AH Curtis Commando Released! - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AH Curtis Commando Released!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Ralf, you need to compare apples with apples. If you are seriously expecting PMDG DC6 level simulation with the C46 then no it will disappoint you. But then it has not taken 4 years to develop or cost the same. MJ's C47 is a masterpiece but again, I am envious of the development time and resources that have gone into it. The hobby is rapidly changing and developing into a two-party system - those that require "study-sim" level and those who do not. Both need to be catered for and are. Neither is bad nor wrong.
    Something that people should really take into consideration.
    Yes, I have the 'Study Sim' DC6 and while it is brilliant it takes me so long to get it airborne another day is done!
    And I'm too old to lose a day like that.
    Honestly, I'll take an aircraft that looks like the real deal and gets me airborne after a relatively short flight check every time, but that's my preference.
    And those who wish to go from cold and dark have the right to do so if they prefer, choice is a wonderful thing.
    But given the development time and costs we can't have all the bells and whistles in each and every package.
    The C46 is fine for my parameters, a couple of minor bugs but they will be sorted.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Ralf, you need to compare apples with apples. If you are seriously expecting PMDG DC6 level simulation with the C46 then no it will disappoint you. But then it has not taken 4 years to develop or cost the same. MJ's C47 is a masterpiece but again, I am envious of the development time and resources that have gone into it. The hobby is rapidly changing and developing into a two-party system - those that require "study-sim" level and those who do not. Both need to be catered for and are. Neither is bad nor wrong.
    it is a very nice plane.......and i do not expecting PMDG DC6 level for the price.........i love to pay more for the features i miss........

i found a way to change to the old vc..............maybee i can ad some features myself,is there a way to get realengine to work in p3dv4?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    to all,i appologize right up front,this has nothing to do with the C-46,
    SS101,a good friend of mine here in California was a fire buff and collected more then 30 fire engines before his death (at a young age i might add,three kids the oldest of them was 6 at his death.),but why imm telling you this,he made a trip to Ypsilanti and bought an old Seagraves fire engine ,he also brought home a jeep fire engine same trip,but he just loved the seagraves and id never would have heard of a town called Ypsilanti had it not been for Dan,i cant look at a seagraves today ,or see the name in print without remembering my friend.
    A little off-topic but a fun fact - the original "Domino's" pizza parlor is located in Ypsi. The chain got its start there.

Didn't quite escape.
    A quick question for Baz, if he's lurking around here anywhere... Not just applying to this one, it's something I can't check while I'm overseas or I'd do so myself. Are AH aircraft done with lots of LODs for multiplayer flying?

Ian P.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Honestly, I'll take an aircraft that looks like the real deal and gets me airborne after a relatively short flight check every time, but that's my preference.
    And those who wish to go from cold and dark have the right to do so if they prefer, choice is a wonderful thing.

The C46 is fine for my parameters, a couple of minor bugs but they will be sorted.
    I share this approach and like this C46. I just would like a favor : the "right" to mess up the start sequence.... If I miss one step I never succeed to retry...

I know it is clearly written in the documentation (that I have carefully read several times) :
    Although not installed in the real aircraft, we have incorporated a COLD DARK START switch in the overhead
    panel. If you use this switch, the aircraft will be placed in a ‘Cold & Dark’ state. This switch can only be used
    once per flight and you will need to reset the flight if you wish to use it again.
    nevertheless it would be great to be able to "play it again, Sam".

Sufficient priming is also important to the process.
    Does this mean we must wait between setting prime and activating the starter ? I noticed I had better chance to succeed when I do it, but I wonder if it is just a "placebo" effect
    Can we check on some gauge that booster and prime have done there job. ?

Just few remarks (on civilian panel)
    - the primers stay on for ever - should not they automaticaly turn off after a while ?
    - most of the time, the right mesh don't automatically switch off (while this happen on the left one).

I also noticed that the gear level is moving the opposite way of the mouse drag. It took me some time to discover it

Thanks for your attention.

Gérard

Just got it, but will postpone installation waiting service packs to show up!
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    Just got it, but will postpone installation waiting service packs to show up!
    Is that like building an Ark, and waiting for it to rain? ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Can I polish the skin? And does it incorporate discrete specular textures for the exterior and not just a single generic specular like the hunter? (Please say yes, fingers crossed)... I requested it a long time ago when it was first announced...but obviously you can't cater to everyone...however this would have been one of the better things to implement...I'm really hoping!!!!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

For those having problems with the start/restart, here's a brief runthrough.
    First use the Cold/Dark switch to turn everything off. Return this switch to its default position- OFF.
    Battery Switch ON
    Tank wheels right click to "center"
    Mixture levers full forward.
    Check ignition ON and Mags to both
    Select engine you wish to start.

Now this is important-I think that some people are not recognising that the start and mesh switches are mirrored for the right engine. Which means that if you switch the left hand switch first as you do for the left engine, you are in fact only switching on the MESH and not the START.

So if you start the right engine first, switch on the PRIMER ,second left on the switch panel for the right engine. Now switch on the START switch which is extreme right of the panel.The starter will stay on for approx. 40 seconds with the prop turning over in which time you must switch on the MESH switch (to the left of the START switch) and HOLD IT ON until the engine fires. Turn off the PRIMER-it is not automatic.

Now repeat for the left engine but remember that the switches are mirrored so PRIMER is second right on the left engine start panel. The START is extreme left and the MESH is to the right of the START switch.With engines running, hit the Cold/Dark switch again and you should be able to go through the whole procedure again. Just remember all the stages.
    You can easily leave out the tanks or perhaps the mixture controls. The engines will not start if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Can I polish the skin? And does it incorporate discrete specular textures for the exterior and not just a single generic specular like the hunter? (Please say yes, fingers crossed)... I requested it a long time ago when it was first announced...but obviously you can't cater to everyone...however this would have been one of the better things to implement...I'm really hoping!!!!
    like the dove, that every part had different properties
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-2-18_22-10-14-453.jpg  

May I ask for some comments on the C-46's take-off run, and how quickly it gets off the ground ? I have two other A.H. aircraft, the Chipmunk and Helldiver, and both seem to have almost STOL-like take-off characteristics. I'd be grateful if someone could load the Commando up to maximum weight and see how quickly it becomes airborne.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    May I ask for some comments on the C-46's take-off run, and how quickly it gets off the ground ? I have two other A.H. aircraft, the Chipmunk and Helldiver, and both seem to have almost STOL-like take-off characteristics. I'd be grateful if someone could load the Commando up to maximum weight and see how quickly it becomes airborne.

Thank you.
    Unfortunately, for me at least, somewhat "STOL-like", as you describe. Loaded to near MTOW, still seems to accelerate very rapidly. That being said, really like the visuals, and a lot of potential here.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post

Thank you.
    I agree, it's the first "Stol" C-46 off the production line ?? I'm sure this and all the other concerns noted by our fellow simmers will be addressed shortly.

Nice bit of kit, bring on the P47

Cheers

One additional thought I might add,

I'm finding even after I've tweaked the CH Yoke inputs the C46 seems to be very sensitive on the control surfaces.

Cheers for now

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Is that like building an Ark, and waiting for it to rain? ;-)
    better that way than waiting til the flood is at your knees...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    One additional thought I might add,

I'm finding even after I've tweaked the CH Yoke inputs the C46 seems to be very sensitive on the control surfaces.

Cheers for now
    I usually have to temporarily tweak the flight tuning section of many of my aircraft until a suitable patch comes out

In aircraft.cfg:

[flight_tuning]
    elevator_effectiveness = 1.0
    aileron_effectiveness = 1.0
    rudder_effectiveness = 1.0
    pitch_stability = 1.0
    roll_stability = 1.0
    yaw_stability = 1.0
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    like the dove, that every part had different properties
    Thanks for the reply Matt. I have no experience with the Dove... but, are you saying that each of those shades of black represents an inconsistent material setting, meaning that you can't actually achieve the same level of reflections etc. per texture? That would be a shame! Hopefully I'm misinterpreting what you're saying? But that's how that screenshot is helping me understand your comments.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

W&B is also messed up. Pilots weights add up on one side of the plane.
    If you change the fuel load, you might notice that it changes the CoG in a strange way, but I can´t find that fault in the aircraft.cfg must be the air-file.
    I have my 2 days off now and will do some research on the plane/engines to see what modifications need to be done until a fix is released.
    I still love the plane but it seems that the project had to be finished in a rush....

Hello,

As I continue to "play" with the C_46, I noticed that

- switching the starter activates the rotation of the motor. I thought, reading the documentation (but I am not an english native speaker), that it is the mesh which actually start the rotation of the propeller.
    - the tooltip of Fuel Tank Pump switch 2 displays the status of the switch 1

Regards

Gérard

For those who doubt the capabilities of the aeroplane, please read this: https://www.cafsocal.com/our-aircraf...-46/:engel016:

For those who doubt the capabilities of the aeroplane, please read this: https://www.cafsocal.com/our-aircraf...-46/:engel016:
    good read thanks

Richard.

Fascinating reading. Had no idea.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Wow, great reading. Was not aware that the airplane was so agile, especially given it's size. So I guess the STOL-like characteristics are pretty accurate here.

Bill

It's not STOL, never was STOL, just a much better aircraft than its apparent size lead people to (mistakenly) believe.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Correct. To be clear, don't think anyone was defining it as a "STOL" - clearing a 50 ft obstacle, after a 1,500 ft - or less, takeoff run (DOD/NATO) aircraft per se, but more "STOL-Like" than it would, on the surface, appear. I can also see how it is a little more of a "handful" on the ground, esp. at low speeds, too. Which also appears by accounts to be accurate.

Bill

Members who have read this thread: 0