FSX Steam won't start

Thread: FSX Steam won't start

FSX Steam won't start

So, I just installed FSX Steam Edition on my PC, and I click the play button. Instead of loading, it gives me a warning that says "Steam must be running to play this game( Steam initialization failed). Steam is already running, though. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Try verifying the installation through Steam, or maybe a plain old reboot might do the trick.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I've done all that. Even re-installed it. Gives me the same message every time.

Did you try starting it "manually", so to speak? IE: Clicking on the FSX.EXE file?
    If you did, have you tried starting it from your Steam app? Sometimes it needs to be for some reason.
    Also, are you logged in to Steam, or just have the app running? Try it when logged in.
    You don't have to be, by the way. You can start it in "Off-line" mode with the menu in the upper left corner of the app.

I don't know if any of those are any help. I start mine with a short-cut on the desk-top, and I always start it as Administrator. You can set the shortcut to do that automatically. If you want to know how, just let me know.

Just shooting in the dark here. Hope I hit something...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I emailed Dovetail last night and got it fixed this morning.

If we, or at least I, may ask, what was done to fix the trouble?
    I have FSX:SE and perhaps the solution may be handy for me someday, or for another Steam user.
    If it's something private, or not to be shared, that's fine, I was just curious, as usual
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

I emailed Dovetail, and they said to close Steam, then open Steam again as Admin, and that the game should start. It started. Apparently, this is a bug they've known about for quite some time, but they never bothered to actually fix.

That is interesting.
    I've never had that type of problem as I always run Steam with admin rights.
    One to file away in the handy to know folder.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I remember this used to happen to me way back at launch. Then somewhere along the way it got fixed (for me), because now I don't run steam with admin rights and it works no problem.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it

I have always run Steam as Admin, myself. I got FSX:SE the day it came out, and have run it as admin since day 1 also. Maybe I dodged some bullets there.

Thanks again!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0