Changing the map to an H2S?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing the map to an H2S?

Changing the map to an H2S?

Has anyone thought about using the map as an H2S system instead of the TI which Frosty especially worked on? The reason I ask is that of course TI doesn't illuminate anything but the "radar" contacts; IE individual buildings, etc. I'm assuming if we were able to mess with the TI we might be able to with the map??

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

For a start, where are the map files? Or what file(s) is the map determined?

Of course I don't mean the 3 different altitude maps but the moving map when one presses "m" in the game. So far can't see anything looking through the files.

Aren't those the same thing? Anyways, I'm not sure I understand your idea?

Well I suppose the underlying map(s) is/are the same. What I mean is to use the in game (press 'm') map as a substitute for an H2S scope. I wonder if one remade the map colours they would show up 2 tones; as in an H2S. I note zooming in on the low alt map that it doesn't look quite the same as the in game map? I suppose One thing I could do is just change the 3 maps and see what happens to the in game map?? The problem is I don't quite know how the in game map is worked.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1137629

http://www.cairdpublications.com/scr...rmbitbombs.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=H2s+...&bih=986&dpr=1

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi James,

the image used by the game to draw the map background for the inflight map is: ingamebrief.bmp
    found in Uires/help folder.

you could change the image to look like a H2S scope, hut not sure how to change the map layout from square to round to superimpose over the top of the image.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that. It seems to be just the frame of the map and not the actual map which I assume is still taken from ther "maps" folder in the respective uires folder. Interesting to see what would happen though if changed the frame shape as well as the map colours!

Hi James,

yep the map is superimposed over the top of the image. you can change the shape of the backing board you need to adjust the values in the relevent .xml file in the dialogs folder of the main game directory. cant recall off hand the name of the dialog file to edit.

You could give the map images a greenish colour and make the background image look like a H2S screen. I did something similar for OFF to make it look like a WWI map board etc.

regards Rob.

Hi Rob!

Making progress in ideas anyway. Have you got your WOFF stuff? I'll have a look for the dialog xml.
    Cheers

James

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Have you got your WOFF stuff?
    Hi James,

Unfortunately I dropped my main back up external hard drive late last year and lost pretty much all the CFS3 work I have ever done, ETO, OFF, MAW, Rising Sun etc etc. managed to get a little back with a company trying to do a restore from the main center disk of the drive, but they couldnt get much.

So I don't have my notes or development files for the OFF work any more.

the dialog file controls the placement on the screen (X,Y co-ords) and the size of the image. you can use pure black to cut out parts of the image you dont want, the game renders black as invisible in game, that would be one way to change the shape of the board.

regards Rob.

edit. these are the finished files from OFF, you can see the black that is not visible in game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qc_base.bmp   enemyaircraft.bmp   ingamebriefmap.jpg  

Thanks Rob. Something to play around with.

Maybe dlgingamebriefmap.xml ?

Back to this. Based on some pictures of H2S, such as the one below, which is in fact the clearest

Just to start off, I took the 3 map pics and basically made them just black (for water) and white (for land). Not an easy job, and got something like this as displayed when I used the map in flight, or in this case the mb programme.

First the Wash similar to above

then Bremen

and Hamburg

Now it would be nice if the map in game could be made to look more like an H2S screen; I can overlay a semi transparent greenish layer to the maps but to make the surrounding "frame" or H2S looking screen surround is probably beyond me. Anyway this looks like a start.

I believe you can edit dlgingamebriefmap.xml to have the map sitting on top of any background bitmap file you'd like to create for it.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

If one could take something like this (adjusted from Joost's) for the ingamebriefmap.bmp and maybe add a center ring and a sweep line, with the maps, that might work. When I tried the map was super imposed on top of the fame??

Okay, now I understand that you want to create an overlay with transparent sections. I suspect the definition of the elements you can access through the dialog xml files is hard coded, so adding a new feature might be problematic, unless you can figure out an already existing one to reuse for this. I wonder how the aircraft icon at the center of the map is being applied?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I think I have to make the centre of the ingamebriefmap.bmp maybe the same color as in the original and then I can apply a semi transparent green shading over the maps; the latter has worked in a trial I did before. I may also have to try and make the maps circular if possible. Other than that the frame would have to be remade rectangular more like the original ingamebriefmap.bmp.

The aircraft icon is a hangover from the original. I will have to find out how to eliminate that; or make that the "ring for the H2S, as there needs to be some way to indicate the (moving) origin of the H2S radar; namely where the aircraft is.

According to Rob I should be able to black out the right hand part which he says would make it invisible in the game; something like this

OK this is sort of a better prototype but have to change some xml files which seems difficult. Also greens aren't showing up in the gam the same as on paint.net (gimp?).

If I remember correctly from when I did the Night Fighter / SCR-720 tactical displays and the gunsight reticles, CFS3 does an additive blend operation when it combines the overlay with the base color making the colors lighter. In Photoshop you would do a "multiply" adjustment of the layer with itself at 50% transparency to make the starting green darker, so that it looks like what you actually want in game when the "screen" operation happens.

Also you can change the Caption text and position in dlgingamebriefmap.xml so it says something like HS2 Scope instead of briefing.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I'll give your suggestions a go on paint.net or gimp. I need to get rid of that white rectangle some how as well.

Blog Entries
    http://www.apss.org.uk/projects/APSS.../H2S/index.htm

You've no doubt seen this but there's good images of an H2S screen here James.

Keep at it, it's looking good!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

The white rectangle is from this line in the dialog xml

<EditBox ID="edtDescription" X="517" Y="51" Width="247" Height="441" ReadOnly="true" Image="common_screens/dropbox.bmp[1]" FontName="textfontflt" Textcolor="#000000,#000000,#000000"/>

I tried just deleting this line from the script, but that causes a CFS3 error. Again, it seems that much of how these dialogs are referenced by the game is hard coded, so you can't stray too far from what's there now.

I also tried changing the line sequence, and repositioning it in the hope of having it drawn first and then hidden behind the map. It didn't crash, but it didn't hide it either.

You can't just make the EditBox a 1 x 1 pixel spot to hide it either, because it has a default minimum size to display the mission text in, and if it's smaller than that the program adds scroll arrows.

What does work is to create a new 16 bit file dropboxblack.bmp that is solid black without the 1 pixel wide grey border in dropbox.bmp and change the EditBox line to use that.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I checked the limits for the map files, and they can be made quite large (I tried up to 7504 x 7376) to provide better feature resolution (285 m/pixel). They do need to be saved as 16 bit or index color bitmaps or you get a color shift.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

@ Clive. Do you think the combined map and H2S was actual or that iss a demo? Not that I thinl we could do both anyway.

@Major
    I'll look at your xml suggestions. Meanwhile re
    "CFS3 does an additive blend operation when it combines the overlay with the base color making the colors lighter. In Photoshop you would do a "multiply" adjustment of the layer with itself at 50% transparency to make the starting green darker, so that it looks like what you actually want in game when the "screen" operation happens."
    Not entirely sure til I try what you mean but can it be done either with paint.net or Gimp?

and

"I checked the limits for the map files, and they can be made quite large (I tried up to 7504 x 7376) to provide better feature resolution (285 m/pixel). They do need to be saved as 16 bit or index color bitmaps or you get a color shift."

Do you mean I should first resize them before changing making them black and white, and then reduce them to 16 bit colors? The green layer anyway is separate and then merged down. Should this be the one using " 16 bit or index color bitmaps"?

Blog Entries
    Clive. Do you think the combined map and H2S was actual or that iss a demo? Not that I thinl we could do both anyway.
    looks possibly like a repro. Interesting that the built up areas are brighter than rural and with water being black. The harder the ground the better the reflections I suppose.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Members who have read this thread: 0