Navy dumping dumbest uniform ever

Thread: Navy dumping dumbest uniform ever

Navy dumping dumbest uniform ever

Interesting article on the working uniform change.

This is the current "Blueberries" Type I - NWU - the only camouflage they offered was when someone fell overboard.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/your-n...-uniform-ever/

Will change to NWU TYPE III

Article on replacement uniform:
    http://www.navytimes.com/news/your-n...ar-them-right/

I remember when the dungarees were all the rage, comfortable and affordable.

I don't get it. How is the rope suspended in mid-air like that?

Quote Originally Posted by gecko65 View Post
    Most likely, they are heaving (Pulling) on a rope in similar situation (see picture) that is attached to either a bollard or a cleat on the pier.
    I've done this many a time as a young lad with deck force on a WW II Sumner class Naval destroyer. Subsequently, I converted over to a Naval aviation rate.

Last edited by gray eagle; August 31st, 2017 at 05:05.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko65 View Post
    That went straight through to the wicket keeper!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Can't see the rope, all I'm getting is this Ha Ha

> <
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f8f11ee7c39313988f35c82554a24dd6.jpg   a9d4742be6206aedf2bf851a9819a871.jpg  
    Cheers Jeff (Jethro)

Even the 70s utilities work uniform jumper made more sense. It all goes back to someone in charge deciding that the Navy wasn't military enough. When I retired in the late 90s, there were noises being made about going to camo as it would appear more military.

During my career, it seemed like every several years or so, they'd have to do a Navy wide uniform change. And only one company was making authorized Navy uniforms. I always figured that the uniform changes were more about lining someone's pockets than a needed change.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I wonder if the new uniforms will be sewn in China or perhaps North Korea?
    It certainly would be ironic would it not?

- Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Even the 70s utilities work uniform jumper made more sense. It all goes back to someone in charge deciding that the Navy wasn't military enough. When I retired in the late 90s, there were noises being made about going to camo as it would appear more military.

During my career, it seemed like every several years or so, they'd have to do a Navy wide uniform change. And only one company was making authorized Navy uniforms. I always figured that the uniform changes were more about lining someone's pockets than a needed change.
    Willy, I agree with you. I think the great canoe club (Navy) is the only branch that wants to keep re inventing the wheel on this. ($$$$$)
    The Coast Guard changed uniforms once and stuck with it; their dress uni's look pretty sharp They use to wear cracker jack like the Navy only they had a white shield sown on the lower right sleeve.

I can remember way back when they allowed dungarees off base but only to transit to off base quarters; you were allowed to buy gas for your car on the way home (Short stop).
    When I was stationed in San Diego, this policy was abused by some who were caught in the off base bars. I think it was Zumwalt that started this laxed policy.
    Now I see Army and some Navy types in their utilities in Wal-Mart. How times have changed.

I thing aback when these were introduced every one wanted to be seen as a commando. Ie, the Army and their every body is special so we all get berets and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post

I can remember way back when they allowed dungarees off base but only to transit to off base quarters; you were allowed to buy gas for your car on the way home (Short stop).
    When I was stationed in San Diego, this policy was abused by some who were caught in the off base bars. I think it was Zumwalt that started this laxed policy.
    Now I see Army and some Navy types in their utilities in Wal-Mart. How times have changed.
    It was the same when I was in the Air Force. A dash in to get gas was about all that was acceptable.
    However I am sure the old timers thought we were skating with our civies off base.

I was invited to church by an old family friend who was a Seabee in WW2.
    He was waiting outside for me and I walked up to him and he was looking right past me. He was expecting me in dress blues and asked how I got away with it. They had to wear the dress uniform when off base.

On my first enlistment, I was in one of the first boot camp companies to get the coat and tie dress blues back in the 70s. I did 6 years and got out. I went back in after a few years and they'd switched back to the crackerjack blues (which never was a favorite of mine).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Willy 1974.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro7 View Post
    Can't see the rope, all I'm getting is this Ha Ha

> <
    It's a hawse line (bow) or probably a mooring line - not a "rope". ADM Zumwalt, as CNO, had to OK some of the worst changes I ever saw in my career.

Glad I switched services when I did, although I went right to the Army and all it's uniform fun. Thinking I would be safe since I spend most of my time in a flight suit, nope the Army changed that! I also didn't understand the mixing of khaki's with black, I liked the "Johnny Cash" all black winter service working uniform . Khaki will always mean E-7 and above to me. As far as the off-base/post wearing, it's per-post SOP, but many guys push the bounties by walking around the local mall in uniform. I don't like to do it, but had have to hit the grocery store on the way home for "Household 6" at times, quick stops for gas/food are understandable.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

On my first enlistment, I was in one of the first boot camp companies to get the coat and tie dress blues back in the 70s. I did 6 years and got out. I went back in after a few years and they'd switched back to the crackerjack blues (which never was a favorite of mine).
    I remember those CPO style outfits too. I got mine from RTC San Diego - when some of the recruits washed out, they collected those dress blues and sold them. Pretty good deals.
    Anyway, when you had to stow them in those tiny lockers aboard ship or pack them in your sea bag, those combi covers would get smushed and they looked like a taco
    or a TJ cop

I was an E-6 then and had the gold crow and hash marks on them. Sometimes, when some one that was behind me tried to get my attention, they would say "Chief", then I turned
    to face them, I could see the expression of surprise on their face when they realized that I was a First Class.

I still have my seven seas gaberdine dress blues that I got back in '65 for $25.00. They had snazzy embroidery on the cuffs and under the collar.
    These I got back in '65 for $25.00 at the Seven Seas Locker club in San Diego - turned inside out to show the fancy embroidery work. Still have my flat hat too.
    I'd wore these on liberty in a Sears store in San Diego with my cuffs turned out and a dude in civies told me to turn my cuffs down,
    I asked who are you? - He then showed me his active CPO ID card - I turned them down.
    Shown is the trousers over the top of the jumper. They are made of gabardine fabric.

When I was in, we had only 3 uniform changes: First one bummed me out, they transitioned us out of sateens entirely. I liked sateen, it looked sharper than cammies. Oh well, I had clothes I could work on my car in. We still figured out how to iron our cammies to try and make them a little bit tidier. It's a Marine thing Couldn't starch the camie covers, though. Drove us nuts. A lot of us did anyway.

Second, they went from white to green t-shirts. The first few iterations of those tended to turn brown after a few washes. The dye they used would come out like crazy in the wash, too. Wash ANYthing with them, it would be ruined. Looked terrible, too.

Last, they went to the Sam Spade type trench-coat. Those I liked. Looked very nice, although over cammies, not so much. Did come in handy for the night we flashed the Staff Duty in Iwakuni, though. Luckily for us, she was a good sport. Got a date with her to see Top Gun the next week-end, which was cool. It had just come out, and the Base theater was packed, unfortunately...

Anyway, after I got out, they started changing all kinds of things, for all the services. I was sure glad I missed that. I hate to think about having to buy all kinds of new uniform items all the time. I'd go broker!

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    When I was in, we had only 3 uniform changes: First one bummed me out, they transitioned us out of sateens entirely. I liked sateen, it looked sharper than cammies. Oh well, I had clothes I could work on my car in. We still figured out how to iron our cammies to try and make them a little bit tidier. It's a Marine thing Couldn't starch the camie covers, though. Drove us nuts. A lot of us did anyway.

Second, they went from white to green t-shirts. The first few iterations of those tended to turn brown after a few washes. The dye they used would come out like crazy in the wash, too. Wash ANYthing with them, it would be ruined. Looked terrible, too.

Last, they went to the Sam Spade type trench-coat. Those I liked. Looked very nice, although over cammies, not so much. Did come in handy for the night we flashed the Staff Duty in Iwakuni, though. Luckily for us, she was a good sport. Got a date with her to see Top Gun the next week-end, which was cool. It had just come out, and the Base theater was packed, unfortunately...

Anyway, after I got out, they started changing all kinds of things, for all the services. I was sure glad I missed that. I hate to think about having to buy all kinds of new uniform items all the time. I'd go broker!

Have fun all!
    Pat☺

Were you issued those Gomer Pyle Greens? Shazam - Gall-lee,

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...utility-shirt/

I absolutely hated that uniform. I had to buy it shortly before I separated from the USN in '76. Then, when I reenlisted in late 1980, I was SO happy to wear crackerjacks again. I had mine lined in satin by a seamstress in Jacksonville. Comfortable and warm!!! NC

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Were you issued those Gomer Pyle Greens? Shazam - Gall-lee,

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...utility-shirt/
    YUP! We were issued 2 pair of those sateens, and 2 pair of cammies. Had to iron, with starch, all of them. Had to iron the USMC and emblem on the front left breast pockets, too. Heaven help the recruit that didn't get them perfectly placed, too. Had to iron the pleats in the back of the sateen shirts, and you had better have been able to shave with the trouser leg creases! Sateen and cammie trousers.
    And I swear, each of us went through 5 gallons of starch. But you better not have any flakes of starch on any thing. Sateens, and cammies both. And every night, our covers got washed, starched, and placed on the metal mold we all had. Got to know the perfect starch to water ratio for covers, for ironing trousers, and for the shirts. Oh, our hour of "free time" was sure busy!
    Don't forget to polish boots and brass, too! Heaven help the recruit with dull boots or brass! Some of the guys payed dearly for that, I can tell you.

Amazing, the details that stick with one, even after so many years...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0