Typos in Effects.xml?

Thread: Typos in Effects.xml?

SOH-CM-2020

Typos in Effects.xml?

Recently I had the time to sit down and install some of the new aircraft into my MAW theatre. SJ_ prefixed Fulmar, Spitfires and Typhoon.

The amount of work taken on amazing details really raises the bar with these aircraft. Seeing all the work put in on Fxtextures, sound file entries, effects xml entries, not to mention the excellence in modelling and skinning made me truly appreciate these contributions.

Whilst adding lines for the effects.xml for the spitfires and the Typhoons, I noticed that many tracer effects had the typo "Roration" instead of "Rotation". IIRC the typos are part of the current effects xml, not the added lines for the aircraft.

I did a "find and replace", with "rotation" replacing "roration" wherever the words appeared in the effects.xml. And the result was? Nothing different that I can discern. In some ways that is a good thing, as it means that the effects.xml does not lock up. Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether doing a general correction of "Roration" is a good idea?

I hadn't noticed that, and I'm a bit surprised the xml will still load. I don't see how fixing them would cause further issues. To be clear, the new effects included in those packages did not have the typo, correct?

Oh, and thanks for the kind words, nice to know the effort is appreciated.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I hadn't noticed that, and I'm a bit surprised the xml will still load. I don't see how fixing them would cause further issues. To be clear, the new effects included in those packages did not have the typo, correct?

Oh, and thanks for the kind words, nice to know the effort is appreciated.
    In terms of the effects question, I am not 100% sure if there was a typo in the new effects, certainly the typo seemed to be widespread so I assume its' origins predate your work.

In terms of the enormous amount of work your input into the SJ_ series of aircraft required, I really want to post some pictures of the aircraft in action - really I think such quality works deserves far more acknowledgement. My trouble is I'm a bit of a tech luddite and have only recently worked out how to share an image - basic uploaded screenshots do not do the things justice. I have a great screenie of "stress testing" the Typhoon (actually I pranged into a destroyer in Valetta harbour ), which shows the dramatic oil effects on the windscreen .

I will check your first question when I get to the CFS3 'puter.

SOH-CM-2020
    It looks like the term "roration" stems from the AvHistory effects. It is replicated in the tracer effects lines of the SJ_effects additions. Don't know if it makes a difference or not. Attached an illustration of cockpit damage effects - bullet holes and oil splatter..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SJ_Typhoon Damagesm.jpg  

I just ran a series of experiments and TracerRorationSpeed works but changing it to rotation causes the turning to stop. I suspect someone made a typo in the program code, and rather than fixing it they just let it persist into the effects.xml.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    I just ran a series of experiments and TracerRorationSpeed works but changing it to rotation causes the turning to stop. I suspect someone made a typo in the program code, and rather than fixing it they just let it persist into the effects.xml.
    Thanks, Major! That is v useful to know. I will go to my backup effects.xml and reinstall. There are examples of such typos all over the show in CFS3, and many seem to need to be left alone to maintain functionality.

Members who have read this thread: 0