Military Flyovers

Thread: Military Flyovers

Military Flyovers

I'm curious if anyone else lives by a civilian airport that the Military uses on occasion. KGSO doesn't have any resident military, but it's used on occasion for approach practice, and I've been told that it's also on some "contingency" list. I see VC-25's, C-5's, C-130's, and just now a V-22 Osprey just flew over.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Here in Stillwater OK and we have T-1As,T-6A,rarely T-38Cs,and use to have T-37s(now retired)more than once a week visit SWO.They come in from nearby Vance AFB in Enid and always in pairs.Oh and sometimes a C-130 and on one occasion a B-52! This isn't counting the military flybys overs at the OSU campus during football games.

We just spent a week down at Virginia Beach not far from NAS Oceana and I can tell you that it gets way too loud in a lot of places to be comfortable. Nothing against military jets, but I would not want to live next to a rifle range either.

- Ivan.

Funny how people move to towns such as Va. Beach (and Hampton - Langley) knowing there's a huge very active Air Base there, which has been there for many many years, then complain about jet noise.

Well, having been stationed there, I lived in Yuma, Az for almost 30 years. Some of it in the barracks, some out in town, some just out of town near what's left of the Colorado River, which isn't much. I literally was able to walk across in spots. Without getting my boys wet. It doesn't even make it to the sea any more. It just...fades away into the sand. Really sad. The jet noise was pretty incessant, but I got to where if it WASN'T there I was suddenly wide awake and wondering what was wrong...

Now I live in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Our airport is Kingsley Field. KLMT. Has been military most of it's history, but civilians are allowed to use it too. Now, it's the only, and last, F-15 Training base left, so we get a lot of flights. Sometimes, even night flights, although they put a notice in the local paper before hand. Once or twice a year. Again, doesn't bother me in the least.
    We do have a very large, and well reinforced, runway. Can handle any jet at all. Cargo, even the biggest ones, fighters, even commercial birds, although all we get are the little, local passenger jets. Not enough people for any big planes.
    We have some odd bunkers on base, too. I suspect there may be nuclear (NEW CLEE AR, not new-cu-lar!!!! That's a word that bugs me no end) weapons there. If not, the base is capable of receiving them. I know for a fact that MCAS Yuma, and YPG both had nukes aboard. Anywho...
    In fact, this town supports the base 100%. There was ONE guy, bought a house near the end of the runway, then started complaining in letters to the editor. DUH. Anyway, the people of Klamath Falls got together and bought his house out from under him. Told him to go back to California and quit whining to us. It was great!

Of course, every base I ever went to , TAD or whatever, had constant jet noise. Comforting to me. Iwakuni, our barracks was right on the end of the runway where the Phantoms marshalled for take-off. I worked 2300 to 0700, so most of the flying was right in the middle of my night. Slept like a stone. I don't sleep like a baby. They wake up every couple of hours, wet, dirty, and hungry. Not me, although that may change as I slowly approach lower middle age

There's my experience with jet noise...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Here at KILM (Wilmington, NC) we usually have AV-8B Harriers come in every Thursday or Friday and stay overnight. V-22A's are a frequent visitor as well. Sometimes we get the VC-25's and C-32's as well. Last week we had two P-8A's in the pattern at the same time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A very rare visitor to our field, F/A-18C of VMFA-251 (USMC)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Video I made of the Hornet's departure (which certainly ticked off the wine-sipping garden party crowd downtown)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr8md8XGDr8

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Video I made of the Hornet's departure (which certainly ticked off the wine-sipping garden party crowd downtown)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr8md8XGDr8
    I wish that was my local airfield. Just for the Harriers alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jymp View Post
    Funny how people move to towns such as Va. Beach (and Hampton - Langley) knowing there's a huge very active Air Base there, which has been there for many many years, then complain about jet noise.
    Hey, Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. I don't live there. We were just down there on vacation.
    The noise wasn't a surprise. We were last down there two years ago. My Fiancée and I were down there the first time in 1997 and nothing much has changed as far as noise.
    I was down at Norfolk working at the base and thought well enough about Virginia Beach to go back there for our Honeymoon.

Way back around that time, My Fiancée and I were shopping for a house and found a very nice looking one for sale.
    We were debating on contacting the owners to see inside until a very large commercial jet flew over us.
    The place was on the approach to Washington National Airport.
    No. We didn't bother contacting the owner....

- Ivan.

Jet Noise - The Sound of Freedom!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oshkosh2016Four_9WM.jpg  

TF Green is just about 3 miles up the road from me, and one of the main approach paths goes straight past my living room windows. Main traffic is Southwest 737s, but every once in awhile, a C-130J from Quonset Point will swing through the pattern and stay for a day or two. Also some Army choppers from time to time, UH-60s and the occasional Chinook.

When Quonset held their airshow back at the end of May, there were 3 or 4 Hercs parked at Green. Made for quite an interesting backdrop driving by and seeing big grey birds tucked in behind the bright colors of the airlines.

My local airport, Fort Worth Meacham, sees a bunch of current and ex-military aircraft, mostly from the nearby Naval Air Station (formerly Carswell Air Force Base). In the past few months, I've spotted a number of V-22 Ospreys, Boeing T-45 Goshawks, T-1 Jayhawks, C-130 Hercules of several versions, F/A-18 Hornets, and the occasional F-35 doing approaches. Even had an A-4 Skyhawk and an AV-8B Harrier II a couple of months ago.

i dont live near a base,Beale is 20 or so miles west,then theres McClellan and Mather isn Sacramento.but i moved to a mobile home park right off the end of 25 at Auburn Kaun,many years ago,people that live here in the park,mostly all dead now,started a campaign in the county to force the closure of the city owned airport because of noise.this particular time,Bud Anderson and Chuck Yeager stepped in and brought other militarily types and just overall famous people and fought back.the out come was to have pilots taking off of 25 have to make a 20* turn to the left after liftoff to avoid the hospital and trailers.most no longer do this.they fly either straight out or make a slight turn to the left and fly directly over me.about 3 months ago i attended a mandatory mobile home park resident meeting.they were talking about trying to shut down the airport again.i knew this was going to happen,so i called up the owners of the park,they own the land not the actual park,but they are to take it back in 2020.the owner and her brother both went to high school with my mom and dad,graduated in 55 and 57 respectively .so they both came,they sat there quietly until the end,when she stood and announced that if the airport closes,so will the mobile home park and all of the residents will be forced to move.this one loud mouth that lives here,says shes a psychologist,but shes not,only went to one class as part of a sheriffs office thing for the juvenile justice department she worked for.one of my moms cousins is a psychologist,and he looked her info up and filed a complaint with the PCSO that she is going around telling people she is a lic'd therapist. when she was confronted with it,she was informed she shouldn't have words with me,because i take care of things..lol...it is a blessing to be a true native of the town,and i have pull in most areas of politics and the LE family..anyway,she started to mouth off and Betty looked at her and said,ive inspected your lot,you have so many violations of policy its amazing,if you wish to stay,you need to make some fast changes and sit down...she is also no longer a "board member" of the park.
    well bottom line,Betty and her brother let the residents know they would not put up with this again,those who continued to complain could move voluntarily or be removed.well about two weeks ago,a prominent political type man moved in to the park,first thing he did was to tell management he was annoyed with the airport traffic...........the manager then told him his lease would be removed if he did so....he no longer lives here..

Just some insight from the cockpit. I normally have a block amount of training time with the assigned aircraft. Depending on the training objectives, we can just file to different airports for practice approaches or a destination that has the best nearby food (preferably with a crew/courtesy car). Airports with food on the field make it that much easier and save ground time. We also look at runway/service requirements (more for fast movers) and contract fuel. We never file to a military airport if we can avoid it with the additional paperwork requirements and no cars, also AFBs have this impenetrable "red line of death". If an exercise is going on and we "det" out of a local field, we have made arrangements with the FBO, and that guy is happy to sell JET-A!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by oldmsgt View Post
    Jet Noise - The Sound of Freedom!

It kinda depends on WHOSE Jets, No?

- Ivan.

Members +
    Here in South Africa, Ysterplaat Air Force Base in Cape Town, we get the occasional C47 Turbo Dakota doing a touch & go.

We are so starved of any mil aircraft, we run outside to check anything whenever we hear noises in the air.

Members who have read this thread: 0