P-61 project...?

Thread: P-61 project...?

P-61 project...?

I saw this and was wondering what happened..?

Robert was working on this project with someone else from the SOH crew many years ago. It was halted for some reason and shelved. About a month or two ago Robert resurfaced and mentioned that he still works on it when time allows (he's working another project for a payware developer) and wants to get it completed and released, but it's not anything that will be forthcoming. . .and not for quite some time to come actually.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Robert was working on this project with someone else from the SOH crew many years ago. It was halted for some reason and shelved. About a month or two ago Robert resurfaced and mentioned that he still works on it when time allows (he's working another project for a payware developer) and wants to get it completed and released, but it's not anything that will be forthcoming. . .and not for quite some time to come actually.

Its an interesting aircraft, I hope someone else feels the same...

Yes. It is interesting. In looking at the video it seems about complete, so I don't understand what is needed to finish it.

Almost wish Milton and team would take this on (with Robert's approval) and complete it like what they're doing with the A-20 series.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Yes. It is interesting. In looking at the video it seems about complete, so I don't understand what is needed to finish it.
    Almost wish Milton and team would take this on (with Robert's approval) and complete it like what they're doing with the A-20 series.
    In the video, it does appear that the gauges are more "placeholders" than finished 3D gauges (if that was ever the plan). Also, the VC doesn't show a lot of the detail that Robert showed in early WIP shots. I seem to remember a lot of the radios and other avionics packages look pretty detailed. . .this VC looks stark by comparison. If those details were added after this video was shot that would be a real plus!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

That massive dev thread which accompanied the project was my favourite one for a long time. There's a huge load of interesting information in it. Glad the project doesn't have to RIP!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    That massive dev thread which accompanied the project was my favourite one for a long time. There's a huge load of interesting information in it. Glad the project doesn't have to RIP!

Cheers,
    Mark
    I found the dev thread, I had no idea how large this project was...

Blog Entries
    I took the project over from the original dev. Please forgive my loss of memory. It's been years. Robert came on board as the 3D modeler and he, I and Paul Frimston worked on it for a couple of years till Robert assumed complete ownership and disappeared with it.. It's one of th reasons I left flight simming..
    Pam/Warchild

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post

Warhorse:
    There was a great deal that needed completion. I may be angry at Robert still for disappearing, but I admired the man. He is the immaculate perfectionist and what he was doing to the interior of the plane was jaw dropping to say the very least. He has gone through hundreds if not thousands of photographs to bring that plane into life, in the truest and most authentic form he possibly could. He took no shortcuts.
    For my part, an Paul Frimtons part, we dove further into that FDE than even Pauls beloved B2 Delta; Delta558. We almost had the flight model perfect..

Blog Entries

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark?? Would you have the link for that thread?? Would you mind sharing it?? I ant seem to find it any more..
    Thanks
    Pam/Warchild

This was a great project. The P-61 is such a magnificent airplane and completely missing from the FS world. A shame! I am sad that this one didn't find it's way to completion. Pam, that You Tube you posted here, from a few years ago, is still one of my favorites of all time.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Mark?? Would you have the link for that thread?? Would you mind sharing it?? I ant seem to find it any more..
    Thanks
    Pam/Warchild

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...project/page46

Blog Entries
    Thank you, thank you thank you thank you... There i SO much in that thread. Needless to say although i remember a lot of it, i've forgotten so much, even the Maestro's name. I truly appreciate this..
    Pam/warchild

I guess I need to provide some sort of status regarding this project. Over time it became a very complex model. Exporting it became an issue to the point where I was actually spending a lot of time trying to simplify it just to get it into the sim. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I finally got to a point where between technical difficulties and burnout I finally had to put it on the shelf. To be clear, there was no desire to claim total ownership of anything. I just could not manage to get my vision of what it should be into the sim. If I failed to communicate that I am sorry. You have no idea how disappointing that was to me.

The project started out in Gmax. I now have it migrated to 3DS Max. I also have been able to overcome the issue of exporting mega-poly models in the course of working on my commercial product. While working on that project I have learned a lot of good stuff regarding modeling. Cool stuff like shadow baking, and optimizing the model to improve in-sim performance. All of this will go into the P-61 when I get back into it.

The only other bit that I am juggling is on a very personal note. My Dad passed away just after Christmas last year after a stunning degradation of his health over the course of about six months. He suffered a stroke, and shortly after that was diagnosed with cancer. It was devastating for me to watch him fade away so fast. Were it not for him this project (or any of my other ones) would probably not exist at all. One of my early releases was a Thorp T-18. Dad made 3 of them over time, and that was the plane that hooked me for life. When I realized I could recreate that plane in the virtual world... well, here we are. I started that model using the original design program known as Flight Shop in 1997. Over time I worked on it without a lot of reference material or modeling knowledge. I eventually released it, but now that I have solid info on it (actual blueprints) I discovered that it was pretty far off from the real thing (in my book). I have begun to revisit that project as a tribute to him.

So where am I at regarding the P-61? The commercial project is close to going Beta. Pending how that does in sales weighed against how much time I put into it will determine if I continue in that realm. I think I already know what that answer is going to be. That said, I would imagine a possible scenario where I am working on the P-61 in parallel with the Thorp Redux. It would be cool to somehow get the group together again, Teamspeak broke for me a long time ago. Never could figure out why.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer.
    Regards,
    Robert

Thanks
    Pam/Warchild
    Hey Pam,

I'm really delighted to see you chiming in here. I'm also sorry to read that there was trouble that caused you to leave. The link to that awesome thread is mentioned above. Thanks for posting it, I somehow was unable to find it and thought it was gone.

Cheers,
    Mark

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post
    I guess I need to provide some sort of status regarding this project. Over time it became a very complex model. Exporting it became an issue to the point where I was actually spending a lot of time trying to simplify it just to get it into the sim. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I finally got to a point where between technical difficulties and burnout I finally had to put it on the shelf. To be clear, there was no desire to claim total ownership of anything. I just could not manage to get my vision of what it should be into the sim. If I failed to communicate that I am sorry. You have no idea how disappointing that was to me.

The project started out in Gmax. I now have it migrated to 3DS Max. I also have been able to overcome the issue of exporting mega-poly models in the course of working on my commercial product. While working on that project I have learned a lot of good stuff regarding modeling. Cool stuff like shadow baking, and optimizing the model to improve in-sim performance. All of this will go into the P-61 when I get back into it.

The only other bit that I am juggling is on a very personal note. My Dad passed away just after Christmas last year after a stunning degradation of his health over the course of about six months. He suffered a stroke, and shortly after that was diagnosed with cancer. It was devastating for me to watch him fade away so fast. Were it not for him this project (or any of my other ones) would probably not exist at all. One of my early releases was a Thorp T-18. Dad made 3 of them over time, and that was the plane that hooked me for life. When I realized I could recreate that plane in the virtual world... well, here we are. I started that model using the original design program known as Flight Shop in 1997. Over time I worked on it without a lot of reference material or modeling knowledge. I eventually released it, but now that I have solid info on it (actual blueprints) I discovered that it was pretty far off from the real thing (in my book). I have begun to revisit that project as a tribute to him.

So where am I at regarding the P-61? The commercial project is close to going Beta. Pending how that does in sales weighed against how much time I put into it will determine if I continue in that realm. I think I already know what that answer is going to be. That said, I would imagine a possible scenario where I am working on the P-61 in parallel with the Thorp Redux. It would be cool to somehow get the group together again, Teamspeak broke for me a long time ago. Never could figure out why.

Real life and Family outweigh all other pursuits.
    Hope the Commercial Project does well and yes, it would be nice to see the 61 eventually come full circle.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Real life and Family outweigh all other pursuits.
    Hope the Commercial Project does well and yes, it would be nice to see the 61 eventually come full circle.
    Indeed sir.. Indeed, but please excuse me if i seem overly excited once again, as after all these years, our teams work, is still loved and wanted by this community. I wish I could make miracles, but i cant. However, that doesnt stop me from wanting too. You folks are the greaatest, and i truly wish i could move mountains for you..
    Pam/warchild.

Blog Entries
    Hey Pam,

I'm really delighted to see you chiming in here. I'm also sorry to read that there was trouble that caused you to leave. The link to that awesome thread is mentioned above. Thanks for posting it, I somehow was unable to find it and thought it was gone.

Cheers,
    Mark
    There was a great deal happening all at once back then. Yes, Robert made me angry, by needing a hiatus. After all, I'd been working fifteen to eighteen hours a day, seven days a week on that plane from its inception, and had gotten extremely pig headed about it (i.e. i was being an ass ). I had also just spent seven years developing a revolutionary flight model along with Paul Frimston, that i was in a hurry to get released with its corresponding plane because it not only hadnt been done before, it was mythological-y impossible to make a plane do those things in fsx. And it never came about either. And then there was my health, which in its plodding downhill gait, reach a point where i could o longer keep track of where i was at in a project or how to do the calculations. I was angriest at myself for ever having contracted this disease.. So, it wasnt just Robert's need for a hiatus. My entire life got turned upside down.. It's just that, the P-61 is a part of my soul, and its been really painful to not have it finished..
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post

@N2056
    Robert.
    Depending on how the beta turns out, if possible, you I and Paul Frimston should get together on Discord ( its free, its capable, it's easy and it works ) Not only do i just ant to shoot the ****, but yeah, gods willing and the creek dont rise, I'd love to get back together and finish this thing.. Best of luck on this release. I'll look forward too your reply.
    Always
    Pam

What a fantastic group of folks suddenly appearing after being away for so long. Like Mark, Tom was definitely one of those who followed the P-61 project with anticipation. Pam will remember me trying to get a realistic Black Widow for the Iwo Jima project that Mark and I did some years ago. I can only hope that some day Robert can bring this wonderful aircraft to our virtual stage. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Great to see some of the most talented folks back here at SOH. Thanks for making my day!!!!
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm overly patient but I always knew that somehow things would work out...it would awesome to have the team back together...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    What a fantastic group of folks suddenly appearing after being away for so long. Like Mark, Tom was definitely one of those who followed the P-61 project with anticipation. Pam will remember me trying to get a realistic Black Widow for the Iwo Jima project that Mark and I did some years ago. I can only hope that some day Robert can bring this wonderful aircraft to our virtual stage. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Great to see some of the most talented folks back here at SOH. Thanks for making my day!!!!
    Hey Tom .. good to see you.. I spoke with Paul Frimston earlier this morning, and he's wrapping up a project he's on for Just Flight, but is otherwise ready to go. He's also muich more familiar with P3D than I am, and can make whatever changes are needed so it works as well in that environment as it does in FSX. We've already got a pretty solid FDE but want to make sure its ready to go so we'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb.

Hey Tom .. good to see you.. I spoke with Paul Frimston earlier this morning, and he's wrapping up a project he's on for Just Flight, but is otherwise ready to go. He's also muich more familiar with P3D than I am, and can make whatever changes are needed so it works as well in that environment as it does in FSX. We've already got a pretty solid FDE but want to make sure its ready to go so we'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb.
    Looks like things are coming together nicely. This is fantastic news. Boy, I can't wait to make a flight out of Motoyama One on Iwo Jima in this great Black Widow. Good work everyone.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Looks like things are coming together nicely. This is fantastic news. Boy, I can't wait to make a flight out of Motoyama One on Iwo Jima in this great Black Widow. Good work everyone.
    Cheers to that, Tom!!

Members who have read this thread: 0