AH Curtis Commando Released! - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AH Curtis Commando Released!

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    I think I can remember only one of their products that has worked out of the box so to speak and has yet to need a SP.
    Tiger Moth?

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    one thing for the patch, can we see spec mapping for each of the texture files, instead of the generic single spec file that covers the whole model and look at the engine data as she stalls out on a +400ftfpm climb around the 8000 feet mark and maybe revise the COG as flying level she flys nose down and bum up and look at the vc lighting or the lack off
    I asked for this before the models were complete. Without specs for each texture sheet, a truly "realistic" aluminum cannot be achieved. Matt, how's the reflection scale? how far to the black end of the greyscale are your alpha channels to get this level of reflection?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I asked for this before the models were complete. Without specs for each texture sheet, a truly "realistic" aluminum cannot be achieved. Matt, how's the reflection scale? how far to the black end of the greyscale are your alpha channels to get this level of reflection?
    Rick we wi;; discuss this in the hanger group page, I will post some pics for you

lets put it this way, you wont get what your after noting your other works

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Barry,

IMHO you've done a great job so far. I'm pleased with the model.

Cees
    Thankyou Cees, I appreciate the comment, one can't please all of the people...

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Barry,

IMHO you've done a great job so far. I'm pleased with the model.

Cees
    I have yet to buy it, but yes, it certainly looks to be a fine model. I'm typing this, hopefully, to be of encouragement to A.H. - this really could be a winner. Take time to make it perfect, gentlemen.

one thing for the patch, can we see spec mapping for each of the texture files, instead of the generic single spec file that covers the whole model

and look at the engine data as she stalls out on a +400ftfpm climb around the 8000 feet mark and maybe revise the COG as flying level she flys nose down and bum up

and look at the vc lighting or the lack off
    If you were to read the contemporary reports, you would see that pilots reported the C46 barely making 450 - 500 fpm above 6,000ft. This was one of the great challenges of flying the "Hump". It required circling in huge, slow climbing circles before setting off for the mountains. The nose down attitude is due to position of payload. The lift coefficient for the wing is set for level attitude when using the gyro-pilot to hold altitude. POH recommends use of the GyroPilot at all times when off the ground. For manual flying do what they did, alter the ratio of fore and aft cargo weights. Engines are configured to book values allowing for slightly increase prop efficiency/thrust to provide a mean result across the different models.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    If you were to read the contemporary reports, you would see that pilots reported the C46 barely making 450 - 500 fpm above 6,000ft. This was one of the great challenges of flying the "Hump". It required circling in huge, slow climbing circles before setting off for the mountains. The nose down attitude is due to position of payload. The lift coefficient for the wing is set for level attitude when using the gyro-pilot to hold altitude. POH recommends use of the GyroPilot at all times when off the ground. For manual flying do what they did, alter the ratio of fore and aft cargo weights. Engines are configured to book values allowing for slightly increase prop efficiency/thrust to provide a mean result across the different models.

good information bazzar.thanks

@worknow, while experimenting with a model's behaviour you should understand that many FS products don't just use the default systems to model fuel and flight behaviour. A number of developers add custom gauge or external program features to reproduce specific characteristics in ways the air file and aircraft.cfg alone cannot. A2A's Accusim would be a more extreme example. If you then try your own modifications the result may be you merely break the flight model.

I don't know how much or little of the C46 uses such custom behaviour, but if it does it won't be documented in the model's manual (I have no connection with AH/JF.) Tread cautiously.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Yet another promising aircraft parked in the hangar till some critical issues get sorted out, in other words SP1 etc. This is not JF but AH (the creators) they seem more times than not to be let a product go before having tested it thoroughly or run it through to sort out the operational stuff, never an issue with the model or the textures (well how they do them is another issue). Still there is another way of looking at it; release it early, get some dollars back to pay for repairs and rectification and you have all the eager flight sim community to do your beta testing for you.
    I think I can remember only one of their products that has worked out of the box so to speak and has yet to need a SP.
    I was really looking forward to this one and I will just have to wait until it is fixed.
    Lets hope they don't do an update and stuff all the early release liveries like they did with another product!
    My first venture into Payware was the AH Spitfire series, always loved it.
    I'm probably not 'picky' enough but I've never had any complaints re AH developed aircraft, they all worked out of the box.
    All the 'eager flight sim community' are the reason why developers are brow beaten into 'early releases', the stream of 'when do we get it' once a new project is announced reaps its own rewards.
    Patience is a virtue severely lacking among the 'eager flight sim community'
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

done the first one, most of the others ones I want to do are already done in the package however I will to redo them

done the first one, most of the others ones I want to do are already done in the package however I will to redo them

Wow, that really changed the model. Well done!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Have to say I have had a good time with this C 46, has been fun!

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Have to say I have had a good time with this C 46, has been fun!
    Same here! I have been flying it and enjoying it just about every day since it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Wow, that really changed the model. Well done!
    Thanks im going to redo most of the supplied paints plus a few others

Jeansy, that bare metal looks beautiful. Nice work.

I really like the Commando but,There
    are two things that I would like fixed.I don't
    know if anyone else is having this problem but
    I have no cockpit lighting and even at quarter throttle
    she takes off in the shortest space.Like the sibwings
    An-2.

Regards.
    Anthin.

Lighting will be added in an SP but I am very loathe to touch the FDs. The C46 will take off in a very short distance. Prop thrust and engine torque provided power to operate on very short strips. The design was faster than many four engine aircraft on takeoff and early climb/cruise settings.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    @worknow, while experimenting with a model's behaviour you should understand that many FS products don't just use the default systems to model fuel and flight behaviour. A number of developers add custom gauge or external program features to reproduce specific characteristics in ways the air file and aircraft.cfg alone cannot. A2A's Accusim would be a more extreme example. If you then try your own modifications the result may be you merely break the flight model.

I don't know how much or little of the C46 uses such custom behaviour, but if it does it won't be documented in the model's manual (I have no connection with AH/JF.) Tread cautiously.
    Tom, I am discussing that with one of the betas in PM.
    It seems like LM did much more than rebranding the FSX-Engine naming in P3D. Just take a look in the SDK describtion on their HP.
    I notice that more and more products are released for all versions of the Sim without taking these changes into account. The results on FSX might be different than on P3D since the Sim is "less complex".
    Dino for example noted on his plane that they work under P3D with issues. So if I buy them for P3D, I have to accept this.
    I repeat again: Not expecting study level in this price range. Not saying it is unflyable but it has bugs reported by more than one source! Some are minor, others not.
    Martyn reacted in the most professional way ("noted, investigating") and I am pretty sure that they work on it since they love the plane (like I do).

For those that are still reading this post, here´s an example of how the MS Sim changed over time:
    The smoke section in FS9 changed values to FSX so a lot of aircraft that appeared in FSX had strange smoketrails in external view.
    The fix was easy but the publisher couldn´t just sell FS9 stuff on FSX anymore without a little extra work.

Cheers, Marc

Lest we get off topic too much, I understand all the foibles that arise from the changes in both the environment and platforms for flight simulation that have occurred and continue to occur. I also well understand the pressure on developers to get a product to market and the more complex these models are the harder it becomes to beta test for whole range of things that some simmer will try and do. My observation is a simple one, I have no major complaint about AH, I really like what they do and the effort that goes into what they produce but when I work through the list of things they have done and that I have only two that have not required a SP, some several. Some are quite arcane problems and some are a result of simmers not understanding the era and systems of the type of aircraft they have (expecting autopilots to operate as they do in glass cockpits when early autopilots were quite rudimentary affairs is but one example). I would rather wait for them to do this testing and make sure basic stuff like lighting, radios and fuel systems work properly, the little niggledy bugs can be fixed later every model will have them it is the nature of the game. I also understand they are a business and so they need to generate income and more importantly they do fix stuff up. With this one I can wait, it is too good a model to be relegated because of a few bugs but I cannot use it for my intended flight simulation as it is (The HUMP). That's all.

If users expect perfection from day one, they have no idea of what the work involves. I notice even PMDG, who take years on their projects, release service packs to tackle compatibility issues and bug fixes.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4...other-goodies/
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

the start of some overhauls

firstly the training command crest was incorrect and the top of the wings lacked the red and a overhaul on the base metal layer

original

new

the base layer is a lil bit difficult to show the difference in screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    The C46 will take off in a very short distance. Prop thrust and engine torque provided power to operate on very short strips. The design was faster than many four engine aircraft on takeoff and early climb/cruise settings.
    Baz, I was lucky enough to see the C-46 take off as it was leaving Oshkosh 2016. First of all, standing next to it, I was surprised how big it is compared to the C-47. Next with that in mind I thought I would have trouble seeing the lift off from where I was standing thinking it would need a lot of runway. As the big bird lifted into the sky I realized just how little runway it used to get airborne. Also the climb out was incredibly fast. Great job of a much needed addition to our hobby.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

the start of some overhauls

firstly the training command crest was incorrect and the top of the wings lacked the red and a overhaul on the base metal layer

original

new

the base layer is a lil bit difficult to show the difference in screenshots
    Brilliant.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 0