AH Curtis Commando Released! - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AH Curtis Commando Released!

Possible idea/motivation for a repaint: http://www.platinumfighters.com/curtiss-c-46d

I've thought this to be one of the most attractive C-46's around.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

John-

Your screenshots, like Yo-Yo's are absolutely stunning (always). Thank-you!

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Saw my first Commando last year at Oshkosh 2016. The sound of the engines is a real experience. I was impressed on just how big this aircraft is. It was in Boeing square very close to a C-47. Two very different aircraft.
    Yeah, Tinker Belle looked great last year in her new coat of paint! It's impressive how big the Commando really is! It is almost identical in size to the Stratoliner, but with two engines. (It makes me wonder how the B-17 would have performed with a pair of 2800s vs four 1820s! There's only around an 800 hp difference.) Seven minutes left on my download.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Possible idea/motivation for a repaint: http://www.platinumfighters.com/curtiss-c-46d

I've thought this to be one of the most attractive C-46's around.

Only seven years ago. Wonder if it's still flying? It is a really attractive scheme. Imagine if they really gave the lower half a serious polishing!

Some screenshots from a flight around ORBX freeware Barth airport (inspired by one of Carl's fantastic screenshots posts). Having flown both, now, I think I prefer the instrument layout in the civilian/modified panel compared to the original WWII panel, as you get all of the flying instruments right in front of you - really nice!. As always, all screenshots are from FSX.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Loving these screen shots.Can't wait to get home and take her for a spin.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

John-

Absolutely salivating over these pics, but unable to fly until tomorrow.... especially appreciate your insight into her flight and handling characteristics... I'm planning on Fairbanks - Galena runs in this one... soon!

Best- C

I'm getting nothing but "jaggies" on all the panel lines. Very distracting. I don't see them in your screenshots. So I'm off to adjust graphics card settings. -d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

anyone want to talk about frame rates on a 3.6 or better CPU? also - is there a difference depending on which panel is used (vc) ?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    I'm getting nothing but "jaggies" on all the panel lines. Very distracting. I don't see them in your screenshots. So I'm off to adjust graphics card settings. -d
    Did You try 2x SSGS in NVidia Inspector (or more, but x4 or 8 can have FPS hit). Its a good option for this and FSX problems with AA.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

John, i have to say, the depth of view you have accomplished in this particular screenshot is incredible ! Could almost be 3D ! Well done, sir !

Cheers,
    Jan

Didn't quite escape.
    I'm in the wrong country to even look at this one right now, but it seems, at least, that C-46s were never actually stationed in the UK prior to the end of the war? I know one of the 9th Air Force TC squadrons used them, but that seems to have been based in Italy, before moving to an ALG in newly occupied France, for casualty evacuation duties.

Does anyone know any better?

Look forward to playing with this when I get chance and finances to do so...

Ian P.

I say it with a heavy heart, as I would looking forward to this release, but this plane is a bit of a mess. Problems I have found:

• no functional interior lighting -- the rheostat knobs are there but they don't do anything
    • the warning lights are always on -- stall, engine fire, marker beacon, gear light are always illuminated
    • Engine 1 would never start under the described procedure in the manual while Engine 2 starts first try
    • civilian VC has a panel that floats one foot away from the wall it's supposed to be attached
    • the manual is very bare bones -- it does not even provide a recommended power setting for cruise
    • after finding the recommend cruise power settings in the actual manual, the plane cruises about 30 knots too fast -- at speeds comparable to the L-049
    • the landing light would extend but not illuminate sometimes
    • the vertical speed indicator in the military VC would not measure the actual rate of descent correctly -- 500 FPM was actually 1000 FPM
    • overstressing the engines is inconsequential -- CHT temperatures barely budge above 100 deg C when going 55" MP, 2500 RPM, and 240 KIAS

Now all of this can be fixed, but for $40 I expected a plane that at least had parity with the Manfred Jahn C-47.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    I'm in the wrong country to even look at this one right now, but it seems, at least, that C-46s were never actually stationed in the UK prior to the end of the war? I know one of the 9th Air Force TC squadrons used them, but that seems to have been based in Italy, before moving to an ALG in newly occupied France, for casualty evacuation duties.

Does anyone know any better?
    In the case of the 313th Troop Carrier Group, C-46's began arriving at Folkingham, England around February 1945 to replace their C-47's and then the Group later moved to Acheit Le Grand, France prior to Operation Varsity. The 313th C-46's were used in Operation Varsity, with the Group's four squadrons totaling 72 C-46's in all. The currently airworthy/flying Brazilian C-46 I provided the sales link to at the top of this page is one of those C-46's that were used in Operation Varsity, as is also the static C-46 on display at the Castle Air Museum in California. The story about the 313th TCG combat vet survivor C-46 at the Castle Air Museum can be read here: http://www.airbornetroopcarrier.com/c-4644-77575.html

A few 313th TCG photos taken in early/spring 1945.

This photo was certainly taken at Folkingham, England, upon the delivery of the new C-46's:

Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 11th, 2017 at 07:45.

Some more photos from the 313th Troop Carrier Group (different Squadron than the photos in my previous post - note the close proximity among all of the serial numbers).

C-46's belonging to the 314th Troop Carrier Group, photographed at Barkston Heath Airfield, England in 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorMoser View Post
    ...but for $40 I expected a plane that at least had parity with the Manfred Jahn C-47.
    To be honest, remember than Manfred's C-47 wasn't perfect too from the first day. AH will fix I think many of noticed bugs like always. It's normal in our time (unfortunately) so here a reason than I will wait a little after 1-2 patches .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

even with panel and gauge lights on when you hit a shade or the sun is behind you the VC is unreadable

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    She looks great. How does she fly?
    It's a gentleman's airplane, requires a fair amount of rudder to turn. Can handle a fairly steep bank, though. Just remember, lots of rudder.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorMoser View Post
    I say it with a heavy heart, as I would looking forward to this release, but this plane is a bit of a mess. Problems I have found:

• no functional interior lighting -- the rheostat knobs are there but they don't do anything
    • the warning lights are always on -- stall, engine fire, marker beacon, gear light are always illuminated
    • Engine 1 would never start under the described procedure in the manual while Engine 2 starts first try
    • civilian VC has a panel that floats one foot away from the wall it's supposed to be attached
    • the manual is very bare bones -- it does not even provide a recommended power setting for cruise
    • after finding the recommend cruise power settings in the actual manual, the plane cruises about 30 knots too fast -- at speeds comparable to the L-049
    • the landing light would extend but not illuminate sometimes
    • the vertical speed indicator in the military VC would not measure the actual rate of descent correctly -- 500 FPM was actually 1000 FPM
    • overstressing the engines is inconsequential -- CHT temperatures barely budge above 100 deg C when going 55" MP, 2500 RPM, and 240 KIAS

Now all of this can be fixed, but for $40 I expected a plane that at least had parity with the Manfred Jahn C-47.
    Glad you found the same glitches I did. Made several tries at starting No. 1 by the book finally got feddup and went to ctrl+e and away we went. I was running 30/20 on my MAP/RPM and was getting almost 200 mph, at 8500 ft and no load in the aircraft out of the old bird. Left RPM at about 2000/2100, MAP at 27/28 inches to get bird back to around 175-180 MPH.

The old CalClassic C-46 had a distressing habit in FS9 of overheating at the drop of a hat during taxi. In this rendition there isn't any problem at all with overheating. Ground handling using just diff brakes and power works pretty good to get one around an airport.

...the more I read, the more I believe I will wait for a SP (or 2) before purchasing.... she does look good and I am sure Just Planes and AH will have her sorted in no time. Top notch people at both organizations.

Best- C

I had some trouble getting the right engine manually started early on too, but once I made sure I actually had fuel pressure (as indicated by the fuel pressure gauge, after playing around with the fuel selectors), I haven't had such issues and I can get either engine started manually - of course making sure the mixture levers are rich, that the fuel booster pumps are on, and that the primer switch is on (per engine) during the use of the starter/mesh switches.

Screenshot I took that I liked of the military cockpit, waiting at the entrance to the big hangar at Saginaw Intl.

It's funny how we all have different observations with the same aircraft.

My flights are typically low altitude and short. I just want to get up, fly and get a feel for the aircraft and its instruments. So far most of my flights are with the military version as I work through all the different textures.

When I first load the flight, the exterior lights are on. After I land, I can shut off all the lights with the overhead switches but they don't seem consistent in what controls what. I agree with the issue on the VC night lighting. I'm tempted to add my own vclighting, but want to wait and see what JF does.

My biggest issue is the inability to change the Com1 or Nav1 with the overhead panel. It hasn't been reported here, but there is some discussion on the JF form. I had to edit the [radios] section to get them to work.

The other item noted was the artificial horizon. I can barely see it.

Other than that I'm still enjoying it while I wait for JF to come out with a patch or update.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I concur with everyone else's observations about several issues with the C-46. I still like it, and think it has potential that will hopefully be fulfilled after the inevitable first patch or two.

Engine 1 would never start under the described procedure in the manual while Engine 2 starts first try
    I'm having problems with starting either engine. I've tried the manual checklists as well as several different procedures and variations of the mixture/mags/prime/start/mesh pattern, in addition to trying variations of front/center/rear tanks (supposed to start on front tanks IRL, I think), but cannot seem to get a consistent start with either engine. Ctrl+E doesn't even work reliably for me. Could be something on my setup, but I haven't narrowed it down yet. Confusing, as I haven't encountered this issue with any other plane in my hangar.

the manual is very bare bones -- it does not even provide a recommended power setting for cruise
    Here are the cruise figures for the Calclassic model, which should be in the ballpark. For the autorich/autolean functions, you could use Bjoern's excellent automixture gauge.

CRUISE:
    Max - 32"/2100rpm AUTO LEAN
    Econ - 30"/2000rpm AUTO LEAN
    Long Range - 28"/2050rpm AUTO LEAN
    -Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0