Editing an XML file

Thread: Editing an XML file

Editing an XML file

Hi all
    My computer literacy (or lack of) is showing again. I'm trying to modify an xml file which is part of a voice V-speed add-on I would like to add to one of my aircraft. The speeds in the XMl are too low for a large jet and I would like to edit them. So far I can extract the info and edit with notepad but have been unable to return it to the original file.
    Suggestions appreciated.
    Warren

Right click on the xml file and choose edit from the drop down menu, that will open it in notepad.
    When you save it the original xml will be changed.

Don't forget to back it up somewhere first just in case.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I personally prefer NotePad++ for editing .XML files.
    I set them to NotePad++ as their default editor, so I can just double click them and they open in NotePad++. It will open the xml file in a format that makes them very editable and easy to read through for specifics, or search through with the Find feature, just like Notepad. You can edit to your heart's content, then hit save, and it will save it as an XML, or whatever it was when you opened it. Or, you can select Save As, and select from a huge list of file types. It's how I convert .txt, or whatever, to HTML files so they can be used in FSX on the Kneeboard as a Checklist page, or as a Reference page. Just open the .txt file, then click Save As and choose HTM, and bingo, brand new Checklist file for FSX
    And you will still have the original .txt file as well. Very handy.

It's a freeware, readily available. Just Google, or Bing, NotePad++ and you will get very easily recognizable download sites. Support sites for questions, too. It's super easy to install, and you can set it to open certain file types without having to set them individually.

If you can't tell, I really like it
    Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Hi folks
    Thanks for the help so far. When I right click the XML file I am only given 2 options - extract or copy. If I then extract to the documents folder I can edit the file in notepad but so far am unable to transfer the modified file back into the original folder - which in my case is a gauge folder. I am given a red symbol which I interpret to be an indicator that the file is not or cannot be moved. I am in P3D v3.4 with Windows 10.
    I appreciate everything.
    Warren

Warren , I see what you are trying to do , you are opening a .cab file and changing the .xml inside it , you cannot do that , you would need to unzip the cab file then inside find the .xml and edit it a said. then it will save . You may want to rezip the file to a .cab , for this there are guides in the web for this , or leave it as a folder and will be used the same ..(a .cab file is more efficient).
    see this

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...fouscTXZ0HqvJQ

Jorge

Jorge and all
    Thank you! I was able to edit and re-install the gauge. The sppeds are now close to correct for a dc-8-63. I appreciate the help very much.
    Warren

Members who have read this thread: 0