Panel van

Thread: Panel van

Panel van

Gents,

OT i guess but maybe someone here can help me out with this : Ford and Chevrolet, and possibly more brands, have these types of vans that are called 'Panel'. Seems to me these types are always closed as f.i. opposed to pick-up types. I see them often as customized hot rods but also as sort of delivery vans from the 1940's/50's.

A friend of mine and me are just wondering what exactly 'Panel' means in this respect. Has it to do with this particular type of closed van ? And if so why is it called 'Panel' ?....

I told my friend i'll ask my buddies over at the SOH forums, no doubt they'll help us out.

So, don't let me down, guys...

Cheers,
    jan

as far as i know it started early on,say a early 50s panel van,would actually be a station wagon type car with the rear windows from the front door back closed off,or a panel in place of the windows.like a sedan delivery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_delivery

you can also look at the chevy suburban as a panel van when the windows are blanked out.....i know i dont explain things well,but it really is that simple.when you speak of a panel delivery,same thing,the windows were blanked out,but if you have just a cargo van,they are the same,except they are much newer and purpose built as a van.

Blog Entries
    This might help Jan.

Google:
    Sedan Delivery
    Panel Delivery

Sometimes they are additionally defined as Pre War and Post War. Add that to your search.

I have a large library of black and white hot rod art from Dave Looper.
    Give that a search as well, it's still available online. Good Stuff.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

i have a pic here somerwhere at the house of a late 40s international panel truck my grandpa owned as part of Kauffman Plumbing.

Ok, great ! Thanks, guys !

So basicly it's the replacement of glass windows by metal panels that gave the name to this type of vans/trucks. As a flightsimmer from FSII onwards you can imagine my main understanding of the word 'panel' .... ;-)

All clear now, one more mistery solved. Most of these cars look quite wonderful, both original vintage and modern hot rod vesions as well. My friend and neighbour is an American cars nut (from my avatar it's clear where my heart is fixed on re cars...) He has an immaculate Chevy pick-up 1968 and a late 50's Ford Fairline that he's working on. He stumbled over this the other day and now can't sleep anymore :

I shall be happy now to inform him about why it is called a Ford F100 Panel Truck . Atleast that's something.. ;-)

Thanks again, guys, i knew i came to right place !

Cheers,
    Jan

If it's a rockin' don't come knockin'

I could not resist.
    Panel Vans were very popular in Oz in the 1970's.
    Holden's and Fords, There were some very elaborate setups.
    And a motto was 'If it's a rockin' don't come knockin'
    Cheers
    Stuart

OK....Panel Vans (aka Shagging Wagons) are based on a sedan chassis that has been beefed up to the same standard as an Aussie Ute.
    Ford and GMH produced them for a few decades but they seem to have been replaced by the curse of the SUV.
    Although, GM might still do a Sandman, 888 Racing use a Sandman body shell on their twin turbo V6 test mule for the 2018 Supercar series.
    The most popular and venerated Classic is the Holden Sandman, most powered by a 225 straight six but many with either a 308 or 350 V8.
    My Father owned a 350ci 4 speed manual complete with Sandman stripes and Unger alloys which he bought in 1973 as a retirement present to himself,
    finished in a tasteful shade of orange and chocolate brown.
    It looked like a bloody big Jaffa!

Quite a nice clean mid 1970s Sandman, 308 powered, in the usual closed configuration.

More unusual is this restoration project, windows were not popular for obvious reasons.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Typical of the present day 'collector' Sandman (Sandmen?), this wears the correct pattern alloys but the moon roof, spoiler, bloody great bonnet scoop and Caprice nose are custom additions.
    The market for the original Sandman was your typical Australian surfer, as it could carry 2 boards and sleep 2 people, usually (on a good day) the sleepers would be the owner of the car and a Grommet collected during the days surfing.

Fords were more utilitarian and not popular with the Surfing crowd at all.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0