How to ad airplanes to P3D v4?

Thread: How to ad airplanes to P3D v4?

How to ad airplanes to P3D v4?

I got v4 last week and had never before a version of P3D.
    How can i move planes from FSX to P3D,which don`t have an installer for P3D?
    Thank you
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    I got v4 last week and had never before a version of P3D.
    How can i move planes from FSX to P3D,which don`t have an installer for P3D?
    Thank you
    Mike
    In cases where I had no installer specifically for V4, I would make a folder on the desktop and install to that folder (if the installer would accept that as an option), then I would just move the files into their respective folders in V4.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thanks Ed.
    My CH FW190 installers only point to my FSX installation and i don`t know which files i need for v4.
    Does the Douglas C-47 will work the way you`ve described?
    Mike

Thumbs up

Mike some FSX AC won't work in V4 (due to some gauges being .gau or .dll compiled in 32 bits) as V4 is 64 bits. I any case you can still try renaming you fsx folder to fsxoriginal and creating another FSX folder next to it , copy FSX.exe from he original and retry the install. If the installer works , then you will have the files and folders you need to create a P3D compliant add-on or do as falcon409 suggested...(not recommended..,as if it does not work you may damage your SIM..)

Jorge

My quick and dirty method works for me and it is a good indicator of what is P3D4 compatible or not.
    Install into FSX, copy to P3D and copy applicable gauges from FSX folder, however, in some cases textures will be missing and you just have to pass on that aircraft.
    Much to my annoyance I found certain 'FSX' aircraft that work fine under P3D3 do not under P3D4.
    I experiment, the learning curve is not really steep, and all you do if you screw up your P3D4 installation is hit the repair option!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

wombat , " I found certain 'FSX' aircraft that work fine under P3D3 do not under P3D4." it is all to do with the gauges and sound , if the gaugeas are .xml type will most probably work in V3 but if they are .gau or .dll will not ( Fsx is 32 bits as is PeD V3 )...

If you like to experiment , read the Learning Centre Add-ons section and try Add-on packages ..it is the best and safest way..also install to a dummy folder so you have the subfolders and files isolated from the root P3D

Jorge

Thank you very much,guys.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by aeronauta View Post
    . . . . .or do as falcon409 suggested...(not recommended...as if it does not work you may damage your SIM..)
    Jorge
    Could you expand on that? How would my suggestion damage the Sim?

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by aeronauta View Post
    wombat , " I found certain 'FSX' aircraft that work fine under P3D3 do not under P3D4." it is all to do with the gauges and sound , if the gaugeas are .xml type will most probably work in V3 but if they are .gau or .dll will not ( Fsx is 32 bits as is PeD V3 )...

If you like to experiment , read the Learning Centre Add-ons section and try Add-on packages ..it is the best and safest way..also install to a dummy folder so you have the subfolders and files isolated from the root P3D

Jorge
    I like to live close to the edge....................
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Could you expand on that? How would my suggestion damage the Sim?
    Yes, me too. I have been adding planes the obvious way - installer pointed at V4 OR just pasting the folder over from FSX. Simple.

Yet to see a clear explanation of how this could damage the sim. The "other" way - the explanations I have seen are akin to needing to be a coder at MS - makes P3DV4 not enough fun to bother with. I'm with Ed on this.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Guys , the problem is that if you place a bad (incompatible file) file in the SIM it could fail to start or CTD , look in the forums and you will see many instances of this , BUT... the problem is not that us the end user has to become a programmer for anybody , it is the developers of the products that do not do the right thing and use us (and our money) to make their things work... on the other hand we want to get Non Compatibe AC into V4 thinking that if we replace a Ford engine part with a GM one it will work , or maybe work? ...or maybe break the whole thing ?? we take our chance ...
    As I said before if you want to learn more see the Learning Centre but read carefully as it clearly states the procedures for DEVELOPERS to deliver their products.

Jorge

ps some interesting reading...
    https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...soundsactions/

My rules for moving/installing aircraft into P3D_V4:
    1) If it is a P3D_V4 compiled Aircraft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Good to go
    2) If it is a P3D compiled aircraft and has no 32bit "dll" that would require replacement. . .Good to go
    3) If you have a "Native FSX" aircraft (no 32bit dll's and no "gau or dll" gauges). . . .Good to go
    4) If you have a "Native FSX" aircraft that relies solely on gau or dll gauges or a mixture of the two. . .your discretion, but gauges will not display
    5) If you try to push an FS9 aircraft that is considered "FSX Compatible" into V4. . . .forgetaboutit

It is my personal view that none of these, most certainly items 1 thru 4, will damage the Sim in the sense that you would be faced with a complete reinstall of the Sim. You may get a "lockup". . .you may get a CTD (but I doubt it). . . but I've gotten those before when trying to load Sim-specific aircraft. Even item 5, wont damage the Sim. It might not load, it might load with no wings, no landing gears, opaque windscreens or no textures. . .but it won't damage the Sim in the way I think of the Sim being "damaged". I've never had to reinstall a Sim because an airplane was incompatible.

This info is what I've found to be true on my systems (and I've had at least 6 since Pro Pilot). I do stupid crap all the time (this latest debacle is proof of that). . .I've had to reinstall Operating Systems, I've had to reinstall Sims more times than I care to think about and I turn right around and do the same stupid stuff all over again, but in all those years with all those mistakes, not once have I seen a Sim go down and need to be reinstalled because of an incompatible airplane and I use the very technique I posted above whenever the installer allows.
    Last edited by falcon409; September 14th, 2017 at 21:12.

Current System Specs:

Completely agree Ed.

1 - 4, I don't think twice about - simple to manage.

Re 5, I have certainly tried in hope of getting some FS9 flyables to work - with no success - and almost always get a CTD or more often freeze of P3D4. But I don't get how that might actually alter or amend some file entries in the sim install or registry.

It may be I have misunderstood the "xml" method. Yes, I get that if you satellite park airplanes, ai, scenery et outside of our core P3D (as suggested by LM) that saves a lot of bother when v 5 appears. I have in fact amended my PD3.cfg to do just that to save space on my SSD drive. Works fine AND well worth the one-time effort involved. But I have also read that others seem to say you need go into an xml addon folder somewhere and then write 10-12 lines of xml text - for each add on. Yes I could do that but for each plane added that's ridiculous and also the user error factor is a bit high. At least for me. LOL!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 0