engine have?

The Crusader was powered by a Pratt and Whitney J57 turbojet engine. The engine was equipped with an afterburner that, unlike on later engines, was either fully lit, or off (i.e. it did not have "zones"). The engine produced 18,000 lb of thrust at full power, enough to allow the F-8 to climb straight up in clean configuration. The Crusader was the first jet fighter in US service to reach 1,000 mph; U.S. Navy pilot R.W. Windsor reached 1,015 mph on a flight in 1956.
    I was unaware of "Zones" till I was enlightened by this article from a former F-14 Pilot:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-m...ghter-aircraft

Sound of F-8 Flyby - Sonic Boom.

https://www.f8crusader.org/flyby.wav

Photo of F-8's being manned for next launch (There is a link that plays J-57 spooling up)

https://www.f8crusader.org/manning.htm

I think the "zones" reference from the Wikipedia article is actually meant to refer to "multi-stage", where there are multiple sets of spray bars that allow Min, Mid and Max afterburner settings.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

We were flying these at George AFB (GA) when I entered service and used the J75 Turbojet engines with cart start. Rotten egg smell and lots of black smoke on startup!
    Look like shark flying through the air. The exhaust nozzle also was the air brakes.

[QUOTE=TuFun;1198137]We were flying these at George AFB (GA) when I entered service and used the J75 Turbojet engines with cart start. Rotten egg smell and lots of black smoke on startup!
    Look like shark flying through the air. The exhaust nozzle also was the air brakes.

[/QUOTE

Looks like an F-105 (THUD) aka "Lead Sled" aka "Ultra Hog". With a tail hook? I see MK 76 Practice bombs (25 lbs each) on the center line TER.

From what I've read, the aircraft's offensive capabilities were sarcastically referred to as a "Triple Threat" — it could bomb you, strafe you, or fall on you.

The J75 engine was essentially the bigger brother of the Pratt & Whitney J57.

Not familiar with your base so I looked it up and I am confused. I search for George AFB GA and I get

George Air Force Base (1941–1992) is a former United States Air Force base located 8 miles Northwest of Victorville, California,

The GA on the end, I thought was for Georgia. Anyway, it looks like it folded;
    but then, you know all that

I'm always confused with the location of the AFB's are whereas the Navy/Marines would name their air bases usually after the cities they were located.

Nowadays, that has changed a little as well.
    Last edited by gray eagle; September 29th, 2019 at 14:30.

While at the Castle hospital the other day took this pic from the parking lot.

RF-8G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190925.jpg  

Grab the AB effects when it's available.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...urner-effects!

I think I know why the new (final) AB effects caused it to flame at low taxi speeds (at least for me).

I had use an F-8 panel mod that JFTO created and was using that for ALL my F-8 panels.

When I reinstalled the F-8 addon, the Aircraft.cfg was calling on sans JFTO panels.

When I remove those JFTO panel entries from all textures, and for whatever reason, I could taxi at a moderate speed

with out the AB flare ups. Strange, but true.

The model doesn't show the tail cone details so I wanted to see how it looks on the real bird. In the model, the AB tube doesn't' extend all the way out to the tail cone.
    So the rings would be the same throughout the AB section. Oh well, it's done now.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    The model doesn't show the tail cone details so I wanted to see how it looks on the real bird. In the model, the AB tube doesn't' extend all the way out to the tail cone.
    So the rings would be the same throughout the AB section. Oh well, it's done now.

I wanted to say thanks for the afterburner effect as that adds a little something extra when flying it in the sim.

Members who have read this thread: 1