A Couple of questions regarding Aerofly FS2

Thread: A Couple of questions regarding Aerofly FS2

A Couple of questions regarding Aerofly FS2

I've been reading up on this sim on flight sim forums and checking out the screenshots and YouTube vids and I must say that it looks great!

I do have a couple of questions that I couldn't locate the answers to and would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.

Are the following military bases modeled:
    Barksdale AFB, Bossier City LA.
    NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth Texas
    NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach, VA

My new gaming machine has a 6TB HDD that I can dedicate to Aerofly FS2. Will that be
    enough to handle it?
    Some of the early posts (a year old) indicated that it had some high
    hard drive space requirements.

The posts that I was reading were older posts from 2016 and it was in early access mode where
    updates were very large and frequent. Has that changed any with the passage of time?

I'm the type of pilot that spends most of the flight outside of the aircraft using the viewpoints of the camera
    to look around, so the graphics are a big plus for me.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Good questions Odie and I'll be interested in the replies.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Hi,

I will try to answer your questions. I have had Aerofly for while now, and am really enjoying it. I must admit though, the main reason I purchased Aerofly FS2 was for the VR experience, which is on par with the experience in DCS World, and miles ahead of FSX or P3D. Having said that, Aerofly is also a great sim on a flat monitor, and it has many positives. It is also in a constant state of development, so massive improvements can be expected. Right now the performance and the graphics are where Aerofly really shine.

No they are not currently modelled. The main areas which have been produced with hi res photoreal, autogen and airports are: California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New York, Switzerland. I'm not sure if Arizona and Nevada are complete, but a lot of these two states are done. ORBX has released addons for Meigs Field and Innsbruck, which also contain large photoreal areas. There has been a tool released which allows any users to create their own photoreal terrain and 3d models for the sim, so sometime in the future we can expect more addons from users and from the sim and 3rd party developers.

My new gaming machine has a 6TB HDD that I can dedicate to Aerofly FS2. Will that be
    enough to handle it? Some of the early posts (a year old) indicated that it had some high

Yes. A 6TB HDD will be more than large enough. My current Aerofly installation takes up roughly 128GB, and that has everything so far available. It will take up a lot of space as time goes by and more large photoreal areas, airports, aircraft etc are released.

The posts that I was reading were older posts from 2016 and it was in early access mode where
    updates were very large and frequent. Has that changed any with the passage of time?

The last Utah update was around 70 GB, so plenty of internet bandwidth would be required. That update also replaced some of the original terrain in other areas, which is why the update was so large. Have a look on the Steam product page for Aerofly FS2 to see more details about the size of downloads and the cost of some addons. Some of the terrain addons such as South West USA and Utah are free, but New York, Switzerland and other 3rd party addons have a cost. One suggestion, if you already deal with ORBX through FSX or P3D, then you should purchase any addons through ORBX and not through Steam, mainly because you will get a discount if you purchase an Aerofly version of an airport you already own for another sim. ORBX have set up an Aerofly section in their FTX Central program.

Here is a link to the Aerofly/Steam product page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/43...ght_Simulator/

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Hey scotth6,

Thank you for the detailed responses to my questions about Aerofly FS2, they are greatly appreciated! They were very helpful
    in filling in some blanks that the info I read could not answer. I was hoping the 3 military bases had been modeled since they
    are familiar to me and the flight between Texas/Louisiana and Virginia is a good stretch of the legs!

My internet bandwidth is pretty good and I'll have the space for it and FSX on my new gaming rig.

I think I will spring for this one. Thanks for the ORBX heads-up, too!

Best,
    Odie

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    I've been reading up on this sim on flight sim forums and checking out the screenshots and YouTube vids and I must say that it looks great!

I do have a couple of questions that I couldn't locate the answers to and would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.

enough to handle it?
    Some of the early posts (a year old) indicated that it had some high

I'm the type of pilot that spends most of the flight outside of the aircraft using the viewpoints of the camera
    to look around, so the graphics are a big plus for me.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    If you've ever been to Manhattan, the Northeastern USA New York add-on is exceptional and a must in my opinion. I have Drzewiecki Design New York for both FSX/P3D & X-Plane and I think, I prefer flying around that area in FS2.

Monument Valley in Utah / Arizona is awesome also. I just wish their was an helicopter right now but i'm sure one will be added down the line. One final point, This sim works really well with VR and with Oculus Rift being reduced currently, It would be highly recommended.

Regards
    i9-10900k @ 5GHz | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16 | ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G Gaming
    i7-4790k @ 4GHz | 32GB DDR3 2133MHz | AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 x64 | GeForce 551.86 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2 | FS9, FSX, FSX SE, P3D V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, FSW, XP 10.51, XP 11.55, XP 12.0.9-rc-5, AFS2, AFS4, FlyInside FS, DCS, MSFS

To help answer the OP's question about airports, it seems he is not alone in not being sure of exactly what-all is in there:

Some purchasers are also unaware of how many States are included: California, Utah, Nevada, Arizona....

Or how many flyable planes.... (18)

How many cities modeled. (Even I'm not sure)

Or how many airports! I was startled to find that many people were flying around not aware that many major airports, modeled in very near payware quality were scattered all over the sim!

KJFK, KLAX, KLAS, KLGA the list goes on and on.

To help out, a user named Rodeo has compiled an Aerofly airport list, and I'm spreading it around the community. I hope it helps! Rodeo Airports ZIP

Hi

Members who have read this thread: 0