Computer shutting Down in P3D - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Computer shutting Down in P3D

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    My system was doing this. I ran across an article about PSU leads mysteriously grounding to the case. I moved some un-used leads about, so they didn't touch anything, and it fixed it. Of course, I found this out after I replaced what was probably a perfectly good PSU! The brand new one did the same thing until I moved those leads.
    Sue
    Thanks Sue, one more thing I can go back and check. . . .the only thing that is odd is that this only happens when I'm flying. If I were to load P3D first thing in the morning and go flying, after about 15 minutes or so the PC would go dark. . .everything off. If I then reset and get back into Win10 and spend the rest of the day surfing the net it would run without a single glitch.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

The funky thing about PSU's is how the power is distributed...and how various components inside the unit distribute the power. It explains (sort of) why the CPU and video card shut down and peripherals can still run. There is likely a bad component that overheats. Since P3Dv4 utilizes the video card to a much higher degree than FSX or even earlier versions of P3D, the power supply is handling a larger wattage, which equals more heat. Just my two cents...and I've been down this road myself.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    The funky thing about PSU's is how the power is distributed...and how various components inside the unit distribute the power. It explains (sort of) why the CPU and video card shut down and peripherals can still run. There is likely a bad component that overheats. Since P3Dv4 utilizes the video card to a much higher degree than FSX or even earlier versions of P3D, the power supply is handling a larger wattage, which equals more heat. Just my two cents...and I've been down this road myself.
    I have eliminated overheating as a contributor. I have several monitoring programs that I run side by side with P3D_V4 while in the air over various terrains and amounts of autogen. Unless the CPU or GPU suddenly spikes to 198F from 98F in the split second it takes for everything to go black and die, then it isn't overheating. . .it is a faulty PSU. I'm sure I could send it over to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and let them discover (maybe) what the problem is and they could charge me $45 or $50 to run the diagnostics and maybe find the problem and if it is the PSU then I'm looking at another $75 to $80 (at least) for a better PSU. Financially, I can just get enough together to get a new PSU and not pay something else til next month. . .and that's about it.

To be honest, aside from watching the temps and CPU/GPU usage while running V4, the rest of the information shown on these monitoring apps is of no intellectual use to someone who doesn't understand them or know what he's looking at. The only thing that stands out while I'm fling is that the CPU is almost constantly running at 100% capacity. It does fluctuate constantly, but in the end the averages for all 4 cores displays thus. . . .Core0=100%, Core1=98%, Core2=100%, Core3=100%.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I have eliminated overheating as a contributor. I have several monitoring programs that I run side by side with P3D_V4 while in the air over various terrains and amounts of autogen. Unless the CPU or GPU suddenly spikes to 198F from 98F in the split second it takes for everything to go black and die, then it isn't overheating. . .it is a faulty PSU.
    The overheating I was referring to takes place inside the PSU and thus would not show up in your temperature monitoring of the CPU or GPU. The bigger draw on current is likely pushing something inside the PSU over the edge, as you referenced in your "Update" thread.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Members who have read this thread: 0