Nachtpiloten B-24 cockpit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nachtpiloten B-24 cockpit

Nachtpiloten B-24 cockpit

Is there a version of the cockpit for the freeware B-24 where the waist gunner doors can be opened on the fuselage without opening the cockpit window?

Not that I am aware of but you could easily disable the cockpit window animation with a hex editor.

You can? Cool! How? What else can you do? Keep the side door on the Hurricane models closed for instance?

yeah that would be pretty easy for you Dan. Just open cockpit md3 with hex editor and find part vc_canopy or vc_canopy_# (might be a few so you have to narrow it down) and then in the address a few lines before that string you will find characters 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 01 00 13. Just replace the 13 with 00 and that should disable it. Don't fully understand what I am doing but I tried it and it works.

Yes it works, you can also disable the animation altogether by changing its name instead. Say it's l_flap, if you rename the part l_frap within the hex editor it won't work anymore. You just gotta be carefull to maintain the same number of characters, otherwise the model will fail to load.

I discovered an undocumented animation that way and used it on the 109E, nobody ever uses it but it's cool when you bail out and you actually see the canopy being released. Now if only I could remember the right tag for it...
    Luca

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

ejection codes

Hello- it has been a while but when I made the 219 with the ejection seat I used a series of ejection codes that had the seat fire up, the canopy release etc. Like Luca said there are ghosts in the machine, the only problem is finding them.....

They're used on the Me 163, Typhoon, and the new Fw 190 as well. BTW, I'm having no luck whatsoever using either Steve's or Lucas method. I'm making the change, saving the file and deleting the bdp, but no change. What am I missing?

That is strange, it always worked for me (at least for externals, never tried with VC's). Are you sure you're modifying the right part on the right LOD?
    Luca

I'm working in the Hurricane external model, searched for "canopy" and found five references to "f_canopy" which seems to be the correct tag based on the gmax documentation. To see if it worked I changed the name of all five tags. I also tried Steve's method, though the numbers were different. I did find the 64 00 00 00 group, and counted forward the same number of places to where the "13" was in his example. In the five references on mine two were "bc", two were 5a, and one was "ef". Setting all of those to 00 did nothing.

I'll be the first to admit I don't really know a whole lot about what is going on with a hex editor, I've figured some things out, but it's mostly been "monkey see, monkey do" based on Corrado's original findings.

Quote Originally Posted by SixGhost View Post
    I discovered an undocumented animation that way and used it on the 109E, nobody ever uses it but it's cool when you bail out and you actually see the canopy being released. Now if only I could remember the right tag for it...
    Would that be ejection_part0, Luca?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Well I haven’t tested extensively but it seems to work ok on the stock Spitfire . As you can see poor Mackenzie had to jump through the canopy glass to escape this time.

I have not tried Luca’s renaming trick though it seems much simpler.

IT WORKED!!!!!! I just wasn't looking far enough above the tag. The numbers there are just the same as you showed. The last f_canopy tag is the one that controls the side door.

Any idea if it's possible to reverse the start position of a part so closed is open and open is closed?

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Would that be ejection_part0, Luca?
    Yup, that's the one, Tom.

Dan, I seem to remember Corrado trying something along those lines but never succeeding. It was possible to do that through SCASM with CFS2 models IIRC, but the unique model format of CFS3 is a different horse alltogether.
    Luca

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    IT WORKED!!!!!! I just wasn't looking far enough above the tag. The numbers there are just the same as you showed. The last f_canopy tag is the one that controls the side door.
    Dan, I have managed to get the external models on the ETO Hurricanes to keep the door shut as well using Steve's number edit method as you have.

For the VC model file its the same sequence of numbers. search for vc_canopy the first entry then look approximately 10 or11 lines above that and you'll see the 64 00 etc. change the 13 to 00 and your good to go.

regards Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hurricane VC edit 2.jpg   hurricane VC edit.jpg  
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Yep, me too. Don't forget the entry in the VC for the door handle too.

Any idea if it's possible to reverse the start position of a part so closed is open and open is closed?
    Nope! I know basically nothing about hex editing

Well that was one trick more than I knew. If only it was that easy to add emitters to a model I could overhaul our entire fleet.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon23 ejection

Quote Originally Posted by SixGhost View Post
    Yup, that's the one, Tom.

Dan, I seem to remember Corrado trying something along those lines but never succeeding. It was possible to do that through SCASM with CFS2 models IIRC, but the unique model format of CFS3 is a different horse alltogether.
    I need to look at my he219s again. When I was making them Mathias sent me a few items that I used to animate the ejection sequence using if I remember correctly several ejection codes. So off to gmax it is to see what mysteries we can unravel....Ta Ta

You could also open the Do 335 m3d with a hex editor and get them from there, but your way is even better, Ted!
    Luca

What are you trying to do, Dan?
    Edit: with the animation

I was thinking about airfield aircraft. It would be cool to have them with the canopies left open, but the default position is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by swpierce View Post
    Is there a version of the cockpit for the freeware B-24 where the waist gunner doors can be opened on the fuselage without opening the cockpit window?
    How does this relate to the original question ?

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Quote Originally Posted by gosd View Post
    How does this relate to the original question ?
    the original answer to the question was "no there is not a version of the model that can have the waist gun doors open and the VC windows closed". from there people have put forward ways in which he/you/anybody can alter the B24 VC file by hex editing the model code to achieve that state. its just the Hurricane has become the model that was experimented on in the thread.

Then in addition to the thoughts on how to edit the windows for the B24, other items have then been brought up as items that could be altered using the same techniques and the fact that certain items exist in gmax that are not well understood or utilized.

all relevant stuff, that gives people the knowledge to make their game better.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Members who have read this thread: 0