WD Bloch 210 revised by UncleTgt!

Thread: WD Bloch 210 revised by UncleTgt!

Icon22 WD Bloch 210 revised by UncleTgt!

Bismark 13's Bloch 210 - the airfile needs a lot of work still

Icon22 Reply...

John,

Thank you for your work on this!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Bismark 13's Bloch 210 - the airfile needs a lot of work still
    Looking forward to it's arrival!

Should be fun!

Thanks UT!

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

The demise of a Romanian Bloch 210, circa October 1941. Still struggling to get an accurate airfile for this bird - if I dial in the speed, ceiling & range using "guns only" payload, I find it will really struggle to lift it's quoted bomb load with anything approaching full fuel...

If I beef up the power, it will easily outstrip quoted performance. Still searching for that sweet spot...

Your ticket is getting more out of the wings. Tweak the lift due to AoA rate in 1101 and main wing area, chord and angle of incidence in 1204.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Icon22 WD Bloch 210 revised by UncleTgt!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - France

Description: WD Bloch 210 for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a revamp of William Dicken's Bloch 210 for CFS2.

The pack includes a brand new airfile, plus WIN 7 safe panels. The sounds are Lawdogs Gnome-Rhone sounds configured for a twin-engine installation. The dp uses Kelti exhaust effects, Alain Bretons French bombs & Shessi's Leaflets. The panel includes a basic bombsight view developed from the Alphasim Bombsight. Use the GPS icon in the 2D panel view to accesss, & F4 to return to flying views afterwards. It is uploaded as a complete aircraft for ease of installation to CFS2.

The textures included are: E375 "4" of GB II/21 circa December 1939.

L210 "14" of GB II/23 circa May 1940.

a/c nr "6" of 82nd Escadrille, Romanian Airforce circa October 1941

You will find you struggle to climb with the max bomb load & a full fuel load.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move / copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS2 install.

Thanks to: Bismark 13 for the original Bloch 210.

Kelticheart for his exhaust effects & prop bitmaps.

Alain Breton for the French bombs.

Shessi for developing the leaflet weapon.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions.

UncleTgt,

MAR 2019

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit WD Bloch 210 revised UT.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Reply...

John,

Thank you very much for doing this. I didn't realize this aircraft was going to be so challenging to work on, but I will certainly use it in the Battle of France.
    "Rami"

Thanks Uncle, looks like she's been improved in all departments!

Thank you for your great work UT!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Hi UncleTGT
    As usual, your work is really, really good.
    Thanks for spending so much time sorting this superb model out.
    Thanks also to Bismark13 for the original work.

Cheers
    Stuart

Nice work UT...

When you get the opportunity, check this out and tell me what you think. I tweaked the wings, horizontal stabs and flap settings in the air file a bit. Added 3 props to the propeller section in the cfg and bumped the parasite drag to 1.2 to keep the top speed within specs.

With max loadout, give her 20% flaps and two clicks of takeoff trim with park brakes. Go to full power and release brakes. Roll out with rotation at 60 mph, wheels up at 90 mph. Build your airspeed to 100+ before retracting flaps to 10%, then fully retract between 115 and 120 mph. From there she'll build airspeed fittingly if you maintain no greater than 10 degrees positive pitch through the transition to cruise altitude.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Icon22

While we're tweaking I did the following:

1. Edited the cfg file to include aircraft title entries for all three textures:

//[fltsim.0]
    title=Bloch MB.210 IIGB21 DEC39
    sim=B210
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=IIGB21_DEC39
    prop_anim_ratio=1.08

//[fltsim.0]
    title=Bloch MB.210 IIGB23 MAY40
    sim=B210
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=IIGB23_MAY40
    prop_anim_ratio=1.08

//[fltsim.0]
    title=Bloch MB.210 82ROM OCT41
    sim=B210
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=82ROM_OCT41
    prop_anim_ratio=1.08

2. Copied and renamed the full-blown WD-Bloch-210 panel and sound folders UT_WD_B210_panel and UT_WD_B210_sound and moved them into my Aircraft/Aircraft Panels and Aircraft/Aircraft Engine Sounds folders respectively and

3. Aliased the remaining panel.cfg and sound.cfg files accordingly- deleting everything from the AC's panel and sound sub-folders except the newly aliased panel.cfg and sound.cfg files. Then I

4. Made two copies of the aircraft folder and renamed the three resulting folders:

UT_WD_B210_82ROM-OCT41
    UT_WD_B210_IIGB21-DEC39
    UT_WD_B210_IIGB23-MAY40

5. Deleted the un-called-out texture folders from each of the AC folders- just for the sake of tidiness ;^) And finally

6. Deleted "//" from the ACs title entry in each aircraft's respective aircraft.cfg file.

These along with Bearcat241's tweaks to the air and cfg file tweaks are nice for users maybe planning to use the AC more for FF and QC and not so much in and future campaigns/missions.

Cheers,
    MR

PS One could also simply keep all three planes in the same folder by editing the aircraft.cfg title entries to read:

[fltsim.0]
    title=Bloch MB.210 IIGB21 DEC39
    sim=B210
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=IIGB21_DEC39
    prop_anim_ratio=1.08

[fltsim.1]
    title=Bloch MB.210 IIGB23 MAY40
    sim=B210
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=IIGB23_MAY40
    prop_anim_ratio=1.08

[fltsim.2]
    title=Bloch MB.210 82ROM OCT41
    sim=B210
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=82ROM_OCT41
    prop_anim_ratio=1.08

And skipping steps 2 -6 above.

Personally I prefer limiting my aircraft folders to 1 plane per folder.
    Last edited by MaskRider; April 2nd, 2019 at 00:08.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hiya BC241. Thanks very much for the tweaks, always interested in other interpretations & I'm sure they will be an improvement on my efforts.

For clarity, when I'm revising airfiles (particularly for bombers/targets) I'm always keeping an eye on how the AI performs, particularly in combat. This limits airfile & aircraft.cfg change options, so I like to stay as close to real world specs for airfile entries 505 (engine), 1204 (main wing).

I notice the AI perform best with section 1204 wing incidence set between 0 & 1 degree, irrespective of the real world data, so that's where I start. Everything else is pretty much trial & error.

Reply...

Bearcat,

I followed your instructions to the letter and they work beautifully. Do you mind if I include them as aircraft notes in the campaign package?
    "Rami"

Icon22

Yes, those change definitely seemed to make a difference. The first time I flew it, right out of the box, it seemed that she wanted to nose over on take-off going down the runway. This time with the new air file and changes to the ac.cfg file she was much more nicely behaved.
    Thanks guys!

MR

Last edited by MaskRider; April 2nd, 2019 at 08:16.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hey guys,

Thanks for the positive reviews on the files.

UncleTgt: I appreciate your perspective on flight modeling for AI performance. Give my interpretation a go in your test missions. I value your feedback.

Rami: Assuming that UT's (or anyone else's) AI testing checks out, i see no reason why we wouldn't want the instructions for players included in your packaging...feel free.

MaskRider: Love those screenies

Tres mas...

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the positive reviews on the files.

UncleTgt: I appreciate your perspective on flight modeling for AI performance. Give my interpretation a go in your test missions. I value your feedback.

Rami: Assuming that UT's (or anyone else's) AI testing checks out, i see no reason why we wouldn't want the instructions for players included in your packaging...feel free.

MaskRider: Love those screenies
    Hi BC241

Checked your mods out - they are great. Take off, cruise are much better now. Range & ceiling are OK, AI formation holding is good too.

AI in combat want to dogfight you like they are flying a fighter - they go vertical straightaway, even seen one loop the loop!

I tweaked section 1101 elevator effective control to tame that (zip attached), it didn't seem to affect handling otherwise. I'm adding your mods & my further tweak as options to the upload.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

You should be able to tame the AI's combat behavior in general by changing the category in your original DP. You have a category 5 (aircraft tactical bomber (A-20, Ju-88)), which makes for a more evasive animal when targeted by attackers. This aircraft was probably used historically more as a level bomber, given its performance specs and all. This is a category 2 (aircraft level bomber (B-24, He-111)). This should force them to hold their formation positions when attacked.

[MISC_DATA]
    unit_family=2
    category=5
    allegiance=17
    max_group_size=8
    min_speed=170
    cruise_speed=250
    max_speed=322
    min_alt=50
    cruise_alt=3493
    max_alt=5944
    entered_service=5/1/35