Upcoming Lockheed Vega 5 for FSX and P3D - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Lockheed Vega 5 for FSX and P3D

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    If you still need Alpha Testers I am available.

Always loved this old bird.

Jimmy Doolittle had a short story in "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again" about how he bent one of these things belonging to Shell Oil. Cargo overload, fortunately his family was not in the aircraft with him.

I am really loving this project, Vitus, and the video was fantastic as well. The animations and features are brilliant, and I really love that virtual cockpit and cabin (the new window frames look excellent!).

This is a definite must-have for me!
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Stunningly Beautiful... Can't wait to Fly your wonderful representation of the Famous Vega!!

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​I'm also up for some testing for you.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Thanks a lot guys! I'm glad you like what you see. Spread the word!

I watched the most recent video.....VERY impressive.

This is going to be one of those "Must Have"s.

Great job so far Wing42
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Wow the amount of details is impressive, you're a perfectionist and it's definitively a must have!

All the best for completing your awesome work

Cheers

Pat
    DCS 2.5 - P3D V3&V4 - XPlane11 - Il BoX - Il46 Sturmovik - Windows 10 64 bit, Intel core i7-4720HQ, CPU 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 980M.

Here's a look at the ground crew interface and payload manager:

The Vega is currently being tested. There's still a few things I want to incorporate in the Early-Access, so be patient. I am currently working on the flight model to get it up to specs. After that I get back to the Prepar3D conversion and that should be it for the first release. Fingers crossed....

Looks great!
    I'm not usually a big fan of the Vega but, this has certainly captured my interest!
    To the point I may attempt to buy in for beta testing or early access, if either options become available!
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

I want to pick your brains for a second if I may. One reference I used for modeling the cockpit of the Vega was the 3d view over at the Smithsonian:
    https://airandspace.si.edu/explore-a...A19360030000_1

One thing you'll notice when looking at the engine controls on the left is a lever to control the supercharger. I included that in my current model as well:

And while this would certainly make the simulation more interesting, the more I think about it the more I wonder if this was an option that was actually used in the late 5Cs. The cockpit in the Smithsonian is that of the Winnie Mae that Wiley Post used to climb to staggering 55,000 ft. And of course at this altitude he needed to make some heavy modifications to the engine to pump enough air into the manifold.
    On the other hand, a regular Vega would probably be operated at a maximum of 8,000 ft for passenger comfort. And my feeling is that for you won't need an additional 2-speed supercharger to operate in this altitude, especially since the R-1340 already comes equipped with a 1:10 step-up supercharger.

What do you think?

Do we have to choose only one?

But seriously releasing two different versions would probably be too much work. While it might be interesting to try to reproduce Post's altitude feat, its something I would at most once. If this was a one of customization just for this one attempt by Willie I probably would not include it. But if it was a standard option then include it.

I found this picture of the cockpit of Amelia Earhart Vega, not sure it shows that same lever or not.

Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Do we have to choose only one?
    No. You only suggest, I choose

Seriously though, I'd love to include multiple variations of the aircraft! It is however a matter of time management and resources. My priority is to get the passenger version of the 5C done first, after that we can think of expanding the collection to the special editions like Wiley Posts "Winnie Mae" or Earharts "little red bus". I'd love to see both in the sim, but it would require a lot of additional time and money, so I can't promise it at the moment.

I always find that with these special, historical versions of aircraft in the sim comes a problem: versatility. Take the Winnie Mae, modified for high altitude: Once you done a flight like that you probably won't fly her for a looong time. On the other hand multiple versions of the passenger variant invite you to fly different scenarios every time. That's the reason why I personally never bought a Hughes H-1, or the X-15 when it came out, even though I am extremely curious to try them out. I am sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I think that the levers in Earharts cockpit are: throttle, mixture and choke. No supercharger there...

The FS9 Vega was the first plane that really caught my imagination and dragged me into serious flight simming. I'm looking forward to repeat Earhart's Mexico flight from 1935 with this beauty and try the Sperry Gyropilot prototype. Definitely a buy!

Best Christian

Moin Christian,

no Sperry, I'm afraid.

It'll be a full hands-on flight, just like in Earharts aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Vitus View Post
    Moin Christian,

no Sperry, I'm afraid.
    It'll be a full hands-on flight, just like in Earharts aircraft
    So here is the take away I get on that, Willy Post's Vega "Winnie Mae" had a Sperry Autopilot, it also had the super charger, I would suggest the two of them go together. Either both or neither.

He had the Sperry installed when he did his second RTW trip, which was before his high altitude flights.
    Joe Cusick

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    So here is the take away I get on that, Willy Post's Vega "Winnie Mae" had a Sperry Autopilot, it also had the super charger, I would suggest the two of them go together. Either both or neither.

He had the Sperry installed when he did his second RTW trip, which was before his high altitude flights.
    As for the Sperry I can confirm what you wrote. He was the first to use a "robotic pilot" for long-haul flights like this and the Sperry allowed him to even beat his previous time.

With the supercharger... I really can't say. The only thing I got from Lockheed of that time is an old brochure like document that praises the Vega. But unfortunately it's for the Vega 1 with its Whirlwind engine. Meh.

I did a little research and found this on a page from the Smithsonian Museum.

https://timeandnavigation.si.edu/nav...rry/winnie-mae

The key paragraph is this:

Post hoped that by equipping the plane with an engine supercharger and jettisonable landing gear, and himself with a pressure suit, he could cruise for long distances at high altitude in the jetstream.
    This indicates that the supercharger was a custom modification and not a standard feature.
    Joe Cusick

Aaaaah! Thanks for the information! Great find!

Just a side note.

There's a great book out called "Forgotten Eagle" about the life of Wiley Post. Sections cover his attempt at high altitude research including changes made to Winnie Mae.

The book is by Bryan B. Sterling & Frances N. Sterling.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Thanks for the tip. I put it in my shopping cart. Unfortunately it'll take a month until it gets here.

Btw. any idea where Post's radio antenna was mounted? It's quite big - around 60 cm x 60 cm and needed to be turned manually for the direction finding. I didn't find any picture of the Winnie Mae with the antenna mounted anywhere visibly. I assume it was dangling somewhere in the cabin - not really an issue since the plane was made of wood. But maybe some of you know better? I'm talking about this thing: https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...ass-winnie-mae

This is just speculation on my part, Could that square antenna have been installed inside the aircraft? from the way its built it looks like it something that would rotate but would be torn apart if in the air stream outside. I remember seeing plenty of WW2 aircraft with there round directional finders inside the canopy of the AC.
    Joe Cusick

Yes, that's what I thought as well. It's way to flimsy to resist 130mph of airflow. Unfortunately I couldn't find any picture or document that would tell me where it was located. The cockpit itself is way to cramped, so it must be in the back...

But back to the engine controls. Looking closely at the few pictures I've got of Earhart's plane I noticed something that I didn't see before: there is actually 4 control levers mounted on that thing. And now I'm really confused what the fourth one could possible be.

A little bit of the markings can be made out. The top lever is labeled "THROTTLE" with the settings open and closed. On the bottom is the mixture ("rich"/"lean"). The other lever on the bottom side has an "on" and an "off position. Could be the carburetor heat or a choke control. I can't make out the label of the second lever on the top. The full back position is marked "RET.", I can't read the full forward position. The lever itself has a big "S" painted on, I saw that in a different picture.

And if you check out the similar Lockheed Sirius, you'll find the same four controls:
    https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/11294pjpg

And it's definitely not the propeller pitch control, because that thing is on the dashboard, right side.

Any clue?

that does look like its in the right place for a supercharger control, but RET usually means "retract[-ed]" or "retard" (as in slow[-er], and not mentally, I'm not that mean) mayhaps its for a cooling flap of some kind of system that begins in "S?"
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Members who have read this thread: 1