"Failed to start flight model"...

Thread: "Failed to start flight model"...

"Failed to start flight model"...

Just added some new skins - namely of the Mosquitoes of 418 Sqdn RCAF Russ Bannock and some from the film "633 Squadron" - to the Just Flight Mosquito package when I get a "Failed to start flight model" message for the respective aircraft. Something missing? Something I need to tweak?

N.

More than likely a sim= error in the aircraft.cfg

ATB
    DaveB

If it is FSX or Steam, sometimes selecting a new aircraft or textures a few times this happens to me -seems to eventually confuse the program somehow.. I close and restart, then it loads. Weird, but at least I know what to do.

As Dave mentions, this message pops up when the Aircraft.cfg file aircraft entry ([fltsim.X]...) does not have the correct airfile name/title in the "sim=" section. So make sure to confirm that the name/title following "sim=" is the same as that of the .air file.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

OK. I did notice that the "Sim=" designation was different in the skins I loaded than what was listed, so I changed the Sim= act.cfg entries for each skin to match those that came with the JF package. Now the aircraft for the add-on skins appear completely black and featureless.

well, at least the "Failed to start" message is gone...

N.

OK Neil..

Now that's out of the way..

THe JF Mosquito only has one model so there should be nothing in the model=line. This leaves only the texture= line to cause your problems. If the 633Sqn paints are those done by Peter Watkins.. the entries are straight forward and equate to the texture folders, EG

[fltsim.xx]
    title=JF Mosquito FB Mk VI_HT-A
    sim=JF_Mosquito
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=HT-A
    etc

I don't have the JF Mossie installed at the moment but looking at the content of Peter's repaints, the cfg entries he supplied match the texture folders in his pack and these match the model. As the sim= line in the paints you are trying to look at doesn't match the sim= line in the aircraft.cfg (or didn't match) I'm suspicious that they're not for the JF model. Peter's paints most certainly are.
    Do all the new ones display black (eg, no textures)?
    ATB
    DaveB

Keep in mind that JF produced an earlier set of the Mossie with twelve different models. I have them for FS9 and FSX, in addition to the latest release which only has one model (MkVI). Textures for the earlier set will not work with the latest version.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Indeed they did WH and it's almost certainly paints for this model Neil is trying to shoehorn onto the new model.

Neil.. the 633 Squadron set for the 'New' JF MKVI Mossie can be found at Flightsim.com under the name de_havilland_mosquito_633_squadron.zip and as mentioned, they're by Peter Watkins

As a pointer.. it was released in 2016 so any paints you see earlier than that will be for the old (emphasis on OLD) model.
    ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 2