AI Carriers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI Carriers

AI Carriers

Does P3D V4 accept AI Carriers and if so how do you get to work as I have had no luck.

Yes. I have been able to use AIcarriers.net without any issues.

Which version are you trying to use?
    Where did you install it on your system?
    What AI ships are you trying to use...and where did you install them?

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    Does P3D V4 accept AI Carriers and if so how do you get to work as I have had no luck.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Not sure on the version but 2 I think.

I have put it in my main P3D folder and trying to get the SDB Enterprise to work as well as the Nimitz. Unless of course I messed up the installation.

Is there a config enter for the Enterprise?

AI carriers yes, RFN Gauge no!

I've tried contacting Sylvain Parouty to find out if he is considering a 64-bit update, but have had no reply. I really hope he is! I'm filling my time with lots of other interesting flying in v4 for now, but there will come a time when I will just have to return to cats 'n' traps... at which point it could be the one thing which drives me away from v4!

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

I would be interested if anyone has found a way to make it work as it does in P3D V3...
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Hi , I have AiCarriers.net running in V4 OK , I copied all AiCarriers fiel to a Folder AiCarruiers inside P3D root folder (have not tested with it outside but dont think it would not work), added an entry in the exe.xml in C:\Users\Your_ID\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 so my exe.xml looks like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF8-BOM"?>
    <SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
    <Descr>Launch</Descr>
    <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
    <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>H:\Prepar3d V4\AICarriers\AICarriers.exe</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    </SimBase.Document>

(make sure you use something like Notepad ++ as it has to be in UTF8 format and Notepad may change it...)

Then I installed the uss_nimitz_uss_eisenhower_v2_fsx_p3d into a folder somewhere (your choice) that I called Nimitz_Carriers. (ended up with three folders inside Effects , Simobjects, Sound.

Then I created an xml file to tell P3D V4 where the nimitz carriers are without needing to put it in Simobjects\Boats as LM does not want anything in its root folder . Here is the XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>Nimitz_Carriers</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>uss_nimitz_uss_eisenhower_v2_p3 d</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>H:\Add_On_Airplanes\Nimitz_Carriers\SimObjec ts\Boats</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Effects</Category>
    <Path>H:\Add_On_Airplanes\Nimitz_Carriers\Effect s</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Sound</Category>
    <Path>H:\Add_On_Airplanes\Nimitz_Carriers\Sound</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    </SimBase.Document>

where it says Path replace with the path to your Nimitz_Carriers folder complete up to the subfolder.. (three places).

Next in C:\Users\YOUR_ID\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons create a folder called Nimitz , in it save the xml file as add-on.xml (make sure you use notepad++ in UTF8)

Start P3D V4 , it should come up with a question Do you want to enable add-on Nimitz_Carriers?? (or whatever name you said in the add-on.xml section
    <AddOn.Name>Nimitz_Carriers</AddOn.Name> , acept that and the sim will start . In the SIM menu look in ADD-ons and should see AI Ships , that means the exe.xml worked OK,..now open AI Ships and select one of the nimitz carriers , I do it at 1nm so I see it and confirm all works well... if it shows , you are done.. go flying and Safe Recovery!!

please let me know any rpoblems and will try to help..

Jorge

PS Make sure your path and folder spelling is correct!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson View Post
    I would be interested if anyone has found a way to make it work as it does in P3D V3...
    AIcarriers2 (.net version) has been working perfectly fine for me.

I added the AI ships to the P3d "Boats" Folder.

I placed it in the Parent folder of my P3d4 installation (i.e.the "Lockheed Martin" folder) and then added the required entry to my EXE.XML file.

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\AICarriers NET\AICarriers.exe</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>

I just added the USS Oriskany to the .cfg file and it took 5 attempts to trap the A-7A on it....but it's working pretty well for me too.

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

You could add moe carriers from RFN with the same procedure , also unfortunately VLSO does not work as it is 32bit and RFN Gauge does'nt either again 32 bits and The CVN 65 from SDB is also 32 bits..

Jorge

Help here most appreciated please

OK. Got to post #6 above and that just does my head in. Been around FS a while and made minor xml edits but the breezy "just create an xml file like so", etc etc, just does my head in. No idea why you need to do that or where it would go.

This I can almost follow:

AIcarriers2 (.net version) has been working perfectly fine for me. I added the AI ships to the P3d "Boats" Folder.
    OK

I placed it in the Parent folder of my P3d4 installation (i.e.the "Lockheed Martin" folder)
    Yes, fine.

and then added the required entry to my EXE.XML file.
    Huh? What? Nothing like this for FSX. Where, what says you need to add this step for V4? Importantly, where exactly do I find this "EXE.XML" file?

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>

If I can do this step above, I think I could be in business!

Many thanks,

expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    OK. Got to post #6 above and that just does my head in. Been around FS a while and made minor xml edits but the breezy "just create an xml file like so", etc etc, just does my head in. No idea why you need to do that or where it would go.

This I can almost follow:

OK

Yes, fine.

Huh? What? Nothing like this for FSX. Where, what says you need to add this step for V4? Importantly, where exactly do I find this "EXE.XML" file?

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>

If I can do this step above, I think I could be in business!

Many thanks,

expat
    You can do that if you want AI Carriers to start automatically with P3D, you had to do the same with FSX although the installer may have handled it automatically. Although all I do is double click the AICarriers.exe once I'm in P3D and it all works.

you had to do the same with FSX although the installer may have handled it automatically
    No, it doesn't do it automatically, although the Readme has a how-to section for editing the exe.xml file, to add the appropriate section to make AICarriers start automatically. As may have been mentioned before, always, ALWAYS use NotePad to edit the exe.xml file (.cfg files too!). If you use a word processor it will add symbols to the file that make them unusable for FSX or P3D. You also ALWAYS make a back-up of any file before you edit it.
    I don't know about P3D, as I don't have it, but for FSX, the exe.xml is found in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS X . At least on a Vista machine. Again, the Readme file has a section showing where the exe.xml file is located, for FSX, for the various OS's. I believe it's location is similar for P3D.
    When adding the entry to the exe.xml file,

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>
    </Launch.Addon>

don't neglect the line
    </Launch.Addon> as the last line of the entry. You didn't show it in your example in your last post, expat. Just a note.

Also, you must dl and install the correct .NET Framework. The correct version, and where to DL it from, are, again, included in the Readme file.

I placed it in the Parent folder of my P3d4 installation (i.e.the "Lockheed Martin" folder)
    I've seen entries in the AICarriers forum over on the FSDT site that indicate that AICarriers must be installed within the root P3D folder, as shown, to function in P3D. I've also seen posts on other forums that contradict this. I always recommend installing it under the root P3D folder, just to be safe.

Although all I do is double click the AICarriers.exe once I'm in P3D and it all works.
    I made a shortcut to the AICarriers.exe file on my desktop. That way I don't have to dig it up if I need to start it manually. I set the shortcut to start AICarriers as Administrator. Tends to prevent a lot of problems that can occur. Just a suggestion.

Hope all my babbling helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Install in Program Files

With Vista that may be ok. But due to Win 7, 8 and 10 having 'Permissions' installing ANYTHING to 'Program Files' is a mistake (ie- opinion...contradictions). Also note in #6 '\SimObjec ts' - the space between 'c' and 't' will cause path to not work.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Hi Chuck!
    The example I showed was only that, an example. I whole-heartedly, 100%, agree with you about the Program Files directory. It should be avoided at all costs. Should have a big notification on it: KEEP OUT!

Hope that clears things up. Maybe as clear as mud now?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

OK, thanks guys, think I have enough now to give it a try!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Sorry, still very confused. I have P3D4 in my D drive and downloaded the AI carriers 2 .NET zip and extracted it there. (Think I have the Java version installed in my C drive > Program Files (x86) etc.)

When I try to run the aicarriers.exe nothing happens but I think that is normal.

I think I can make the exe.xml edit BUT not at all clear where to find the file to amend it.

I don't know about P3D, as I don't have it, but for FSX, the exe.xml is found in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS X
    When I look for an analogous path in the C drive for P3D, i.e., AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\ there then is no equivalent "PD3.cfg" and exe.xml files there. Where do I find this "exe.xml" to make the necessary changes?

Thanks!

Never mind. Managed - not sure how - to figure it out and it is WORKING!!!

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Never mind. Managed - not sure how - to figure it out and it is WORKING!!!

Thanks all!
    I'm glad you got it going!
    May you enjoy the fruits of your hard work now
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

One Snag

Seems once I exit the sim, no add ons appear after re launching PD3V4. I can only get it back by rebooting my pc. Is there a solution to this?

expat - I started using P3D v4 about 2 months ago and I've looked at numerous web pages, websites, etc., to find answers to the many questions I've had about the sim. One of the better resources I just discovered a couple days ago is the Prepar3D guide at Avsim (https://www.avsim.com/files/file/87-...repar3d-guide/). I don't know if it will answer your questions, but it appears to have some file location and structure information. (I'm not an advocate of Avsim or anything like that (just a sim junkie), but you have to join Avsim in order to download the guide.)

(P.S. I just pulled up the guide and it has a good discussion about exe.xml on p.62 with some screenshots showing possible locations of that file. It says that if you have more than one exe.xml P3D will attempt to merge the 2!)
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Thanks. Will do.

Okay, I thought I would throw caution to the wind and ask the dumb question for the day. How do you launch and land on carriers in P3Dv4? I have been engrossed in another project so have not spent much time with P3Dv4 (though I bought it the day it was released :-). I did manage to get AI Carriers working just fine, but have not figured out how to launch and land, having previously relied on Rob Barendregt's Carrier Ops gauges, which I have not been able to get working in P3Dv4.

Patience from readers and help would be greatly appreciated.

As long as the plane you want to use has the correct "things" in the .mdl file, like Dino's planes or the FSDT F/A-18, you can simply put your tail hook down, and land on the carrier. As long as you're not going too fast, and have the correct AOA when you touch the deck, the hook should catch. Another assumption: You are trying to land on one of the better carriers. Javier's Nimitz v2, for example.
    Get your plane out over the ocean someplace and place the carrier you want, presuming you have it in the AICarriers .cfg file. I usually place the carrier 10nmi ahead of my plane to give myself a little time to see it, get lined up on it, etc. Put the carrier in motion with the menu selection for FORWARD. That will give you most of the WOD you need.
    Dino's planes, and the FSDT bird, have the updated HUD that lets you set your NAV1 frequency to see the carrier, and once lined up correctly, get the ILS needles for it. The updated HUD can be added to most planes, should you desire.
    I can't speak to the P3D key assignments, but in FSX, the tail hook is lowered/raised by SHFT+Q. To launch, place your plane's nose wheel in the little square outlined at the aft and of the catapult track, hit SHFT+U to lower your launch bar, give it a second to lower completely, then SHFT+I to "connect" to the cat. Run your throttles up to 100%, and hit SHFT+SPACE BAR to launch.
    All this is assuming the key assignments in P3D are similar to FSX.

You shouldn't need any add-on programs to launch/land on the carriers made for FSX Acceleration. Boats along the lines of Javier's Nimitz v2 are all set up and ready to go. I don't know if P3D has any "default" carriers, boats included with the program, but if it does, they should be set up also.

Does this help at all?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    As long as the plane you want to use has the correct "things" in the .mdl file, like Dino's planes or the FSDT F/A-18, you can simply put your tail hook down, and land on the carrier. As long as you're not going too fast, and have the correct AOA when you touch the deck, the hook should catch. Another assumption: You are trying to land on one of the better carriers. Javier's Nimitz v2, for example.
    Get your plane out over the ocean someplace and place the carrier you want, presuming you have it in the AICarriers .cfg file. I usually place the carrier 10nmi ahead of my plane to give myself a little time to see it, get lined up on it, etc. Put the carrier in motion with the menu selection for FORWARD. That will give you most of the WOD you need.
    Dino's planes, and the FSDT bird, have the updated HUD that lets you set your NAV1 frequency to see the carrier, and once lined up correctly, get the ILS needles for it. The updated HUD can be added to most planes, should you desire.
    I can't speak to the P3D key assignments, but in FSX, the tail hook is lowered/raised by SHFT+Q. To launch, place your plane's nose wheel in the little square outlined at the aft and of the catapult track, hit SHFT+U to lower your launch bar, give it a second to lower completely, then SHFT+I to "connect" to the cat. Run your throttles up to 100%, and hit SHFT+SPACE BAR to launch.
    All this is assuming the key assignments in P3D are similar to FSX.

You shouldn't need any add-on programs to launch/land on the carriers made for FSX Acceleration. Boats along the lines of Javier's Nimitz v2 are all set up and ready to go. I don't know if P3D has any "default" carriers, boats included with the program, but if it does, they should be set up also.

Does this help at all?
    Pat☺
    thank you Pat. I will give it a try. I was using the Razbam T2 so I'll switch to Dino's planes and give it a go!

For carrier ops, I recommend Dino's T-45, or his F-14. He says they both work in P3D v4, except some of the sounds, and the airborne refueling system. There is a quirk with that which will refuel non-existent external fuel tanks. He recommends not using the airborne refueling system at all until he has time to fix it. He also says that until they get caught up to P3Dv4, TACPAC is completely non-functional.
    Other than those little details, his planes work great. The STOVL system in his F-35 doesn't work either, but he is working on it. He says that when Mr. Dowson's FSUIPC is updated for P3Dv4 it should be restored, using the alternate STOVL gauge included in the F-35 package. I recommend reading his notes on all this.
    Personally, I love the F-14, but, being a trainer, the T-45 is easier to land on a carrier. It has a small problem with the plane's length to it's tail-hook. Apparently the carrier's IFLOLS and ILS set-ups are all tuned for the F/A-18. The T-45, being a shorter aircraft, if you follow the ILS and IFLOLS, will tend to land a bit long. You will get a 4-wire trap vice a 3-wire, or a bolter. You can fly a little under the indicated glideslope, however, and catch the 3-wire. Again, remember to have the correct AOA and speed for the plane you're using to get a good trap.
    The frequency for Javier's Nimitz v2 is 115.00, if you need it. In FSX, the default carrier frequency is 114.00. These are ONLY for the HUD included in Dino's and the FSDT plane's. This frequency assignment is for that HUD to display the ILS needles, and guidance to the carrier. It's internal to the HUD, and has no existence in the "real" world, IE: Other plane's HUD's or NAV radios.
    I believe those frequencies are also valid for the RFN gauges as well, but I don't use the RFN stuff, so I can't say for sure. I have heard they work pretty well with P3D, but I don't know.
    Have fun! I sure do
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    For carrier ops, I recommend Dino's T-45, or his F-14. He says they both work in P3D v4, except some of the sounds, and the airborne refueling system. There is a quirk with that which will refuel non-existent external fuel tanks. He recommends not using the airborne refueling system at all until he has time to fix it. He also says that until they get caught up to P3Dv4, TACPAC is completely non-functional.
    Other than those little details, his planes work great. The STOVL system in his F-35 doesn't work either, but he is working on it. He says that when Mr. Dowson's FSUIPC is updated for P3Dv4 it should be restored, using the alternate STOVL gauge included in the F-35 package. I recommend reading his notes on all this.
    Personally, I love the F-14, but, being a trainer, the T-45 is easier to land on a carrier. It has a small problem with the plane's length to it's tail-hook. Apparently the carrier's IFLOLS and ILS set-ups are all tuned for the F/A-18. The T-45, being a shorter aircraft, if you follow the ILS and IFLOLS, will tend to land a bit long. You will get a 4-wire trap vice a 3-wire, or a bolter. You can fly a little under the indicated glideslope, however, and catch the 3-wire. Again, remember to have the correct AOA and speed for the plane you're using to get a good trap.
    The frequency for Javier's Nimitz v2 is 115.00, if you need it. In FSX, the default carrier frequency is 114.00. These are ONLY for the HUD included in Dino's and the FSDT plane's. This frequency assignment is for that HUD to display the ILS needles, and guidance to the carrier. It's internal to the HUD, and has no existence in the "real" world, IE: Other plane's HUD's or NAV radios.
    I believe those frequencies are also valid for the RFN gauges as well, but I don't use the RFN stuff, so I can't say for sure. I have heard they work pretty well with P3D, but I don't know.
    Have fun! I sure do
    Pat☺

Thank you very much Pat. I will let you know how things go in a few days. I have ben working with Milton Shupe on his A-20 model and should have some time to fly something different. I am anxious to try as I have missed carrier ops.

Bruce Ellis

Members who have read this thread: 4