Dino's F-35B "ground speed hold"

Thread: Dino's F-35B "ground speed hold"

Dino's F-35B "ground speed hold"

So with the recent discovery of the QE class carrier in the "new carriers" thread I've been flying the F-35B a lot over the last few days. Really having trouble getting the ground speed hold function to work though. As per the manual I can enter Hover mode and control alt using pitch up down, lateral control through banking however the ground speed controls simply ignore my commands. The manual states aileron control L/R should increase/decrease the desired ground speed however neither the default command nor my stick commands have any effect at all. Result is that as soon as I'm roughly in position to land I come to a dead stop and the carrier races away.

Anyone else experienced this?

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    So with the recent discovery of the QE class carrier in the "new carriers" thread I've been flying the F-35B a lot over the last few days. Really having trouble getting the ground speed hold function to work though. As per the manual I can enter Hover mode and control alt using pitch up down, lateral control through banking however the ground speed controls simply ignore my commands. The manual states aileron control L/R should increase/decrease the desired ground speed however neither the default command nor my stick commands have any effect at all. Result is that as soon as I'm roughly in position to land I come to a dead stop and the carrier races away.

Anyone else experienced this?

Craig
    Hi Graig,

I'll explain what probably happens here (see the Manual too).

Firstly: when in Hover mode, you don't control groundspeed with Ailerons, but with AileronTRIM commands !!

Secondly:
    When you enter Hover mode, the F35B decells to a target groundspeed, which is pre-set to:
    - the actual carrier groundspeed, but ONLY if the carrier is recognised in the code. (using pre-defined relations between NAV1 freq. and TACAN, based on the so-called VisualModelRadius of the carrier model)
    - 0, otherwise.

The new QE class of carriers most probably is not recognised by the current code (see the Manual for supported carriers), so the pre-set target speed defaults to 0 Knots groundspeed.
    So what you should do (after entering Hover mode) is manually increase the target groundspeed, using AileronTRIM commands.

Hope that answers your question.

Rob

Thanks Rob, my bad I missed a rather important important word on my first post. I am using the trim commands, they're just not seeming to have any effect while hovering.

I have the default commands still mapped on my keyboard (Ctrl Num 4/6) and I also have buttons on my stick mapped to trim - neither approach has any effect once in hover mode though I can trim using the same commands while in CTOL flight and they are having the expected effect as trim commands, its only once in a hover that they stop working.

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Thanks Rob, my bad I missed a rather important important word on my first post. I am using the trim commands, they're just not seeming to have any effect while hovering.

I have the default commands still mapped on my keyboard (Ctrl Num 4/6) and I also have buttons on my stick mapped to trim - neither approach has any effect once in hover mode though I can trim using the same commands while in CTOL flight and they are having the expected effect as trim commands, its only once in a hover that they stop working.

Craig
    That (AileronTrim) cleared .. , a few more suggestions:

- You're not in a HoverHold, are you ?
    - When using the keyboard commands for AileronTrim, is NumLock in the right state ?? (forgot what it should be, I guess Off)
    - Have you checked if your control settings for AileronTrim aren't messed up somehow (check via the Control assignments menu) ....
    - Try to (temporarily) assign other keyboard keys to AileronTrim Left/Right, and see if that helps.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    That (AileronTrim) cleared .. , a few more suggestions:

- You're not in a HoverHold, are you ?
    - When using the keyboard commands for AileronTrim, is NumLock in the right state ?? (forgot what it should be, I guess Off)
    - Have you checked if your control settings for AileronTrim aren't messed up somehow (check via the Control assignments menu) ....
    - Try to (temporarily) assign other keyboard keys to AileronTrim Left/Right, and see if that helps.

Rob
    The commands worked fine when used as aileron trim, its only in Hover mode that they weren't having any effect, so the key bindings were ok.

Chalking it up to a random bug as its working now... even though I haven't actually changed anything

The commands worked fine when used as aileron trim, its only in Hover mode that they weren't having any effect, so the key bindings were ok.

Chalking it up to a random bug as its working now... even though I haven't actually changed anything
    Yes, weird ...
    Because there is no condition whatsoever, that would prevent/block Groundspeed control (within the given limits) by AileronTrim commands.

Rob

Members who have read this thread: 0