GPU overclocking

Thread: GPU overclocking

GPU overclocking

When I modestly overclocked my i5 7600k to 4.6, I had excellent results, maxed out my autogen and kept the same great frame rates, no stutters. When I upped the core and memory clocks on my 6GB GTX 1060, however, I saw no appreciable difference at all. I still couldn't run the water settings at Ultra for some reason, main reason for trying it, guess the 1060 can't handle it. But P3D4 rarely goes over 60% GPU usage and 25% VRAM clocked or not. I thought it was supposed to be more GPU intensive now? I run A2A aircraft with UTX/GEP3D and ASP4/ASCA. Maybe only something like ORBX regions or airports would max out the GPU and benefit from overclocking?

Aha, I did finally find the settings that cranked up my GPU usage, Level of Detail Radius and Tesselation Factor set to Max and Ultra. No hit on the game performance that I can tell.

Useful info... thanks! Curious if you saw increased GPU usage when increasing AA? And is overclocking the GPU worthwhile with P3Dv4 (really wasn't with FSX)?

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Hmmm...not sure about AA. When I first set up P3D4 (flying over NYC is my torture test), I settled on 2xSSAA, clearer textures and eliminated stuttering, haven't changed it since. I'll play around with settings and overclocking again tonight and see if anything changes much.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    Aha, I did finally find the settings that cranked up my GPU usage, Level of Detail Radius and Tesselation Factor set to Max and Ultra. No hit on the game performance that I can tell.
    Curious about your no performance hit...

I just upgraded today from my trusty 970 to a 1080 and I can confirm this. My rig with the 970 was nicely balanced for running FSX; not so after I moved over to P3Dv4. In the new 64 bit sim my system with the 970 was GPU locked! And no matter how I configured the new sim I just couldn't get it to run as smooth as my FSX config. The addition of the 1080 has brought my system into better balance... indeed, the new card gives me more headroom thus allowing me to turn up the eye candy (that ain't never bad ) while allowing the rest of the system to perform more to its potential.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

No doubt a card upgrade would help, more CUDA cores. I just don't think Nvidia cards are capable of getting a decent performance gain without upping the voltage, which I'm not willing to do. I've now been infected with Falcon's problems, P3D went to crap all of a sudden, blurry textures in my case. Still great frame rates, no stutters with everything maxed out, but ground textures are blurry until I'm nearly on top of them. Turning down all P3D settings makes no difference. Changed Nvidia drivers, no. Reinstalled P3D, nope. Ran Realbench (full system check), no problems. GPU did fine running the Unigine Superposition benchmark. Weirdness. My eyes are bad enough, don't need the blurries.

Pat

Members who have read this thread: 0