Computer shutting Down in P3D - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer shutting Down in P3D

Could it be some tricky power management in Windows ?
    Like, Windows switching to sleep mode without asking you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Could it be some tricky power management in Windows ?
    Like, Windows switching to sleep mode without asking you ?
    I went through every power setting I could find (and there are far more than the average PC user realizes) and made sure that especially "Hibernation" and "Sleep" were not options. Realistically though, this is something that happened before the current reinstallation of Win10 and had those settings been a problem, it would have been happening long before this.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Window update KB4038788 has been reported as causing P3Dv3 & v4 to CTD.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewto...=6312&t=126667
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Thanks, I'm looking into that now, however I doubt that is causing my problem. Event Viewer makes no mention of P3D as a cause or contributor to this particular problem, it is always "Critical_Kernel-Power"_Event ID: 41_Task Category: (63)

Current System Specs:

I'm glad to know it's not heat. If your going to pick up a new PSU make sure it's rated 80+, and if you can find a deal on a
    modular one even better.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

The error you get suggests it's a hardware problem. Disabled any overclock on the CPU might do the trick, also check your voltages on the VCore. If you are unable to access your BIOS you can try clearing the CMOS on the motherboard.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

NVidia drivers? I've had black screens during simming with finicky GTX drivers in the past. Apparently the latest (385.41) is a dog. Windows may have sneaked an update in on you, or maybe you upgraded?
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post

Read the posts but no problem here with that update or Nvidia drivers...
    Regards

Have you checked all components are seated properly and dust free within the PC. I would consider removing every component one at a time, compressed air to remove any dust and re-seat. I haven't read all the thread so apologies if this has been done/suggested etc....
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blog Entries
    Ed, I'm not experiencing your exact CTD, but many times since the last Windows update the computer goes to black screen and is in-recoverable. This has happened many times when I have left programs or Prepar3D open, and I leave the desk for a period of time. Maybe ten to fifteen minutes later I come back to black screen that requires a hard shut down and re-boot.

I'm not sure if it applies to you, and I know you don't appreciate non-specific data, but it may help you in your search parameters.

Hope you get it sorted out.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Have you checked all components are seated properly and dust free within the PC. I would consider removing every component one at a time, compressed air to remove any dust and re-seat. I haven't read all the thread so apologies if this has been done/suggested etc....
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think since this problem began, I have used compressed air to blow out just about everything I can think of, lol (I'm considering investing in a small compressor and air fitting to get better pressure than the store bought cans, lol). I am going to continue to search for a reason this is happening as it has put a halt on any flying. Now that I no longer do scenery design and was never great at doing liveries, Flying in V4 is all I have left as a reason to stay in the hobby. This is a frustrating problem with so many varying reasons for it happening that it's like chasing a ghost. Hopefully I'll get to the source of the problem soon and get back to flying.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Ed, I'm not experiencing your exact CTD, but many times since the last Windows update the computer goes to black screen and is in-recoverable. This has happened many times when I have left programs or Prepar3D open, and I leave the desk for a period of time. Maybe ten to fifteen minutes later I come back to black screen that requires a hard shut down and re-boot.

I'm not sure if it applies to you, and I know you don't appreciate non-specific data, but it may help you in your search parameters.
    Hope you get it sorted out.
    Thanks Gordon, it does sound very much like what's happening to me, but I get the impression that even after your monitors go black the system itself continues to run in the background, you just can't get to it. In my case, everything shuts down and I don't know how else to describe it except that all functions stop, yet some external items (throttle and joystick and USB fan) remain active. Once I turn off the power switch to the power supply, those shut down also. I am hoping that replacing the power supply next week will correct the problem. . .if it doesn't then I really will be at a loss as to how to correct it.

Current System Specs:

Looking for information on my current PSU was a bit tough since all decals were on the side I couldn't access, lol. Eventually I found a number and Googled that and came up with a 600W Thermaltake. I'm currently looking at a 750W on E-Bay (New) for $41.00.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    Funny thing is Ed,

I do hear the system fans, GPU, CPU continue running, but all of my peripherals are frozen. The keyboard and mouse are locked out, so I can't query the system...it is just a black screen and completely frozen. My only choice is to shut down by holding down the power button for five seconds. All work that may be on screen is lost, but there is no way to go in and save once the freeze sets in.

I have had four or five instances in the last two weeks where I'll be working and the CPU/C:Drive begin grinding and churning away. I check my system stats and see the C:Drive grinding away at 100%. If I am running CS6/3DS Max, which are memory hungry, I might be lucky enough to save my work before she blows up. Most times not.

Invariably, in the next day or two the Windows Update "option" shows up in my Windows Power options when I go to shut down or restart the system.

Invariably, I begin to get the various anomalies and artefacts associated with the updates. Most recently I've had the black screen episodes similar to your experience.

This is wayyyyy over my head, but I'll ask a (former member) techie friend of mine. He may have some insights and advice. He helped me with the complete rebuild Windows re-install I did last winter which, by the way, MS have managed to infiltrate...again...with stuff I don't want.

Hate to see you going through all of these issues lately, but if there is any solace in it, you are by all means...not alone.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    OK Ed,

I heard back from my Tech friend. Below are the excerpts relevant to this conversation.

"I’m hearing more and more about this thing...It doesn’t happen with people running OpenGL games either, which is why I’m thinking of DirectX.*

It seems to me that the latest builds of Windows with their respective version of DirectX are the culprits. *Sadly I don’t know of a fix yet.*
    ...sometimes rolling back to previous drivers of the card will alleviate this.
    For the time being, roll back to a previous version of the Nvidia Gforce drivers, disable the Physx and Experience. *Just cleanly install the drivers..."

Might be worth having a look...hope it is helpful.
    Thomas Jefferson

Falcon..... just in browsing to day I came across this YT video which may be able to assist you in tracking down the reason for your crashes

It involves use of a free service at this website http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze

The video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mu2xBociw

There is no danger here as it involves just an analysis of a text file which is hidden in Windows c:\Windows\Minidump

Good luck.

Alex.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Falcon..... just in browsing to day I came across this YT video which may be able to assist you in tracking down the reason for your crashes
    It involves use of a free service at this website http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze
    The video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mu2xBociw
    There is no danger here as it involves just an analysis of a text file which is hidden in Windows c:\Windows\Minidump
    Good luck.
    Alex.
    Gave this a try, I took to the skies once again in V4 and after about 15-20 minutes the system died. . . . .however, whatever the cause, it does not trigger any kind of information log that shows up in the "Minidump" folder (which I had to make as there was no such folder to begin with).

Current System Specs:

Time to put this one to bed I think. Last evening I removed the main components (PSU, Video Card, Memory, CPU, heatsinks), then dusted, cleaned, hit everything with compressed air, gave the Motherboard a once over looking for any signs of overheating (bulged or leaking capacitors, etc), then put everything back together making sure all components were seated correctly, no loose connects, yada, yada, yada. Turned the system back on, got into Win10 and loaded CPUID to monitor everything to see if I could spot anything obvious. Ran Prepar3D_V4 and took a short hop from North Texas Regional to Sherman Municipal (about 5nm as the crow flies). Landed, parked the Heli and watched the replay and just as the Heli was about to set down by the Terminal the PC shut down.

While monitoring the systems, all Temps were well within the normal range, rendering any overheating as a non-issue. If it is the PSU as I suspect (like what else could it be?), I saw nothing in the readings to indicate that the PC was about to go black. Since it is a complete shutdown and instantaneous, I don't know that I would have detected it anyway. Anyway, I will replace the PSU (a 600W Thermaltake) and replace it with a 750W and hope that this fixes the problem. Until then, the PC will get very little use as Flying is about the only reason I have it. . .I can check mail, use Google and Facebook on my iPhone.

Current System Specs:

I'm out of ideas, it is very dispiriting, I've been there too.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Ed, I know you have checked your power settings, but googling sugests that the most frequent cause of unexpected shutdowns seems to be power settings. Display and pc should be set to "never" sleep or hibernate in all instances.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Did you try clearing the CMOS? It resets everything on the motherboard.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Display and pc should be set to "never" sleep or hibernate in all instances.
    I've always let my monitor sleep after five minutes with no ill effects, a necessity at my age with the inadvertent naps.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Ed, I know you have checked your power settings, but googling suggests that the most frequent cause of unexpected shutdowns seems to be power settings. Display and pc should be set to "never" sleep or hibernate in all instances.
    Thanks Roger. . .Yea, all those settings were checked and rechecked several times so far and unless something is hidden that I haven't found all are set to "Never".

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Montie View Post
    Did you try clearing the CMOS? It resets everything on the motherboard.
    Yes, no change!

Current System Specs:

My system was doing this. I ran across an article about PSU leads mysteriously grounding to the case. I moved some un-used leads about, so they didn't touch anything, and it fixed it. Of course, I found this out after I replaced what was probably a perfectly good PSU! The brand new one did the same thing until I moved those leads.
    Sue

Members who have read this thread: 0