BMW - The Ultimate Flying Machine

Thread: BMW - The Ultimate Flying Machine

BMW - The Ultimate Flying Machine

Before they made fine automobiles, they made fine aircraft engines. In fact, I read recently that their well known blue and white logo represents a propeller spinning in the blue Bavarian sky. One of their greatest successes is the BMW 801, which will be powering the soon-to-be-released Fw 190A. We've tried to represent the workings of this engine as accurately as possible, including its unique Kommandogerat and an inertia starter with a realistic startup procedure. Here's a video taking the A-4 model for a quick flight around the patch. See how many new features you can identify.

https://youtu.be/0eIwGNdpemY

Also, anyone know how to embed a video in a thread? Or is that not an option here?

Last edited by hairyspin; September 18th, 2017 at 09:58.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Not a CFS3 user but am an FW fan - IIRC that inertial starter crank is inserted in the top of the engine cowling. How about a slight side-to-side rocking motion during the wind-up to simulate the ground crew cranking hard on that lever? I've never seen an inertial starter used on an FW that didn't need some hefty turning prior to start.

According the manual I have, the crank was inserted on the left side, but I have seen a video of an Fw 190D being handcranked and that crank was on top. I can't make the wings rock unfortunately, but the 190 was equipped with an electrical motor to spool up the flywheel in addition to being able to be hand cranked. The battery had enough juice for two starts, or, an external power cart could be hooked up to supply power instead of using the aircraft's battery. So we'll say we're using electrical power for this one.

Members +
    Actually, the BMW logo does not represent a propeller!The BMW Roundel was actually registered more than 95 years ago and has since gone on to become one of the world’s most recognized commercial symbols. Many people believe the design is connected with aircraft engines because of the apparent ‘spinning propellers’ but this is just a myth, as the interesting history of the Roundel reveals…In July 1917, Franz Josef Popp registered the name Bayerische Motoren Werke, thus distancing the new company from the former Rapp Motorenwerke aero engine company. This was a necessary move if the new company was to find new clients and prosper. While the name was registered there wasn’t yet a new logo.It was on October 5, 1917 the BMW trademark was registered with the Imperial Trade Mark Roll under No. 221388. It featured the circular design of the Rapp logo but with the letters BMW at the top of the outer ring. The inner quadrants featured*the Bavarian Free State colors of blue and white – but in the opposite order – as it was illegal to use national symbols in a commercial trademark.The design was not in any way connected with aircraft engines or propellers. The idea that the blue and white had anything to do with spinning propellers comes from a 1929 advertisement, which featured aircraft with the image of the Roundel in the rotating propellers. This advertisement came at the beginning of the Great Depression, which coincided with BMW acquiring the license to build Pratt & Whitney radial aircraft engines. The advertising department used the Roundel and BMW heritage in an attempt to increase sales of the new radial motors.But, it does make a nice story!

Embedding YouTube videos

If you click on Dan's original link to YouTube you'll get the video opening in another window. Copy the URL from the window's address bar, it'll be something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1234ABCD

When posting this to the forum, click the button Insert Video and paste that address into the dialogue that pops up. This doesn't work when doing this from a phone - not from mine anyway - 'cos you get the mobile-specific site instead.

I've edited your post, Dan, to embed the video you want.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks Tom!

zswobbie1, thanks for that, I had no idea.

BTW, the 190D didn't have the air-cooled BMW 801 radial engine, it used the Junkers Jumo 213, a V12 liquid-cooled motor.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Yep, this is the A model, as evidenced by the lack of a coolant gauge in the cockpit, among other things. I only mentioned the D model discussing the different positions of the hand crank.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Yep, this is the A model, as evidenced by the lack of a coolant gauge in the cockpit, among other things. I only mentioned the D model discussing the different positions of the hand crank.
    The cockpit looks gorgeous. Wich plane is this one? An A our a Dora?

Anton! An A-4 to be exact. There will be several versions represented in this package, from A-1 to A-4.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Anton! An A-4 to be exact. There will be several versions represented in this package, from A-1 to A-4.
    Thanks! It seems wonderful. Thats funny this team working in such an old game. Seems that the oldest the better...

You brilliant fellows...! Beautiful job of the 190...no quibbles at all

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding work !! Really immersive and looks like she handles very well indeed. Looking forward to its release. Thank you !! Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 0