Wave effects in P3D v4

Thread: Wave effects in P3D v4

Wave effects in P3D v4

Just posted this into P3D Support Forum:
    Hi
    Really donīt like those waves or wave effects on beaches and shorelines. Previous versions used to go to terrain.cfg and using // (//Effect=wavecontroller and all wave variants) managed to stop that effect. Now in v4 using same method, it works but terrain.cfg changes returning o normal every time I restart P3D. Is there another way to stop this from happening, meaning supressing wave effects and keeping it that way? Thanks

I completely agree, particularly when you get them in rivers !
    I watch this thread with interest.

I wonder if removing the effects files would achieve this?
    You could start with those with "ocean" in their names perhaps.
    Last edited by ncooper; August 29th, 2017 at 05:14.
    Regards,
    Nick

Is that river made by ORBX? The coastline direction is reversed and the waves are coming from the land towards the water so it is definitely a bug.

Even if the direction was corrected, surf effects on river banks are indeed ridiculus, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Is that river made by ORBX? The coastline direction is reversed and the waves are coming from the land towards the water so it is definitely a bug.
    I bet that is the result of ORBX FTX Global Vector...

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Yes its Orbx . Tell you the truth I cant remember if it is England or Wales . Check Ralphs Ad and Fry's Ad. First time I have seen it and haven't seen it again.

I do not want to hijack Beaufighters thread and ask if anybody knows of a method to remove these waves

Cheers

edit - Global Vector installed ...and Ive just read Nicks post , I'll give it a try

Maybe they're growing cotton down there :-) Just as a curiosity, turn down the water effect from "Ultra" and see if it goes away.

LouP

If it helps, I have removed these and no more unsightly waves.

Probably overkill but I much prefer this

to this

Regards,
    Nick

Has anyone considered that just changing the "Special Effects" slider setting will accomplish the same thing? Special effects aren't that big a deal anyway, especially if you're flying and inside the cockpit.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Very good remark in fact. I have that slider at minimum in my sims, without any visual problems. I believe it helps with FPS and micro-stutters too, if your hardware is obsolete like mine

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Has anyone considered that just changing the "Special Effects" slider setting will accomplish the same thing? Special effects aren't that big a deal anyway, especially if you're flying and inside the cockpit.
    Donīt know if Iīll me missing something, but as you suggested, with special effects in "low", no more waves...

Thanks a lot

I've kept mine at medium. Do startup smoke effects, etc. still work on low?

Hi
    Got this answer from P3D forum
    "by Rob McCarthy ŧ Tue, 29 Aug 2017, 13:28 Are you modifying the terrain.cfg in %programdata%? By default this won't be modified after it is generated. There could be an add-on installed that is modifying the file."

Only add-on besides planes are Orbx global, vector europe lc and usalc. Willtry again to "dash" every line with wave on it and see if it changes again.
    Will try and check engine smoke. Wingtip vortices are ok.
    Regards

It is no secret that FTX Central modifies the terrain.cfg file.
    Every time you run it, it will overwrite any manual changes.
    Last edited by ncooper; August 29th, 2017 at 23:49.
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    It is no secret that FTX Central modifies the terrain.cfg file.
    Every time you run it, it will overwrite any manual changes.
    Secret or no secret didnīt know about it or were to find that info. Thanks for enlightning me, Ncooper. Will save a copy with "//effects" and everytime I need to use FTX Central (rarely, just to check updates or add new iten) will replace the new one...wonder if anything if something is changed when you just open and close FTX Central, and the need for that if so...
    Regards

Each time you open FTX Central, given enough time, it checks what is installed,
    checks for any updates and once that is done, it checks the scenery.cfg
    file, dll.xml file, exe.xml file and terrain.cfg file.

Any changes are applied, I believe, by writing to those files it has written to again.
    In this way, your manual edits will be overwritten by the default text.
    Of course, if there had been no changes, the new file will be exactly the same as the old,
    so whether or not it had been overwritten could not be detected.

If you go either of the other ways and remove the files or turn off your special effects, you will have no
    surf regardless of the terrain.cfg.

(By the way, the name's Nick, as in my signature.)
    Regards,
    Nick

Hi Nick
    Thanks a lot...always learning. ..
    Really donīt like wave effect and want to learn how to stop it. Now I know.

Best Regards

I am experiencing vertical waves.

Anyone else seeing that? Any fix?

Russ
    Many may fly and some are rewarded
    handsomely, but the wings of gold of a
    United States Naval Aviator mean more
    than flying. It is dearly bought, requires
    sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

If you are using Orbx scenery, re-install the libraries or reduce the water setting.
    Regards,
    Nick

Reduce water setting, it worked for me before removing wave effects....

Regards

Members who have read this thread: 1