MV DHC-2 Update AND Expansion Pack RELEASED
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MV DHC-2 Update AND Expansion Pack RELEASED

MV DHC-2 Update AND Expansion Pack RELEASED

Installing as I write, very hopeful the FDE has been worked on.... It would make me very happy to have a psuedo GA replacement for my Annuschka in v4.... fingers 'xed!

She looks GOOD with her STOL kit on.....

Off to see how she FLIES.....

Best- C

This is FANTASTIC news!!! Now repainting of the Beaver can finally begin in earnest... except that the new paintkit is "Temporarily Unavailable"!

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

The old paintkit had to be pulled from the product page; as soon as the new one finds a home on the server the link will be back!
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Installing as I write, very hopeful the FDE has been worked on.... It would make me very happy to have a psuedo GA replacement for my Annuschka in v4.... fingers 'xed!

Best- C
    LOL, You are really fast man to check this release .

Yes, this is new STOL version (the main difference is on front of wings):

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Best- C
    Carl,

Thanks for the heads up! I won't be able to try her until later tonight, so be sure to update us with your thoughts!

I'm absolutely LOVING this update!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

STOL+Thundra+sharp cover

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

So, are there any noticeable changes to the FDE? I just bought the pack as well, but won't be able to play with it until Sunday at the earliest...

Andrew Entwistle
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Quote Originally Posted by alehead View Post
    So, are there any noticeable changes to the FDE? I just bought the pack as well, but won't be able to play with it until Sunday at the earliest...

Andrew Entwistle
    Hey Look! A pointy spinner!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Standard wheel + STOL (cargo).

Best- C
    Cavaricooper, I've seen your many posts about the FDE and your comparison with the An-2. I also have the Annoushka and indeed it is amazing. However, it is a biplane, even if a huge one. The Beaver is a more solid flying aeroplane having full span flaps that are used even for cruising. Do not expect to get the same "feel" flying the Beaver as with the Antonov. I have never flown a real Beaver, my only real taildragger experience is the SuperCub, and the MV Beaver feels like a heavy Cub. Tom, on the other side, the FDE developer, has huge numbers of hours on all types of Beavers as well as making FDEs so I tend to trust him. What may not feel right to someone does not mean it is not correct.

Several queries about the FDE, with no (or non) responses. Is this a case of "if you can't say anything nice..."? ;-)

I'll give MV not quite a swing and a miss at this update... but maybe a swing and a double. There's slight improvement, but the problem is not solved.

The problem being the behavior of the tail on the ground, and its response to elevator inputs. I've never flown a Beaver either, but I've flown similar sized taildraggers, and things still don't seem quite right. This is further supported by video evidence and what I see on a regular basis. Even in a light airplane with a full forward cg and full down elevator held throughout the takeoff roll, the Milviz Beaver won't lift her tail until around 45mph - the point at which she's ready to fly anyway. And it comes up slooooowly then. I've been linking the same video as an example in all these discussions, so I'll show a different one this time - the popular Harrison Ford film "Just Another Pilot". Watch the takeoff at around 1:25. If anyone can replicate that performance of the tail aggressively popping off the ground just a couple seconds into the roll, I'd love to know how:
    https://youtu.be/QsgiEubacT0

The problem seems to me to remain the same - propwash is not modeled. The head honcho over on the MV forums scoffed at me for pointing out that other developers have been able to model this accurately, noting "we're not doing accusim here for this price". Considering the base price of this plane plus the expansion puts it well into accusimmed territory, I had higher hopes for the FDE tweaks, personally.

It does feel to me that there's been some improvement. This is all subjective, but I do feel the tail comes up slightly better than before on takeoff, and I'm confident it's easier to hold the tail up after a wheel landing. So clearly MV listened and responded and I commend them for that. I just don't think they're *quite* there yet.

Haven't played with the add on models yet, though I expect I'll pick that package up at some point. This certainly remains one of the best bush planes currently available for fsx/p3d.

YMMV but that's my take. I'm interested to hear other's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by stearmandriver View Post
    The problem seems to me to remain the same - propwash is not modeled. The head honcho over on the MV forums scoffed at me for pointing out that other developers have been able to model this accurately, noting "we're not doing accusim here for this price". Considering the base price of this plane plus the expansion puts it well into accusimmed territory, I had higher hopes for the FDE tweaks, personally.
    You definitely don't need acccusim for this as FSX does model propwash. E.g. the updated Flight Replicas Super Cub can do brake stand take-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Cavaricooper, I've seen your many posts about the FDE and your comparison with the An-2. I also have the Annoushka and indeed it is amazing. However, it is a biplane, even if a huge one. The Beaver is a more solid flying aeroplane having full span flaps that are used even for cruising. Do not expect to get the same "feel" flying the Beaver as with the Antonov. I have never flown a real Beaver, my only real taildragger experience is the SuperCub, and the MV Beaver feels like a heavy Cub. Tom, on the other side, the FDE developer, has huge numbers of hours on all types of Beavers as well as making FDEs so I tend to trust him. What may not feel right to someone does not mean it is not correct.

+1 2 completely different aircraft, they may have been designed for the same purpose however its like trying to compare a Swordfish to a Corsair or even a Hellcat

@Dimus- Absolutely agree!

I am NOT looking for similar flight characteristics. I AM LOOKING for the transmittal of the feel of flight and similar SATISFACTION after spending a couple of hours in the VC. Like you, I have never flown the Beaver, but I have flown (and owned) many different aircraft (mostly tail-draggers) and know what I am looking for.... I am hoping to experience the sensation of flight once more, albeit from a desk. I did not comment further on the FDE, as I fully appreciate all the work that goes on behind an upgrade, on what is a beautiful aircraft indeed. What I want is very personal, and since leaving v3 and the Annuschka behind.... I continue my search. BTW- your Locher work looks superb!

@ALL-
    If the FR Super Cub works in Prepar3d v4 please do let me know asap, I so miss my low and slow flightings. Bernt's FDEs are amongst the very best, and I would love something that he worked on.....

Now- Back to the thread... the Beaver update...

Best- Carl

Agree with you fully on the FR SuperCub and Bernt's FDE. I have not yet tried it in V4.

Locher is expected in September after my return. Thanks for the kind words! The STOL Beaver would be great for it although I don't think any Beavers fly in the area.

If You didnt see, the new video about this extension:

In Tongass Fjords area of FSAddon (P3Dv4).
    Natural environment of Beavers!

STOL+cargo.

Straight floats and straight floats STOL (liveries haven't been uploaded yet).

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk18 View Post
    Straight floats and straight floats STOL (liveries haven't been uploaded yet).
    Cant wait btw. check the alpha channels, maybe in this angle but no any shiny :>.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Cant wait btw. check the alpha channels, maybe in this angle but no any shiny :>.
    There is a lot of shine on these models (I adjusted the alphas early in the development processes). However for some reasons, the screenshots does not show so much shine.

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

She looks great!

Best- C
    Btw. I hope than Your thoughts about FM in DHC are finished and now is ok. Trust me, the An-2 (which I drove myself in real life near 1 hour in the air) has really special FM (and its a really light plane for his engine). Here it was interesting my old test (from March this year) for beta (in the final version this was fixed also but in this time was near ok in the simulator, standad version of DHC-2).

Situation: 6kts front wind, 40% of fuel, pilot only, take off flaps, trim default. The airstrip has 3900 ft.
    Model of DHC-2 starts to climb near 1100 ft (in RL at 1000 must be at 50 feets).

Edit:
    with 4 passengers and 100% fuel:

Something like 1300 ft.

Those pictures shows the take off way w
    hich answered the result of near the real plane (and as I wrote in the final version it was a little tuned up), so do not worry about that ; ). Regards.

One of the things I am anxious about when aircraft like this are released is that folks see videos, hear tales of performance but do not want to put time in the aircraft to become proficient, they want the Bob Hoover routine without the experience and practice so to speak. When ever you talk bush planes, many want Super Cub performance no matter the aircraft size and role the aircraft actually performs. To be honest I was apprehensive that MV would bow to pressure from the casual instant experts and dumb down the flight model. The Iris C-27J Spartan comes to mind where many if not most wanted to be doing the Paris Airshow routine after 30 minutes no matter what the weight of the aircraft was and were more than willing to sacrifice realism in areas where the military aircraft would be used every day in an operational squadron. I think that made getting it sorted a much more drawn out process.
    I am not referring to any one here but just in general. I am most impressed with the attention and experience involved in this project.

Over the Tongass Fjords again.

STOL, ski, cargo.

Members who have read this thread: 0