Rescuing Oldies from the Dustbin

Thread: Rescuing Oldies from the Dustbin

Rescuing Oldies from the Dustbin

I continue to work through my collection of 'vintage' FS models converting them and giving them a new lease on life in FSX.

My latest update is Tom Eads wonderful QED racer from the 1930's for FS2K2.

The plane was designed as the R6H and flown as the Q.E.D. by Jackie Cochran, Lee Gehlbach, and George Armistead. It was purchased by Franciso Sarabia and repainted as 'Conquistador del Cielo'. He set a speed and nonstop distance record in 1939 before crashing into the Potomac River and drowning.

"...The Gee Bee Q.E.D. ("Quod Erat Demonstrandum"), aka Gee Bee R-6H, aka the "Conquistador del Cielo" (Sky Conqueror) was the last in a series of racing and touring aircraft from the Granville Brothers. Unlike the other famous Gee Bee aircraft, the Q.E.D had the distinction of never finishing a race it was entered in..." [Wikipedia]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QED-1.jpg   QED-2.jpg   QED-3.jpg  

"Conquistador del Cielo"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QED-4.jpg  

Great work Bookman!! Go on searching & updating, you'll never know what gems are hidden in the shelfs .

Cheers, hertzie.

Next Batch ...

Today's finished conversion include De Havilland DH-4 models by Chris Herring.

These beg for more up-to-date textures but are still wonderful planes!

DH-4 Mailplane (just like "Slim" Lindbergh flew)

DH-4 Observation ship
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DH4_Mailplane.jpg   DH4_Observtion.jpg  

Two More...

De Havilland DH-4 Bombers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DH4_Bomber_1.jpg   DH4_Bomber_2.jpg  

Two More...

Another Mail plane

Soviet VVS-5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DH_4_Russ.jpg   DH4_Mail_2.jpg  

Today's Conversions

So, I had a little time to convert a few more old gems, after my projects for the day.

Today, I was explored the work of the FS Design Berlin Team and their creations from 2003. I was delighted to find that a number of of the paint schemes for the FS2K2 models worked splendidly well by dropping them into the FS2004 models.

So...here we go. First up... Douglas C-124C Globemaster II...[there appears to be some texturing error in the more recent models which I'll have to explore...but hey, these are mostly for AI anyhow].

MATS c.1950's

MATS c.1960's

Utah ANG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image25.jpg   Image26.jpg   Image27.jpg  

A Few More..

Now we have a variety of interesting Douglas C-54 and R5D schemes...

C-54E Troop Carrier

USMC R5D

MATS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image20.jpg   Image22.jpg   Image23.jpg   Image24.jpg  

Love the DH-4's. It would be great fun to have Lindbergh's DH-4 flying an AI flight from Chicago to St Louis...Lindy's old airmail route. Maybe even take an air-to-air screenie of the DH-4 flying alongside the Spirit of St. Louis.

Brian

Missed One Last Night

One that I missed last night...

This one ws really fun when I discovered that the textures (from an FS2K model) even worked!

C-54E "Spirit of Freedom"

Founded in 1988, the Foundation has obtained and restored to flying condition, a Douglas C-54E transport aircraft, which helped support the C-54's which carried out this great mission. Named "SPIRIT OF FREEDOM", the aircraft is painted to represent the 48th Troop Carrier Squadron, one of the many groups which carried out the event. Inside, the "SPIRIT", is a genuine museum dedicated to the Berlin Airlift, filled with artifacts, displays, and information explaining this all important event in recent history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image21.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0