Blog Entries

Top 10 Reasons FSW will be the next "Flight Simulator 2017"

Give it time and then decide...
    https://youtu.be/2hmEbJrrVOg

Enjoy,
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Interesting points indeed.
    As he stressed out in the video, if the the party addon makers come to that sim, then FSW might really become the thing it was supposed to become. I'm getting more and more curious, honnestly. I didn't care much about FSW until now, but TrueSKY changed everything.

And the clouds in that video are just spectacular, as expected.

I voted on release with my wallet, have not been disappointed yet. Great things to come. Let's hope they have an exclusivity clause with truesky, P3D will be all over it like a tart on a bonnet (hood, to our friends across the pond) otherwise.

The only thing that will keep FSW from imploding is their own 3rd party development track. As it is now, devs will get paid about 25% of sales from steam. That is insane. So while devs CAN sell from their own store front, who's going to buy that way when you could buy from steam? It makes no sense. Where's the impetus to develop with that kind of ROI? I wish them good luck they're going to need it. P3D is 100% open and staged to really make some massive engine enhancements as well as developer enhancements. If you haven't read through the newest SDK documentation then you really should.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Rick from the talks in the LIVE forum it looks that may soon be changing...here's hoping!
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Rick from the talks in the LIVE forum it looks that may soon be changing...here's hoping!
    Ted
    Can you give me the link to the forum please?

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    I voted on release with my wallet, have not been disappointed yet. Great things to come. Let's hope they have an exclusivity clause with truesky, P3D will be all over it like a tart on a bonnet (hood, to our friends across the pond) otherwise.
    Me too, I figure that showing support early is a worthwhile investment.
    And that would be a mole on a bonnet down under JDT.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries

Hi - I can't for the life of me find the discussion you metioned. The thread (linked above) seems to concern itself only with logging in and checkboxes.

I find the FSW / developer relationship extremely fascinating. Would you be so kind as to give me a more specific link, so i can read exactly what Rick said?

best wishes - K

Blog Entries
    The Rick I was talking to was 000rick000...As for the discussion they change weekly and I have no control what is saved from the live feed or discarded.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    The only thing that will keep FSW from imploding is their own 3rd party development track. As it is now, devs will get paid about 25% of sales from steam. That is insane. So while devs CAN sell from their own store front, who's going to buy that way when you could buy from steam? It makes no sense. Where's the impetus to develop with that kind of ROI? I wish them good luck they're going to need it. P3D is 100% open and staged to really make some massive engine enhancements as well as developer enhancements. If you haven't read through the newest SDK documentation then you really should.
    Honestly, no offense, but where do you take that number from?

It's more or less deducted from the initial comments made by some 3rd party addon makers, back when FSW appeared.
    According to them, for an addon sold on Steam, Steam takes 30% and Dovetail planned to take another 30% of the price.
    Of the 40% left, you had to take the taxes out and also the royalties, stuff like that.
    The final amount of money going in the developper pockets was then estimated around 20 to 30%, with a lot of approximations

However, since then, some new informations came in, in that order:
    1- 3rd party devs could sell on their own shops, as long as they would sell the addon on Steam as well
    2- Dovetail wanted some 90 days exclusivity for the Steam sale, before the dev could sell it on any other store
    3- The percentage taken by Dovetail appeared to be negociable
    4- The above-mentioned restrictions are being revised by Dovetail based on the critical negative feedback received on all forums from the community and the 3rd party devs, so finally we don't know what to expect.

In the end, at the moment it is totally unclear what the pricing and selling policy is going to be for FSW addons.
    It will probably not be as bad as initially announced, because Dovetail understood the devs would refuse to produce any addons for them in such conditions.

So now it's wait&see. If Dovetail manages to agree on an acceptable policy with devs, then we will get addons for FSW.

I imagine they should have realised the need for a sensible arrangement by now, given their experience with FSX-E and third party sales.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I got the figure from a friend who's a dev that talked to DTG recently about cost structure. I definitely hope it changes. The sim is really looking nice, but without the prospect of military flying is going to be a hard sell for me any way.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I am very disappointed, the exclusion zones FSX (to mask deafault airport) do not work in scenery. No possibility to fix this. This does not augur well for the future.

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    I am very disappointed, the exclusion zones FSX (to mask deafault airport) do not work in scenery. No possibility to fix this. This does not augur well for the future.

JMC
    Well, the idea was always that FSW would be incompatible with other versions of ESP. I'm actually surprised that so far it seems relatively easy to convert things over.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    2- Dovetail wanted some 90 days exclusivity for the Steam sale, before the dev could sell it on any other store
    It should be noted with the release of the Just Flight's PA-28R Arrow III for FSW, there was no 90 day exclusivity. It was up on Just Flight's store the same day it was released on Steam. There is a short term discount buying it via Steam, but that's going away shortly.

I can only speak for our relationship with Dovetail, but they've never mentioned a Steam-exclusivity period and we (Just Flight) retain full rights to our product, and we can choose to sell it how/where we like.

Thanks
    Martyn
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

Members who have read this thread: 0