eclipse stuff

Thread: eclipse stuff

eclipse stuff

anyone looking at any of the webpages like flightradar24?..the line of planes airborne is amazing .

well i was looking across the USA ,and traffic is just so heavy i dont think it will show like it did in western oregon.

The sun is about 30% covered here in Missouri. We should experience totality for less than a minute. In about an hour(ish). Hope the clouds stay away. So far so good.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

enjoy it PBR,here in my town,the sun was dimmed signifantly,but i was surprised in the temp drop,it went from 80F to 73F in minutes,is slowly rising again now.

It's getting close now. WX still holding out. 20 minutes to totality. The light outside looks strange. Dimmer, lol.
    HP Reverb G2

That was weird! As it got darker, with the sun straight up and shining brightly, it was as though I was wearing sun glasses of darker and darker lenses, if you know what I mean. It wasn't dark like when the sun goes down. And then... The corona! Holy crap! It was visible for about a minute, as predicted. Then the famous "diamond ring" It was something to see.
    HP Reverb G2

Two more things that were interesting: 1) The ring of light right around the moon, while the corona was visible, was not a sharp line, but "jagged", or varying in intensity, probably because of the mountains on the Moon. 2) The light from the "diamond ring", when it first appeared, was not yellow, like the sun, but blue/white. I haven't heard anyone on TV mention this. Or it was just my imagination.
    HP Reverb G2

Glad you had a good show Paul. We had about 78% here and yes, the change in light even at that was quite noticeable. As you say, it's not "dark" but a strange twilight.
    Also, with near 80% it was interesting to note that the two prominent contrails overhead were so much 'brighter' or higher contrast against the darkened sky.
    We saw on the deck and watched with a pinhole (cereal box) viewer.

For anyone who missed it, apparently NOVA on PBS has an hour tonight (Monday) dedicated to the eclipse, with what is likely the best camera set outside of NASA - check your local times for the show.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

TY on the NOVA special. Will check that out. While watching the coverage this morning, there was a lot of talk about the animals and insects. Here, the cicada bugs didn't start up until just a few minutes before totality. I guess they were all like "dude, shut up, it's not night time yet. Yes it is. No it isn't! Look outside! Yes but... ok, it's dark, must be night time. WTH? Now it's daytime again?! ... That was weird..."
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    TY on the NOVA special. Will check that out. While watching the coverage this morning, there was a lot of talk about the animals and insects. Here, the cicada bugs didn't start up until just a few minutes before totality. I guess they were all like "dude, shut up, it's not night time yet. Yes it is. No it isn't! Look outside! Yes but... ok, it's dark, must be night time. WTH? Now it's daytime again?! ... That was weird..."

LOL..nice on reading the bugs minds,but ive got to tell you,as it got dimmer here,there was a golden effect to the sunlight.just as they were showing the start on the science channel at 9am pst,from madris oregon,my cat began to wander and cry,she got more and more upset,and at the pint of totality in oregon,she was standing at full alert on my pillow looking out the bedroom window,big 70"x63" window..oddest window ive ever seen,but it is a mobile home.anyway,she was on the pillow and began to "dance",started to cry as if in distress or even pain,was purring very loudly...as the show on tv was winding down,she began to calm,then laid down and went off to a deep sleep,slept for about 3 hours and then woke all nervous again...shes sleeping calmly again now....but it was strange to see her.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Animals do act strangely during these events i'm told. My cats were ok till it happened then began running around the house when it happened. Strange to see.

Juan Brown did this video on the eclipse.the cool thing about this is he shows how the shadows were effected.pretty cool really.btw,his super secrete spot is in the cape horn area just east of Colfax California along the UPRR,this is the general area where the Chinese laborers supposedly hung in baskets to blast away at Cape Horn.been pretty much debunked.the topography isnt vertical as was claimed,there are areas where it could possibly have occurred,but not likely as the over hang was only feet,not hundred of feet.i once faught fire in the very area where it was supposed to have been,we just tied ropes off to the engines and climbed down,,,,and back up later.only place ive ever had to repel was along Mosquito ridge road east of foresthill cal,its an area known locally as the narrows. repelled down for a body recovery but ended up hiking out down river after the helo lifted the body.

Glad you boys had a great time over the Pond.
    We had this in the U.K. a few years ago.

The thing I remember most about it was the quality of the light as the Moon eclipsed. It was like the air became touchable, grainy, of substance; that you could almost reach out and touch - and then, it was gone.

It's a wonderful experience.

Best,

Ganter

~2m 30s is a very short time for things to happen, but sometimes they just do...

via Twitter

Mike Seidel
    ‏Verified account @mikeseidel
    Aug 21

WOW! Kirsten Jorgensen in Lewiston, ID was about to pack up & go inside then saw the plane. She ran to the camera & click!

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Here in Klamath Falls, Or, we only got 92% coverage, but my cats were all acting there was a huge thunderstorm on top of us. Zooming all over the house, looking out windows and mewowing, all that fun stuff. They started about 0920 local (PDT) and stopped about 1020 PDT. Interesting effect indeed. My parrot (a Hans Macaw. The mini-est of macaws!) tried to just tuck her head like it was night, but the kitties kept on zooming through the room, startling her. She was about as impressed as could be by the eclipse, apparently
    There really wasn't any good viewing here. Were in a valley, and there's a forest fire at one end, so the sky was pretty well totally covered with smoke. Still freaked the kitties though. Kinda funny watching 4 cats all zooming in different directions for an hour. I just had to keep my feet out of the way. Dangerous, low flying missiles!

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Hello All,

Glad you all had fun.
    Bugs and Animals reaction are kind of interesting though.

Obviously their Cicada-ian Rhythms were thrown off a bit.
    The more primitive Insect brains just figured Dark == Night, so do what we are sposta do at night.
    The Bird Brains figured something isn't right but just go with the program.
    The Cats KNOW something is wrong and are scrambling because it must be the end of the world.
    We, the "Superior" Humans KNOW what is happening and get prepared to enjoy the show.

Just think of how humans would have reacted a few thousand or perhaps even a few hundred years ago:
    We would have acted just like the cats except that with our superior brains, we might have chosen to sacrifice a few of our fellows to appease the gods who were obviously angry at us!

My Wife set up a cardboard box as a background and used a pair of Binoculars to focus the Light from the Sun.
    Although by this method we could not really see the Sun directly, we had a very good view of the state of the Eclipse.
    My Son also had heard that a Welding Helmet might work as well, so I found one that I had and we could look directly at the Sun with that method.
    The Welding Helmet was a really cheap one (included with an arc welder) and didn't really provide enough shielding for looking for a long time, but for a couple seconds at a time, we could get a pretty good view.

We took a few pictures, but clouds and a thunderstorm masked the peak of the eclipse for us.

- Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    ~2m 30s is a very short time for things to happen, but sometimes they just do...

WOW! Kirsten Jorgensen in Lewiston, ID was about to pack up & go inside then saw the plane. She ran to the camera & click!
    How utterly fantastic timing! That juxtaposition is incredible, and looks like a fiery sword!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Members who have read this thread: 0