Using a game pad type controller?

Thread: Using a game pad type controller?

Hybrid View

Using a game pad type controller?

I have a Steam Link. For those of you who don't know, it is a device that allows you to connect Steam games to your other tvs. In my case, I have large tv in my Living Room. Well, I FINALLY got around to ordering a controller from Steam to use with the Steam Link.

The problem is it is a game pad type. I have NEVER used this type of controller, ever. But it can, I guess, be configured to use with just about any type of game.

MOST frustrating for a old fart like me, learning how to use this thing. I spent a couple hours, just trying to configure the buttons to work with FSX. Gave up. Hoping someone can provide some advice! NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steam-controller.jpg  

The only thing I found are the following configs for FSX, but Fireflox complained about an outdated security certificate for the website (it's still usable though):
    https://www.steamcontrollerdb.com/ga...-steam-edition

How to: https://www.steamcontrollerdb.com/home/about

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The only thing I found are the following configs for FSX, but Fireflox complained about an outdated security certificate for the website (it's still usable though):
    https://www.steamcontrollerdb.com/ga...-steam-edition

How to: https://www.steamcontrollerdb.com/home/about

Thanks! I will give it a try! NC

I have an old Logitec gamepad attached to my system along with my Saitek X-45,
    Pro yoke and dual throttle quads.

FSX sees the gamepad as another controller and I assign controls to the various
    buttons and axis using FSUIPC4. No problems at all.

Does your gamepad have some proprietary software installed that night be ccausing
    an issue?

Mine just plugs in to a USB port and works 'as is'.

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBaron View Post
    I have an old Logitec gamepad attached to my system along with my Saitek X-45,
    Pro yoke and dual throttle quads.

FSX sees the gamepad as another controller and I assign controls to the various
    buttons and axis using FSUIPC4. No problems at all.

Does your gamepad have some proprietary software installed that night be ccausing
    an issue?

Mine just plugs in to a USB port and works 'as is'.

Paul
    The Steam Controller is wireless. The problem is ME. I have never used a game pad controller. It is totally alien to me. Give me a Joystick and separate throttle, and I can figure things out....but so far, I am clueless with a game pad. NC

I have the Steam controller but find it complex and hard to setup so instead use my trusty old Xbox 360 for flightsim control. If anyone has a good setup for the Steam controller please step forward.

As long as the sim recognises the controller then you should be able to assign keys (buttons) and axis through the settings page as normal. The stick may have to be assigned as an axis as it may be analogue, although I'm not sure about that. You could assign up/down as pitch and left/right as roll. First step is to get the sim(s) to recognise the controller in the drop down list at the top of the controller settings page, and then to select that. Then you should be able to assign buttons to whatever you like. The only problem I can see is that there probably aren't enough buttons for too much.

I have an X Box controller that come with my Oculus Rift, and that is great to use with the avatar in P3D.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Members who have read this thread: 0