Thinking about moving from FSX to P3Dv4?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about moving from FSX to P3Dv4?

Blog Entries

Thinking about moving from FSX to P3Dv4?

There have been quite a few discussions about hardware requirements when moving from FSX to P3Dv4. The main topic has revolved around GPU performance and minimums needed to take advantage of 64bit.

I shot this video at conservative, mid slider settings in V4 using my overworked, and rather tired EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3gig card. LM requires minimum 2gig, with 8gig recommended for best performance. I think the video speaks for itself.
    For those members considering the move, and looking at their equipment, this might give you a visual frame of reference to gauge your decision.

The two sceneries are major heavy hitters, and built for 64bit DX11. Moving from one massive scenery to another would be a challenge in 32bit. No OOM's...ever in V4 and VAS stays well within the green.

Layer on the NVIDIA tweaks, weather, complex cameras, URP and other peripherals, I'm asking a ton from this aging card and getting very good performance across the board.

Reno/Tahoe International to NAS Fallon HD Scenery
    Last edited by gman5250; July 31st, 2017 at 08:47.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

exactly

Ive heard so many people state they're amazed in the increase in performance with their current system compared to FSX

the myth you need to upgrade is just a myth, its the exact opposite from what people encountered from fs2004 to FSX

98% developers are offering free updates and the list of compatible addons grows daily

yes there will always be FSX hardliners like there are today with fs2004

I recommend if your are pondering, try the $10 devs license for the month to install and see the difference first hand

Was a very slow mover from FS9 to FSX and as of yesterday I have clean working install of PD3 V4. Tremendous immersion and smoothness getting 70-80 fps as with 64 bit it uses - finally - all of your CPU and GFX card hardware resources. Lots to tweak and install . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

When I decided to move to V4 I read the requirements and though, "I need a new computer", so I ordered a new top of the line systems from dell to replace my now 5 year old mid range system. V4 was released before my new machine arrived so I installed it and fired it up and it ran much better than I expected. Base V4 ran better than V3 + ORBX. The old system was an i7-3720QM with a 2gb video card. It was a laptop so I could not upgrade the video, had I gotten top of the line video when I bought it I probably would have kept it, leason learned.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Would love to move over, but having to shoot for 100% native AI models and working around the compatibility issues of the Metroliner and Sky Simulations DC-9 and other models using old 32bit gauges is not going to be fun.

SOH-CM-2018
    Will the Academic License be sufficient for gaming as I know it with FSX, or do I need to look at Professional License?

FSX has reached its end and it is time to change flight sims. The benefit with P3D seems to be that most of the FSX add-ons will still work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaFi View Post
    Will the Academic License be sufficient for gaming as I know it with FSX, or do I need to look at Professional License?
    The license is the dreaded third rail when discussing P3D.

I subscribe to the logic that says the Academic license is for legitimate students. I opt for the Professional license, the conditions of which I have read, understood and believe I satisfy. I'll add that this is the first version of P3D that I will actually purchase, rather than subscribing on a month to month.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

FSX has reached its end and it is time to change flight sims. The benefit with P3D seems to be that most of the FSX add-ons will still work.
    As far as I can tell the only functional difference between academic and professional is the 'academic' watermark in the upper right corner of the screen. As gman said the topics of P3D licenses is a subject of strongly held beliefs. So the decision on which one to get is a personal one.

And for the record, I have Academic.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Would love to move over, but having to shoot for 100% native AI models and working around the compatibility issues of the Metroliner and Sky Simulations DC-9 and other models using old 32bit gauges is not going to be fun.
    100% agree with you here. P3DV4 is very enticing to noodle around in, but the lack of AI is keeping from firing it up more often, and instead relying on FSX. In a "modern" environment, lack of AI ERJ-135/140/145 (for just an example) is a buzz kill. Don't even talk about a "retro" environment, no AI B707, DC-8, or CV-880's not to mention lack of AI most every prop airliner from 40s-60s/70s, really means FSX will be "kicking". At least for awhile, at least for me.

Bill

I think most of us should be using the Professional version unless you qualify for Academic as given here ...

Undergraduate Student - Training, Instruction Simulation, Learning
    K-12 Student- Training, Instruction Simulation, Learning

Does it have updated navigation data (airports, beacons, frequencies etc) or is it all still from fsx era?

Does it have updated elevation and vector data?

Being a pilot in training qualifies as a student?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    Being a pilot in training qualifies as a student?
    I would hope so. But isn't a pilot always in training, there is always more to learn?

Also, don't dismiss FSW yet, 2 and a half months since release and 8 updates already, not including minor hot-fixes. True sky is awesome, ive never felt the sensation of being so lost and helpless in clouds before, try taking the super cub up in a rain storm and you'll understand. It's a game changer.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    I think most of us should be using the Professional version unless you qualify for Academic as given here ...

Undergraduate Student - Training, Instruction Simulation, Learning
    K-12 Student- Training, Instruction Simulation, Learning
    I think most of us are using the sim for personal usage/entertainment, so we're not allowed to buy the professional or academic licences anyways.

If your rig is as old as mine you'll need to upgrade: a DirectX 11 video card is a requirement to run V4.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I think most of us are using the sim for personal usage/entertainment, so we're not allowed to buy the professional or academic licences anyways.
    Ok, but what is the licence version you own?

JMC

The bottom line is that FSX was sold to LM on the basis that it is developed for training purposes only.
    FSX was also sold to Dovetail to be developed for entertainment purposes only.
    Neither is allowed to licence their product for the other's purpose.

This has been debated to death on most flight simulation based forums.
    There appear to be as many opinions as there are contributors
    For this reason, most of those forums no longer allow this debate to survive,
    as nothing new ever emerges.
    Regards,
    Nick

Members +
    [QUOTE=ncooper;1094650]The bottom line is that FSX was sold to LM on the basis that it is developed for training purposes only.
    FSX was also sold to Dovetail to be developed for entertainment purposes only.
    QUOTE]

Actually, it was NOT FSX that went to LM, but ESP. (yes, we know that it was based on FSX) the professional/commercial version of FSX.
    So, ESP went to LM for commercial/professional development, & FSX, being a gaming/entertainment product, went to Dovetail.

Subtle difference!

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    Regards,
    Nick

Please remember guys that P3D eula debates do not belong here, but on the P3D forums. Such debates invariably end in tears
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I'm surprised no one has said they go for the Developers Licence.. especially Gordon. I've not read the detail in the EULA but would have thought the Developers Licence would be perfect for someone developing for the sim. Maybe there's more to it than that?

ATB
    DaveB

SOH-CM-2018
    I apologize, I did not intend to start an debate on the the various versions of P3D.

The answer is one of those where you slap your head, because it is actually rather obvious.

No mate.. it's interesting to see which version folk have gone for. I think all the people I know who have it have the Academic licence. In fact I've not known anyone go for a different version though to be honest, it matters not one way or the other
    ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I'm surprised no one has said they go for the Developers Licence.. especially Gordon. I've not read the detail in the EULA but would have thought the Developers Licence would be perfect for someone developing for the sim. Maybe there's more to it than that?

ATB
    DaveB

Ahhhh...the pitfalls of language when discussing contract.

In my prior quote I stated that I opt for the Professional license. I actually meant that I would buy the Professional license, but failed to clarify the statement, thus leaving myself vulnerable to carefully constructed cross examination!!!

I should have been more concise Sir, offering that I currently "rent" the Professional Developers package, and have done so for the last three years. I therefore remain in honor...contractually speaking.
    At such time as I feel satisfied with the stability and reliability of the 64bit platform, I will purchase the perpetual license.

Hung with my own rope!!!
    Last edited by gman5250; August 1st, 2017 at 08:00.
    Thomas Jefferson

hahahahahaha.. most certainly not mate

I've yet to dip my proverbial toe into any version of P3D but I'm tempted by this version even though my system is woefully mediocre. The main stumbling block for me is that it's download only and my overhead copper wire broadband would struggle. I don't have the will (nor time) to let it run for hour upon hour I'm afraid. This said, a friend has suggested a possible workaround which would effectively leave me to purchase a licence. Before any of that.. I need room to install it!

ATB
    DaveB

I shall be joining you all but in the winter months when it's cold and damp outside and I'll need something to cheer me up. Hang on it's cold and damp now in Manchester...16°C brrrr.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Members who have read this thread: 0