Douglas A-20G Havoc for CFS2 released! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Douglas A-20G Havoc for CFS2 released!

Icon26

Hey Milton, your newer mdl's put the icing on the cake.
    Thank you for putting in the time for this. It's top shelf!

Cheerz,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Hey Milton, your newer mdl's put the icing on the cake.
    Thank you for putting in the time for this. It's top shelf!

Cheerz,
    Dave
    That's great to hear Dave :-)

Do you need any help with the radio equipment on the right side? They are all just bmps, no gauges.

And also, I set up night textures for most of the cockpit area with back lit gauges (side walls, equipment, angled panels, and panel) so I'm not sure how that all works in CFS2.
    If I need to remove them, let me know. These are represented as xxx_L.bmps in the texture folders.

I assume you have to substitute all my gauges and if gauge backlighting works in CFS2, as long as you maintain the current gauge positions and sizes, that should work well.
    The vc01_L.bmp in the texture folders is the gauge backlighting mask.

EDIT: The glass looks a bit too transparent in the exterior spot views. I assume you can change that, otherwise, I will be happy to adjust it in the models.

Milton
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Oh yeah, all of the items you mentioned will be corrected for CFS2, though this sim does not use light mask. It's general ambient lighting in the VC.

I was just so excited my pic was posted with out all of the items being sorted yet.

Captinmercy is taking care of the gauges and cfg for the cockpit, and I might add, doing a fine piece of work.

Till Later, Dave

Oh yeah, all of the items you mentioned will be corrected for CFS2, though this sim does not use light mask. It's general ambient lighting in the VC.

I was just so excited my pic was posted with out all of the items being sorted yet.

Captinmercy is taking care of the gauges and cfg for the cockpit, and I might add, doing a fine piece of work.

Till Later, Dave

Ah, great to hear then Dave.

Hmmm, seems CaptMercy used to fly DeHavillands in a former life if my memory serves me correctly. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Ah, great to hear then Dave.

Hmmm, seems CaptMercy used to fly DeHavillands in a former life if my memory serves me correctly. :-)
    HEY Uncle Milton
    Enjoying retirement like yourself trying to talk Dave into retiring early work keeps interfering with his awesome work here.

Thanks for the help
    PD

Quote Originally Posted by captmercy View Post
    HEY Uncle Milton
    Enjoying retirement like yourself trying to talk Dave into retiring early work keeps interfering with his awesome work here.

Thanks for the help
    PD
    LOL PD, I agree; retirement has been awesome for me and the wife and I am fortunate to give sim projects a lot of hours each day, or not, as I choose.

Life is good.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Cool Roger That Milton!!!

A Little Glitch

Almost finished with the G but ran into an oddity. The glass materials are set @ zero transparency (255 255 255, 255). How it works in cfs2. 0 0 0, 0 is 100& transparent.

The vc panel is showing through when it shouldn't. Noticed this when the glass was transparent so did this to verify. I'm thinking we need a separate bmp for the general model. Its odd that it picks the vc panel with the gauges to be drawn in this situation. Or I should say different then what I'm used to seeing. Shouldn't the sim search the texture folders for bmp's and not the panel folder? Anyway, need some shut eye. I'll be back,
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bug.jpg  

Almost finished with the G but ran into an oddity. The glass materials are set @ zero transparency (255 255 255, 255). How it works in cfs2. 0 0 0, 0 is 100& transparent.

The vc panel is showing through when it shouldn't. Noticed this when the glass was transparent so did this to verify. I'm thinking we need a separate bmp for the general model. Its odd that it picks the vc panel with the gauges to be drawn in this situation. Or I should say different then what I'm used to seeing. Shouldn't the sim search the texture folders for bmp's and not the panel folder? Anyway, need some shut eye. I'll be back,
    Dave
    Dave, I may need to correct that for you if you cannot resolve it. I treat the external VC and panel the same as the interior VC and panel in that the gauges and controls are all function in the external model (as you would in a small open air cockpit).

The fix is to texture the external panel with a texture other than vc01.bmp so it does not pull in the VC panel. If you cannot do that, I will do it for you and re-export both models.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

There is a new repaint on its way..... the texture size in which I upload them is 1024 x1024 and 32bits. Do you need anything specific for CFS2? I know CFS2 can handle the textures format, but I assume that 32 bits is a bit too much for CFS2.

BTW beside the Pacific based repaints I also have done two for the ETO. When you want me to do a specific one or a generic one just ask!

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    There is a new repaint on its way..... the texture size in which I upload them is 1024 x1024 and 32bits. Do you need anything specific for CFS2? I know CFS2 can handle the textures format, but I assume that 32 bits is a bit too much for CFS2.

BTW beside the Pacific based repaints I also have done two for the ETO. When you want me to do a specific one or a generic one just ask!

Cheers,
    Huub
    thanks your repaints are pieces of art please post all u can we should be releasing this plane with in a couple weeks....
    DTX3 works fine for CFS2 also as long as alpha is correct for cfs2
    PD

Dave, et al,

I have modified the A-20C and the G to use a standard texture for the exterior cockpit panel. This seems to resolve the issue in my testing.

I am attaching mod'd C and G model folders plus one DXT1 texture for the exterior panel.

Hope this helps, should you need it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by captmercy View Post
    thanks your repaints are pieces of art please post all u can we should be releasing this plane with in a couple weeks....
    DTX3 works fine for CFS2 also as long as alpha is correct for cfs2
    PD
    I think all the exterior body textures use no alpha channels at all. For those that do not, DXT1 will be a better option if CFS2 supports that.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The next one is available in the FS2004 library:

Feel free to convert and include in any future package. As said already by Milton, no alphas are used in these textures. Perhaps I will do a reflective skin in the distant future, but so far it always a "flat" repaint.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Dave, et al,

I have modified the A-20C and the G to use a standard texture for the exterior cockpit panel. This seems to resolve the issue in my testing.

I am attaching mod'd C and G model folders plus one DXT1 texture for the exterior panel.

Hope this helps, should you need it.
    Hello Milton,

Though no tested yet, my gut tells me this will work. My gut also tells me it wants some breakfast.
    Thank you again Milt. I'll keep you posted.
    Dv

RAAF 22nd SQ

Hey! Huub Vink how bout this one

Hi captmercy,

To start with the good news, this one was already on my "to do list".

But there is something weird about this plane. It is most likely the Boston which flew most missions for the RAAF,, however I'm not sure what type it was and in what scheme it was painted.

The first Bostons from the RAAF were the Bostons III ordered by the Dutch for the Netherlands East Indies, but which arrived too late. These were Bostons with greenhouse noses. After arrival four .50 machine guns were mounted in the nose, after which the complete nose was repainted. The profile you posted shows an aircraft like this.

The plastic models however show the G model. There is photographic evidence that teh Australians used G's as well, but I really don't know whether the aircraft mentioned in your post was a converted Boston model A or a real G, which was purchased at a later date.

There is also a bit of confusing about the scheme in which it was painted. Some images suggest it was a G in standard USAAF finish (Olive drab with medium grey) others suggest it was painted in the standard RAF scheme (dark green/dark earth/sky), some sources suggest that it was originally delivered in the standard USAAF scheme on which a camouflage pattern was added with dark earth or dark green.

So there are plenty of possibilities to choose from......................

For further reading : http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseu...ang/boston.htm

Cheers,
    Huub

For All of Those Involved

Hi Guys,

Just to let everyone know, I'm taking advantage of the Labor Day holiday. The wife and I are heading out for three days. R & R. Camping with some friends and seeing if the fish laugh at the latest lures in my tackle box. So I'll resume our little project in three days.

Take Care Y'all,
    Dave

Hi Guys,

Just to let everyone know, I'm taking advantage of the Labor Day holiday. The wife and I are heading out for three days. R & R. Camping with some friends and seeing if the fish laugh at the latest lures in my tackle box. So I'll resume our little project in three days.

Take Care Y'all,
    Dave
    Have a great time Dave :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2011
    Blog Entries

Australian A-20's

To huub vink

For more informations about Australian A-20'S, just check this site: http://www.adf-gallery.com.au. Open page RAAF Series Two, and scroll down to A28 - Douglas A-20C Boston/Havoc.

You'll get detailed informations about all Bostons used in the RAAF.

More generally, this site has provided me with lots of informations for my own repaints.

Have fun.

François

Thanks for the link Francois. It makes things more clear, but it also proves that A28-9 DU-K was a Boston III, which model is not covered by Milton's series.

What is also sure now is that it was painted in a RAF scheme as it was originally flown with 18sqn of the Netherlands East Indies Forces.

Perhaps I will do a G and pretend it is a modified Boston III........

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for the link Francois. It makes things more clear, but it also proves that A28-9 DU-K was a Boston III, which model is not covered by Milton's series.

What is also sure now is that it was painted in a RAF scheme as it was originally flown with 18sqn of the Netherlands East Indies Forces.

Perhaps I will do a G and pretend it is a modified Boston III........

Cheers,
    Huub
    Huub,

The DB-7B/Boston III is most like the A-20C. But an early G would also be turret-less but without the plexi nose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bostonh.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I know Milton, but what I actually tried to say is that between the models you did isn't a real suitable candidate to make this repaint on. The nose of the A-20C can't be painted and it does not have the four machine guns. The A-20G has a different nose and of course the turret.

The A-70s and especially the A1 version are perhaps even more suitable, but they have their antennas and wrong gun formation.

So that's why I have to choose an other model and currently the G version would be the easiest option for me as that is the only version I have a usable paintkit for.

And I won't ask you to do a A-20C with nose which can be painted and 4 machine guns, as there are already enough models to enjoy.

Cheers,
    Huub

I know Milton, but what I actually tried to say is that between the models you did isn't a real suitable candidate to make this repaint on. The nose of the A-20C can't be painted and it does not have the four machine guns. The A-20G has a different nose and of course the turret.

The A-70s and especially the A1 version are perhaps even more suitable, but they have their antennas and wrong gun formation.

So that's why I have to choose an other model and currently the G version would be the easiest option for me as that is the only version I have a usable paintkit for.

And I won't ask you to do a A-20C with nose which can be painted and 4 machine guns, as there are already enough models to enjoy.

Cheers,
    Huub
    I understand Huub; thank you for the consideration. BTW, Wellis is working to consolidate some layers in the paint kits to ease the burden.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 0