The full motion simulator at Naval Aviation Museum

Thread: The full motion simulator at Naval Aviation Museum

The full motion simulator at Naval Aviation Museum

Although I live in Pensacola, and have been to the Naval Aviation Museum a few times since moving here in 2014, I had never spent the $20 to try out the full motion simulator they have, until today.

The software used is FSX. Time allotted for $20 ticket is 4 minutes. Yes, you read that correctly, four minutes.

The aircraft in the sim is the default Hornet in Blue Angel colors, which starts off in the air over default FSX NAS Pensacola. No aircraft carrier. Gear is down, and no option to raise them or control flaps, etc. Only throttle control and ailerons.

Joystick and throttles are well worn. The joystick I had was patched over with electricians tape in spots. You can tell the vendors don't spend money replacing equipment.

Before I climbed in the simulator, I asked the female employee if there were runways in-scenery that I could land on. She looked at me and said, "Well, I guess you can if you want to?" I guess most people just go inverted for the entire four minutes.

Well, I immediately (upon commencing the 4 minutes) began circling, looking for NAS Pensacola. Quickly descended, did a touch and go and a high speed climb from the runway.

Wasn't long after that - my time was up. The motion of the simulator was sorta cool, but worth $20?

Nope.

NC

I don't want to offend my local museum's simulator but it is, shall we say; lacking immersion.

It's basically got four buttons (Up, Down, Left, Right) and runs something I can't identify that is a lot worse than FSX.
    The idea is to land the Helo on the grass and you have a cross hair sight as you plunge down towards the abyss of green with no sense of height, no instruments. Really rather cr**.

Mind you, it is only a £1 a go.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

I know that the Navy was (and may still be) using FSX in their ground based ab-initio pilot training at NAS Kingsville many years ago. I always wondered how it was they were getting away with such a massive EULA violation. I only concluded that MS just didn't think it would be to their benefit to get into a pissing match with the USN...

$20 for four minutes is rediculous, unless there's a long line there everyday waiting their turn to crash and burn.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I know that the Navy was (and may still be) using FSX in their ground based ab-initio pilot training at NAS Kingsville many years ago. I always wondered how it was they were getting away with such a massive EULA violation. I only concluded that MS just didn't think it would be to their benefit to get into a pissing match with the USN...

$20 for four minutes is rediculous, unless there's a long line there everyday waiting their turn to crash and burn.
    I was told there often is a long waiting line. There wasn't yesterday, or I never would have even spent the cash. I am certain a percentage DOES go to support the museum, but am equally positive the vendors themselves are making a large profit. What I DO take issue with, however, is the equipment itself, specifically the joystick controls. Seriously, there was so much electrical tape covering buttons (i.e. the hat switch), that the controls looked shabby.

All in all, it did not impress me. And in my opinion, the cost is WAY too high. NC

Blog Entries
    I just had this mental picture of the Disneyland sign that says "You must be this tall to ride the....."

This sign said..."Wait your turn to crash and burn".

Twenty bucks...I don't know, doesn't blow my skirt up, although it would still be fun to do it just once.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Just getting them installed when I was stationed there, but have been back and took a quick look, recognized the software and continued walking. After all, it is a tourist spot for the general public so very vanilla sims for some 12yr old to say he trapped on a boat (of course way off centerline and over 250kts).
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Just getting them installed when I was stationed there, but have been back and took a quick look, recognized the software and continued walking. After all, it is a tourist spot for the general public so very vanilla sims for some 12yr old to say he trapped on a boat (of course way off centerline and over 250kts).
    Yep, agree, except that they didn't even include a carrier to trap onto. Nothing except NAS Pensacola runways, if you can find the base quickly, and make a fast descent for a 300 plus knots touch and go! No way to extend spoilers. None of that. I get it with targeting kids as a ancient for it. But they could at least update the software and maybe better joystick controls, or replace the ones they have. Just my view. NC

Your Mileage may Vary

Having (just) arrived home from a 5300 mile road trip (the long story to follow), I can say that some places are better than others.

At the Bushpilot Museum in Sault Ste. Marie they had some hokey, kid-type sim with X-Box controllers (yuck).

I didn't have a chance to try the computer classroom at the MAPS Museum in Canton, OH but they have 20 workstations networked that I probably could have tried if the IT guy was around.

However The TWA Museum at KMKC has a multi-screen FSX-based Connie Cockpit with Saitek yokes (dual) and a 4-throttle/props/flaps setup with keyboard for other controls. The museum volunteer asked if I'd like to try it (free). The basic plan is a coached takeoff, circuit and approach, but when he found I could handle a Connie we did a longer approach to a full-stop and taxi off to the ramp - and then spent 20 minutes talking FlightSim. Only drawback is that is built to real Connie dimensions with cheap seats so it's a bit awkward to reach throttles and keyboard (the 'coach' will help).

Across the field at the Airline History Museum they had a more "household" FSX setup for which they charged $10 for 15 minutes (I passed because it was in use).

So, be choosy and you sometimes find 'gold'.

Sims aside, all the museums were worth the time and money - I'll post the story and pics as I have time.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Finally getting around to downloading and editing the 1700 images from the trip. Here's the TWA Museum Connie simulator
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TWA-mus-sim1.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

The only Aviation museum I've ever been to was the Smithsonian in Washington DC, back in the 60's. I spent 3 days,and still didn't see everything. I would have loved to have all the time I needed. Amazing to me, but then, I was just a little kid. 8 or 9 years old. I still remember it like it was yesterday, though.
    I don't know what it's like today. Be interesting to see sometime. NOT on the interweb, but in person. You pick up little details and nuances better...

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0