AF Scrub/J. Beckwith F-51H revisited - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AF Scrub/J. Beckwith F-51H revisited

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Was not the F51 used in Korea, I recall reading that a couple of Sqn's swapped out there P 80's too F51's so they could deal with the Yak 9's flown by the North Koreans ?

Steve
    Steve,

According to what I read about F-51H, despite being more refined and offering better performance than F-51D, F-51Hs were never used in Korea because F-51D were already available in more quantities and had already proven their value in combat. As the H version was lighter for more performance it may have been less damage-tolerant than its counterpart D, especially as Korean mustangs were mainly use for close air support.

L'iguane

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    L'iguane - enjoying your repaints very much indeed! Thank you for your additions to the existing aircraft file.

This is an interesting topic you raise, and it can be treated also as an elementary lesson in the economics of war. When WWII ended the USAAF/USAF found itself in possession of an imposing fleet of P-51s, some of which it retained, some it scrapped and some it mothballed. It also had a number of P-47Ds, bubble-tops. The P-47s cost more per unit to manufacture than the Mustangs, plus the R-2800 engine was more expensive to both manufacture and maintain than the Packard Merlin. It also had worse fuel mileage than the V-1710. When you add these things up it shows why the few ANG units that were issued P-47Ds after WWII kept them mostly for only a limited time. The P-47s in the inventory were disposed of as quickly as possible. The P-51s were kept because there were many more than the P-47s, and if they were lost to enemy ground fire, it didn't cost as much to replace one of those as it did to pull a P-47 out of an ANG unit and send it to Korea - although it would have been far superior to the P-51 as a ground attack aircraft, no doubt.

Even in the middle of a war, the purse strings matter.

BTW if you've ever seen a film called "Fighter Squadron," starring Edmond O'Brien and Robert Stack, it was shot in 1948 or 1949 at an ANG unit possibly in Kentucky or Tennessee. I may be wrong, I'm recalling the words of someone who was associated with the film (an AF type who did liaison between Republic Studios and the USAF/ANG and got the unit to do the flying sequences for the film). He said that film was a testament to many of the men who are seen flying those P-47s because about a year or so after the film was completed they converted to P-51s. Quite a few shipped out to Korea and many did not return.

Interesting note for trivia types - Republic Studios made the film about a Republic product.

Was not the F51 used in Korea, I recall reading that a couple of Sqn's swapped out there P 80's too F51's so they could deal with the Yak 9's flown by the North Koreans ?
    Steve
    Yes, the F-51 was used in Korea, but not to deal with the Yaks. (The F-82s and F-80s could handle them well enough.) It was used for ground attack.

The F-51 was brought in when the Air Force suddenly realized that it had just finished scrapping the last examples of the plane they really needed, the F-47 Thunderbolt. The Mustang wasn't a very good choice for the ground attack role, as its liquid cooling system made it very vulnerable to ground fire (an expensive lesson that the USAAF had already learned in WW2, when many P-51's and their pilots, including several top fighter aces, were lost to ground fire) but it was the only relatively slow fighter-bomber available and the F-80s were too fast to do the job with the desired precision, and they lacked endurance over the battlefield. (Despite that, the F-80 and F-84 were used in vast numbers in the ground attack role as the war went on, and they did the job quite well.)

All the Mustangs used in Korea were the older D model, and the Air Force had to scour the Air National Guard to get them back. The faster, lighter and less sturdy H models were retained at home for air defense until they could be replaced by jets - which were in short supply due to the war in Korea.
    Last edited by Mick; August 23rd, 2017 at 11:31.

Model & Texture Note

I've discovered something that might save someone some annoyance.

I've had the original Jerry Beckwith model installed since it was released in the fairly early days of FS9. I never installed Scrubby's version of it because I saw no need for it. So when I selected my favorites from l'Iguane's skins I didn't use the model that he supplied with them. I quickly discovered that when one of the new skins is applied to the original model, the top part of the vertical tail is not painted by the image on the texture file.

When I tried the new model with one of my old skins I found that the top of the tail doesn't display properly, sort of the flip side of the issue.

If you want your F-51H to wear my old skins and l'Iguane's new ones, you'll need both Jerry's original model and l'Iguane's update of Scrubby's in your aircraft folder. I named the original "model.JB" and the new one "model.AFS" and assigned each skin to the appropriate model in the aircaft.cfg file.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I've discovered something that might save someone some annoyance.

I've had the original Jerry Beckwith model installed since it was released in the fairly early days of FS9. I never installed Scrubby's version of it because I saw no need for it. So when I selected my favorites from l'Iguane's skins I didn't use the model that he supplied with them. I quickly discovered that when one of the new skins is applied to the original model, the top part of the vertical tail is not painted by the image on the texture file.

When I tried the new model with one of my old skins I found that the top of the tail doesn't display properly, sort of the flip side of the issue.

If you want your F-51H to wear my old skins and l'Iguane's new ones, you'll need both Jerry's original model and l'Iguane's update of Scrubby's in your aircraft folder. I named the original "model.JB" and the new one "model.AFS" and assigned each skin to the appropriate model in the aircaft.cfg file.
    I didn't notice that

Thanks for the update Mick, will probably save one or many from an annoying troubleshooting
    Cheers

L'iguane

L'iguane, I just sent one of your skins through the Wayback Machine: N313H has re-enlisted in the Army, where it first got that very attractive olive drab and white livery. I hope you like it!

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    Yes, the F-51 was used in Korea, but not to deal with the Yaks. (The F-82s and F-80s could handle them well enough.) It was used for ground attack.

The F-51 was brought in when the Air Force suddenly realized that it had just finished scrapping the last examples of the plane they really needed, the F-47 Thunderbolt. The Mustang wasn't a very good choice for the ground attack role, as its liquid cooling system made it very vulnerable to ground fire (an expensive lesson that the USAAF had already learned in WW2, when many P-51's and their pilots, including several top fighter aces, were lost to ground fire) but it was the only relatively slow fighter-bomber available and the F-80s were too fast to do the job with the desired precision. (Despite that, the F-80 and F-84 were used in vast numbers in the ground attack role as the war went on, and they did the job quite well.)

All the Mustangs used in Korea were the older D model, and the Air Force had to scour the Air National Guard to get them back. The faster, lighter and less sturdy H models were retained at home for air defense until they could be replaced by jets - which were in short supply due to the war in Korea.
    Hi Mick.
    In the original article in August 1994 Air International, by Robert F Dore. It is stated that "many pilots complained that the F80 was too fast and lacked the Manoeuvrability and pleaded for prop driven aircraft to combat North Korea's Yak and Lavochkin's. By the autumn of 1552, two of the three F80 sqn's in Korea had been converted too F-51D Mustangs for a short period of time". I read this article many moons ago and forgot the D bit so I saw this thread I wondered if maybe this model was the correct one or not. I have since found the article again and realised that It was just me being forgetful.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

L'iguane, I just sent one of your skins through the Wayback Machine: N313H has re-enlisted in the Army, where it first got that very attractive olive drab and white livery. I hope you like it!
    For sure I like it
    I would have sent you the N313H original templates if I had known !

L'iguane

Hi Mick.
    In the original article in August 1994 Air International, by Robert F Dore. It is stated that "many pilots complained that the F80 was too fast and lacked the Manoeuvrability and pleaded for prop driven aircraft to combat North Korea's Yak and Lavochkin's... Steve
    I'll bet I read that article back when that was the current issue!

I should've remembered about the F-80 and the comments by its pilots. But I'm old, I'm supposed to forget things.

The old F-82 had no trouble with the Yaks, though! Even in the daytime, while hauling around those big night fighter radar pickles and the operator with his equipment, they made quick work of the Yaks when they ran into them.

Quote Originally Posted by l'iguane View Post
    For sure I like it
    I would have sent you the N313H original templates if I had known !L'iguane
    Thanks! But that's OK, it was an easy job to delete the N-number and add the in-service bits.

The fictious liveries of Brunei AF are uploaded and will be available shortly.

Cheers
    L'iguane

Members who have read this thread: 0