FSXBA Hornet (ver. 17.30) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FSXBA Hornet (ver. 17.30)

Just a quick HU for y'all: There is a update out for the v17.1.30. Henceforth it will be the v17.1.31. Go to the forum Bjoern linked above, and on page 100 there is a link to page 96 (lets all play chase the Hornet around! ), and on page 96, second post down is the link to actually download the v17.1.31. Also, there is a write up in Jimi's entry there on page 96 explaining just what the update does, down near the bottom of his post.

Bill: You can contact Jimi by registering for the forum (it's free) and either making an entry in the Updated Hornet thread Bjoern linked, or by sending him a PM. He WILL answer, either way, but, as he's still active duty Navy, it may take him a little bit to do so. Jimi is the FSX Blue Angels demo team's XO, and the Team lead of this whole Hornet project. Not to mention being a great guy in general.
    There are also some real good texture types in the thread, so they will probably be able to answer your questions alot better than I. I have all the artistic talent of a large rock, so I don't even mess with textures, just enjoy whats provided
    There are also threads there for vLSO, and some other good stuff. Take a look. Well worth the effort.

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Pat,

Would you be able to answer this question or should I register over at the fsdreamteam forums so Jimi can take a look as well?

I installed v17.1.30.(and also the v17.1.31 update) - everything is working so far but I am missing wing flex.

I have P3d V3.4 and thus ran the P3DV2 installer option(I assume this was the correct option to choose since there was not an option for P3d V3 , etc....)?

My MFDs weren't working initially but I read about the issue so I copied the F18.dll over (from my FSX backup) into the gauges folder and rectified the MFD problem - - but the wing flex issue still remains.
    I do remember wing flex working when I had the FSXBA installed in my FSX version - just not sure if I have a bad install, etc...? (I have reinstalled 3 times but no luck)

Is Wing Flex controlled by the HornetFCS.dll file?

Oh, did I say how awesome this legacy Hornet is? :-) Fantastic Job!

Thanks Pat,

- DB

Is Wing Flex controlled by the HornetFCS.dll file?
    Hi Deacon
    I am far from expert on this sort of thing but: Wing Flex is controlled by an effect in the FX portion of the Panel.cfg, either in the Panel.Fleet or Panel.BA folder. The line is gauge40=FX!Wingflex, under [Vcockpit01]. The actual .XML file is located in the FX folder contained within either Panel folder. Shorter answer, no, Hornet_FCS.dll doesn't have anything to do with it, other than distantly, and very peripherally.
    I took a look at the .XML file, and from what I can see, it's dependant on 3 factors: G-force (5.5G), AOA (>5°), and TACPAC's presence. I am not certain just what TACPAC does to wingflex, but it IS in the file. I believe it has to do with load-out selected in TACPAC, causing weight and drag differences depending on which load-out is chosen. Thus, more weight on the wing, from bombs, rockets, etc, the less flex, more flex, or a different amount of flex depending on the weight of the load-out. I believe. Like I say, I am far from being an XML type of guy.
    I will ask over on the forums for you if you want, or feel free to do so yourself. I think, although very rarely, that you need TACPAC enabled and operating to get the full wing flex effect. I may well be wrong on that, but from what I read in the .XML file, that's what I believe. It may just have the TACPAC lines in it for the different load-outs. No TACPAC, no weight on the wings, thus, a different effect.
    Why your wing flex is inoperative, I can't say, but that's what I can see. It may be that it does require TACPAC to get the effect at all. I'll look at my plane, FSX:SE, NO TACAPC, and see what it does.
    No real answer for P3D but the best I can do for you...

I installed v17.1.30.(and also the v17.1.31 update)...
    As near as I can figure, the v17.1.31 is a stand-alone install, replacing the v17.1.30. I may be wrong on that. However, just so you know, be expecting more updates like this in the near future. There are still "things" they're working on. Details, but some important ones.

Hope this is some small help...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Pat,

Thanks for the reply....

1. I do have TacPac installed (forgot to mention this in my original post)

2. I checked the Panel.cfg file and do have the entry: "gauge40=FX!Wingflex," present in both Panel.Fleet or Panel.BA folders

3. I do have the XML file present in the following location(s): ....SimObjects\Airplanes\FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_17.1.31\Panel.Fleet\FX\Wingflex.xml and .....SimObjects\Airplanes\FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_17.1.31\Panel.BA\FX\Wingflex.xml

4. I made sure TacPac is working as I can load up and fire/drop ordinance via Shift +7

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ========

Basically, I took a clean jet (fleet bird) - cleaned her up after take-off, stayed 200 ft AGL over the runway, accelerated to about 400+ knots and buried the stick in my lap - still no wing flex.

Thanks for the help...

I can post over there this weekend to see if Jimi (et al) has any ideas - I'm stumped. Lol

I really appreciate the help Pat in narrowing this down - such a beautiful bird to fly!!!

Joe

Hey Joe!
    I tested mine out as well. I do not have TACPAC at all. I'm too broke to buy any payware. ANYwho, I got it going about 995 kias at 200', and PULLED her hard. 8-9 G on the HUD. No wing flex at all.
    It may not be enabled in the model somehow, or something in the .XML file may have been changed or not changed when it should have been. I'll watch the forum for your post and see what Jimi or Orion has to say.
    It may be one of those little details that remains to be fixed. They do have a number of such details. Not critical to flying the bird, but annoying non-the-less.
    Sorry I wasn't more help. I can try looking over the XML file some more, but I am far from expert on them...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

I can confirm with the TP model no wing flex. On my safe escape maneuver (the pull up), looked over my shoulder to watch the wing tip move, nothing.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Ok, I made a post on the FSDT forums, letting Jimi and Team know about the wing flex situation. I am sure they'll get to it asap. They're mainly concerned now with getting the Hornet_FCS.DLL file updated to work in P3Dv4, and all the Avionics systems as well.

We shall see what we shall see!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Ok, I made a post on the FSDT forums, letting Jimi and Team know about the wing flex situation. I am sure they'll get to it asap. They're mainly concerned now with getting the Hornet_FCS.DLL file updated to work in P3Dv4, and all the Avionics systems as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    I can confirm with the TP model no wing flex. On my safe escape maneuver (the pull up), looked over my shoulder to watch the wing tip move, nothing.

Thanks Pat & Victory103 for checking on both of your ends - Much appreciated!

-- It's good to know it's a (possible) bug with the current release and nothing with my install/PC , etc....

The wingflex certainly is a minor thing and it sounds like they've got bigger issues to rectify so totally understandable if that's put on the back burner!

Well, Back to flying the C-Model!

-DB

P.S. - Thanks for posting the Wingflex issue over at the FSDreamTeam forum, Pat!

P.S. - Thanks for posting the Wingflex issue over at the FSDreamTeam forum, Pat!
    Happy to help!
    I used to work for the Government, I'm here to help

We'll see what they say over there. It may take a few days, though. Jimi is active Duty Navy, and Orion works for the Navy, Simulator Operations, so they can get a little busy sometimes, but they WILL answer eventually.
    Till then, enjoy they way the plane flies!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Pat,

Glad you're here to help.

One new item. Check out the CRS switch on the panel. The tool tip gives me the oil temperature instead, and doesn't adjust the CRS heading. This is on the latest version 17.31. It was working fine on ver 17.30.

Thanks
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I'll take a look at the CRS knob. I may be wrong, but I believe that's one of those little details I was talking about. It may have glitched when they were updating things for the whole 64 bit craze going on.
    I am going to presume you mean the CRS knob on the lower left of the front instrument panel, just above the rudder well, yes? That thing has been working off and on for different versions. This may be an off period I'll see what I can dig up, though. Just like the Bingo quantity adjust knob. We'll see what happens!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Hi WarHorse
    I checked it out. The CRS knob actually does function properly. Call up the HUD Control panel (SHFT+2), and look at the NAV1 window, just right of the NAV1 course adjust knob. When you turn the CRS knob on the panel, the one I described, the indication in the NAV1 window changes to match, which is how things should be.

The biggest problem, to my mind, is that the CSEL soft button on the HSI, displayed in any MFD, is inoperative, making changes made by the CRS knob more difficult to detect easily. But like I say, just call up the HUD Control (SHFT+2) and you can see the layed in CRS.

Does that answer your questions?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Hi Pat.
    Yes, I see it now. Works fine. Guess it's just the tool tip for the switch/knob on the lower left of the panel.
    Best if I use the 2D panel from now on.
    Thanks
    -- WH

Unless they changed it, the 2D panel consists of the HUD, and some data displays. Not much in the way of a cockpit, per se. Nice for recovery on a boat, but other than that...
    I never use it, though. Did they add a cockpit? I'll have to check it out.

I'll see if I can either figure out how to change that tool-tip, or ask Jimi to do it. Either way, it'll get fixed eventually, I promise

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

FA-18D v15.6

Hi Pat,

In my effort to get a FA-18D, I have been able to download the FSXBA 2105 15.6 Training and Clean versions (thanks to Kea) from page 62. Unfortunately, after installing both, I find that there is NO .air file and NO Panel folder (the Panel folders both just alias the Training version - so there is actually no Panel included). I added a 17.1 air file and a 2012 Panel, but I still can't select any of the FA-18D listed in the training or clean aircraft cfg's. Advise?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Hi Pat,

In my effort to get a FA-18D, I have been able to download the FSXBA 2105 15.6 Training and Clean versions (thanks to Kea) from page 62. Unfortunately, after installing both, I find that there is NO .air file and NO Panel folder (the Panel folders both just alias the Training version - so there is actually no Panel included). I added a 17.1 air file and a 2012 Panel, but I still can't select any of the FA-18D listed in the training or clean aircraft cfg's. Advise?

Bill
    Not sure how it might work out but you might get a better result with a FSXBA VC merged with the CaptSim Delta. Maybe I will try this one day.

Lots of fun.

One silly question remains. How does one hide the pilot after shutdown?

I noticed that when I loaded the Hornet, the cockpit is empty. After startup, the pilot appears. I know what Ctrl-W does, but cannot figure out what else needs to shutdown to clear the cockpit after landing. Any hints??
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Hi Pat,

Bill
    Hey Bill
    Are those only the 2-seater v15.6's that you downloaded and installed? If so, you need to DL and install the 1-seater, or C Model Training version to get all the "stuff". The alias notations refer to that, not the 2-seater, or D model, Training version. The C model Training will have the .air file, and the panel folders/files you need. Look in the same post, up at the top of the list of downloads for it. It's the one marked Training (required): . This was when Jimi was first learning how to consolidate folders to make the install over-all take up less room on the HD, using aliasing. The v17.1.31 is a great example of how well he's learned to by now.
    But that may be why you can't select a D model. In the aircraft.cfg for them, it's calling the C model Training .air file. Putting in a v17.1.31 .air file won't work, unless you change all the entries in the D model aircraft.cfg to call the v17.1.31 .air file. I would say your best bet would be to download and install the C model Training version I mentioned above. Then, everything will properly match up.
    Hope this helps!

WarHorse47
    Lots of fun.

One silly question remains. How does one hide the pilot after shutdown?

I noticed that when I loaded the Hornet, the cockpit is empty. After startup, the pilot appears. I know what Ctrl-W does, but cannot figure out what else needs to shutdown to clear the cockpit after landing. Any hints??
    You, know, I never went that far. Shutting it down. I usually just hit ESC after coming to a stop on the runway/angle deck when I'm done flying for the day. I'll take a look ASAP and see what I can find for you though. I never load a cold-n-dark set up either. Always ready to set up for launch, running, whether in parking spot or on the runway. I've found that, over-all, having the default flight/plane up when I first select Free-flight, and then choosing my airport and plane saves me a LOT of possible trouble on down the line. I never just load a previously saved flight and take it from there. I will set one up and see what's up with it though.
    Not very helpful, I know. Sorry about that. I am usually more concerned how she works in the air, not on the ground. Not counting landing gear compression etc for landing and taxi-ing, of course. Those matter to me
    One thought: Do you try putting the ladder down and opening the canopy to make the pilot disappear? Once you've closed the throttles and the engines are spooling down? Maybe turning OFF the two generator switches, and the main Battery switch once the warning lights come on during the shut-down process? Leaving the APU off? I don't have the faintest idea if all those matter, but hey, worth a look.

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    You, know, I never went that far. Shutting it down. I usually just hit ESC after coming to a stop on the runway/angle deck when I'm done flying for the day. I'll take a look ASAP and see what I can find for you though. I never load a cold-n-dark set up either. Always ready to set up for launch, running, whether in parking spot or on the runway. I've found that, over-all, having the default flight/plane up when I first select Free-flight, and then choosing my airport and plane saves me a LOT of possible trouble on down the line. I never just load a previously saved flight and take it from there. I will set one up and see what's up with it though.
    Not very helpful, I know. Sorry about that. I am usually more concerned how she works in the air, not on the ground. Not counting landing gear compression etc for landing and taxi-ing, of course. Those matter to me
    One thought: Do you try putting the ladder down and opening the canopy to make the pilot disappear? Once you've closed the throttles and the engines are spooling down? Maybe turning OFF the two generator switches, and the main Battery switch once the warning lights come on during the shut-down process? Leaving the APU off? I don't have the faintest idea if all those matter, but hey, worth a look.

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Say, wha...?? Listening to those engines spool up is half the fun.

Basically, after taxi to my parking spot, after shutting down the engines I turn off the avionics, battery and generators with keyboard short cuts. Canopy open and ladder down. Not sure what Shif+E+2 does other than lower and raise the tailhook. Anyways, after my shutdown procedure all the 'reds' are on, but the pilot is still sitting there chewing his gum. I could do the water-rudder thing, but the canopy goes with the pilot.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    Not sure how it might work out but you might get a better result with a FSXBA VC merged with the CaptSim Delta. Maybe I will try this one day.
    I did this with 15.6 and the CS Delta, but with the current state of 17+ and Tacpack, I'll wait for a full up tub conversion from jimi.

I've turned off everything to include GENs as a habit xfer from the Super Bug. I assumed the pilot model was on a timer, but I know I have post-flight/debugged >5 minutes and he's not getting out (with my test flying, perhaps waiting on plane captain to bring new undershorts). Also, check nosewheel chocks, mine are cutting into tires and not on level ground.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I have the latest EXE version and have no weapons release. Weapons are on the wings but no release. Are the key commands the same as the VRS hornet or different?

Mine are the same as listed in TPM, trigger and pickle. A few small bugs with TP that jimi is tracking and working on. A key one with a standard center tank load, this will zero out the gun. Not all the weapons included in TP are usable yet with the visual model (AIM7, HARM, MK82SE...)
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

For some reason in P3D V4 the only screen that works on the 2 top MFDs is the arms page , and nothing works on the center lower one . Any ideas ?

Hi Pat,

I have both the 15.6 FA-18D Clean and Training working now. Couple of quick questions: What is the difference between the two? I see the same BA VC, and have the same configuration. Is it possible to add external stores to either? Just switch to the FA-18C-D Tackpack version if I want to have the ability to alter the F-18D configuration? Manual? Otherwise both look just fine.

Bill

Members who have read this thread: 0