Simskunkworks Freeware Zipper (F-104S) v2.6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simskunkworks Freeware Zipper (F-104S) v2.6

Simskunkworks Freeware Zipper (F-104S) v2.6

Does anyone still have the installer for this one?

Used to have it installed, but deleted it some time ago in all my idiocy and SWS sadly does not offer it on their homepage anymore.

Need something to scratch the itch produced by seeing way too many of these lately and reading Gerhard Lang's very good book on the aircraft. And to pass the time until the SWS F-104G goes on sale again...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Does anyone still have the installer for this one?

Used to have it installed, but deleted it some time ago in all my idiocy and SWS sadly does not offer it on their homepage anymore.

Need something to scratch the itch produced by seeing way too many of these lately and reading Gerhard Lang's very good book on the aircraft. And to pass the time until the SWS F-104G goes on sale again...
    Check your PM's.

Blog Entries
    Am in the same boat ...

Thx,

DL

Cheers

ATB
    DaveB

SOH-CM-2023
    Anyone done any repaints for these birds? Don't have to be model Accurate.
    You can't take the sky from me...

As far as I remember, the freeware version still supports paints for the older cloud9 model, albeit with a few glitches here and there.

Had a quick hop around the airfield in the F-104S. After getting to grips with the flight characteristics, which feel like balancing an egg on another egg at certain speeds, I got to enjoy the typical F-104 sounds with their distinctive howl at ~80% RPM while suffering more than one close call with the surrounding terrain. Wrecking the hydraulic system because I thought that extending the gear at 300 KIAS was the way to go, I used the emergency gear extension and came in for a surprisingly adequate landing. Now I'm sitting here, still laughing nervously. All the nicknames this thing got do have a point!

hahahahahahaha...

No.. don't use the U/C at that speed but you CAN use the flaps (up to around 450kts if I remember right). Be cautious of abrupt throttle movement at low speed too. Cut the throttles just before you TD and it will flip over so keep at least 75% on.. 80% is better. Below 75% and you drop like a stone. It is as you say.. like balancing one egg on another
    ATB
    DaveB

Just like landing a 727. Cut the power too early and it's a few lost fillings in the back.

SSW:
    Do the version numbers for the different products have any particular meaning?
    Will I get the same features with the v1.6.1 F-104G in FSX as with v2.2.1 in P3Dv2, v4.0.0 in P3Dv3 and v7.0.1 in P3Dv4? (Except, of course, for some sim-specific stuff like dynamic lights in P3Dv4.)

Excellent! Since my Capt Sim F-104 will not work properly for some reason, this is great news. Thanks for the share.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Just like landing a 727. Cut the power too early and it's a few lost fillings in the back.

SSW:
    Do the version numbers for the different products have any particular meaning?
    Will I get the same features with the v1.6.1 F-104G in FSX as with v2.2.1 in P3Dv2, v4.0.0 in P3Dv3 and v7.0.1 in P3Dv4? (Except, of course, for some sim-specific stuff like dynamic lights in P3Dv4.)
    Hi,
    products you mention are sold by SSW while these links refer to a free software.
    The free models wered derive from Cloud9 (with their permission and all credits due), payware versions were made from scratch later and are more accurate with full 3d interior model and new textures.
    Authors that made both freeware and payware are same guys, all belonging to SSW.
    /SSW
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

Quote Originally Posted by SSW1 View Post
    Hi,
    products you mention are sold by SSW while these links refer to a free software.
    The free models wered derive from Cloud9 (with their permission and all credits due), payware versions were made from scratch later and are more accurate with full 3d interior model and new textures.
    Authors that made both freeware and payware are same guys, all belonging to SSW.
    I was - and still am -aware of the difference between the freeware and payware version.
    But I still don't know if there is any substantial difference in terms of system features or flight dynamics between the FSX and P3D payware releases of the F-104G.

I was - and still am -aware of the difference between the freeware and payware version.
    But I still don't know if there is any substantial difference in terms of system features or flight dynamics between the FSX and P3D payware releases of the F-104G.
    Hi,
    apologize to do not have completely answered a your question.
    Here we go:
    - FDE: freeware model was inherited from Cloud9 FS2004, the payware was completely rewritten from scratch to correct flaws, ie: the capability to run well above 1.5 Mach at low altitude which was impossible, payware hangs at 1.01 as should be. All performances was tested and corrected to match as close as possible with real performances tables.
    - MODEL : exterior completely rewritten from scratch to correct all errors, interior rewritten from scratch to make it completely 3D, no more planars, all switches are working as they should
    - TEXTURES : completely redone from scratch to be at highest quality
    - SYSTEMS: completely rewritten to be close to real and correct errors and/or missing things, ie: pitch control, pitch up condition, fictional compressor stall at high AOA, boundary layer control on trailing-edge flaps, LN3 INS, etc.. Systems are so close to real that we could adopt the real flight manual as user manual with very few corrections.
    In summary the payware is a completely different model that, imho, is the closest to real model we have as far flight model is concerned. (i can assert it since i flew something like 2000 hours on that fantastic airplane... i was so young )
    cheers
    /Mario

Question: Does the F-104G work in FSX steam? I tried the freeware F104 but I am more interested in the payware version
    Regards

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by 747jet View Post
    Question: Does the F-104G work in FSX steam? I tried the freeware F104 but I am more interested in the payware version
    Hi,
    we have done some test with it and we have several users with it on FSX/SE without complains, soI can deduce that there are no problems there.
    cheers
    /SSW

Hi,
    apologize to do not have completely answered a your question.
    Here we go:
    - FDE: freeware model was inherited from Cloud9 FS2004, the payware was completely rewritten from scratch to correct flaws, ie: the capability to run well above 1.5 Mach at low altitude which was impossible, payware hangs at 1.01 as should be. All performances was tested and corrected to match as close as possible with real performances tables.
    - MODEL : exterior completely rewritten from scratch to correct all errors, interior rewritten from scratch to make it completely 3D, no more planars, all switches are working as they should
    - TEXTURES : completely redone from scratch to be at highest quality
    - SYSTEMS: completely rewritten to be close to real and correct errors and/or missing things, ie: pitch control, pitch up condition, fictional compressor stall at high AOA, boundary layer control on trailing-edge flaps, LN3 INS, etc.. Systems are so close to real that we could adopt the real flight manual as user manual with very few corrections.
    In summary the payware is a completely different model that, imho, is the closest to real model we have as far flight model is concerned. (i can assert it since i flew something like 2000 hours on that fantastic airplane... i was so young )
    cheers
    /Mario
    Ciao Mario,

thanks for the effort but this is still not an answer to my question.

Let's try one last time:
    Is there ANY DIFFERENCE in terms of FEATURES (gauges, sound, flight dynamics) between the PAYWARE F-104G releases for FSX, P3Dv2, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4?

Which F-104 version did you fly? G or S? Flighter configuration or fighter bomber configuration?

Ciao Mario,

thanks for the effort but this is still not an answer to my question.

Let's try one last time:
    Is there ANY DIFFERENCE in terms of FEATURES (gauges, sound, flight dynamics) between the PAYWARE F-104G releases for FSX, P3Dv2, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4?

Which F-104 version did you fly? G or S? Flighter configuration or fighter bomber configuration?
    Ah,
    this is a different question, did not read with attention last post.
    No differences as far FDE is concerned, no or negligible differences on gauges/system either.
    The main difference among versions is the radar NASARR 21 and 15 (not ready yet on P3D v3 and v4), on P3D v3 and v4 it uses Red Panda technology and it works exactly like the real thing whil was not updated In FSX and P3D v2.
    Hope to have got the point now.
    Guess is worth to visit our policy for future development on our site:
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/index.php/ssw-policy
    where in summary we consider FSX, P3D v2 and v3 a brilliant past but the past, x64 P3D v4 is our future road.
    /Mario

btw
    i flew both, G and S mainly in fighter bomber role.
    5th Wing at Rimini/MIramare (LIPR) from 1970 until 1986

Ah,
    this is a different question, did not read with attention last post.
    No differences as far FDE is concerned, no or negligible differences on gauges/system either.
    The main difference among versions is the radar NASARR 21 and 15 (not ready yet on P3D v3 and v4), on P3D v3 and v4 it uses Red Panda technology and it works exactly like the real thing whil was not updated In FSX and P3D v2.
    Hope to have got the point now.
    Guess is worth to visit our policy for future development on our site:
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/index.php/ssw-policy
    where in summary we consider FSX, P3D v2 and v3 a brilliant past but the past, x64 P3D v4 is our future road.
    /Mario

btw
    i flew both, G and S mainly in fighter bomber role.
    5th Wing at Rimini/MIramare (LIPR) from 1970 until 1986
    That's what I wanted to know. Grazie!

Does the 15€ coupon also apply to an update from FSX to P3Dv4?

Was the "S" better than the "G"?

Hi,
    more powerful engine, better radar, 2 more subalar pylons, more weapons, some better system such as Ground speed Readout, and other minor enhancements.
    15 € coupons apply from whichever minor to major sim version.
    /Mario

Just to ask, do F-104G repaints work on F-104S models as well?
    Best regards, Manfred.

I'd hazard a guess and say no, since they completely revised the exterior.

Old paints for the Cloud9 models should still work though.

Members who have read this thread: 1