About to switch from FSX to P3D - advice needed!

Thread: About to switch from FSX to P3D - advice needed!

About to switch from FSX to P3D - advice needed!

OK guys, you have finally convinced me to take the plunge!

On install - will have this on the same rig as FSX. I have FSX installed on an SSD "E" drive, which is now pretty full.

Can I install P3D (v4) on my (SSD) C drive? Any other tips for a newbie? I see lots here I can search later re aircraft compatibility, scenery, tweaks etc. but would like your views on the install stage.

Thanks, expat.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

You can install it anywhere as long as it's not in the "program Files" default location.
    For example, you could choose C:\P3D\
    If your C drive is a SSD, that shouldn't be a problems at all.

However, be aware that the installation program will "unpack" some temporary files on the C drive (no matter which drive you chose for install), so ensure your C drive has several GB free. You'll need:
    - 12 GB for the installation files
    - 20 GB for the installed sim
    - 4 or 6 GB for temporary files, perhaps more, I never remember....

If anybody could confirm....
    Last edited by Daube; July 21st, 2017 at 04:16. Reason: Can I even english any more ?

I run FSXA and P3dv4 on the same hard drive.

My FSX was not installed into the default location, but when I installed P3d I went ahead with the defaults..... C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin ... and it is running great.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

I would suggest a drive with space for expansion for your addons. Alternatively, in P3D v4 you can install your addons in alternative locations and drives and not inside the P3D folder structure like in FSX. However, not all developers offer this option, like ORBX so you still need the space in your P3D drive.

12 Gb for the LM download : CONFIRMED
    23.4 Gb for P3D 4.0.23 clean install (4.0.28 should give approx the same size)
    No idea about temp files, did not check that up to now...

Many users report that it is widely advisable to install flightsimming softwares outside of the standard Program Files (X86) or Programmes folders, as they are subject to more security controls as to right access or alteration rights than non standard windows folders.
    My P3D is on F:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 (as I had previously v2 then v3, which now all went to antiques hangar).

On my rig, the only addons I have left installing into P3D are the Orbx FTX Global suite (base, vector, LC EU and NA) and the freeware airports packs for NA and EU. This gives me a 89.8 Gb Prepar3D v4 folder, of which , 59.8 Gb ORBX stuff.
    All my other addons (3rd party aircrafts, freeware only, scenery, sounds, gauges, effects, etc... are located outside of P3D own folder, as suggested by LM. I am using the various .cfg files to let P3D know where to find what. Others use symbolic links, including for the ORBX products. It all works.

Possibly check for an additional SSD, or a bigger one, for your flightsims?

Blue skies
    Windows 10 x64, Z170A Gaming Pro Mobo, i7-6700K CPU (no O/C), 32 Gb DDR4 RAM, RTX3060 12Gb, P3D v5 latest edition, mesh Toposim, packs ORBX FTX Global Base + Vector + OpenLC, + Trees HD, ASP3D, ASCA, P3D v6 latest edition, mesh Toposim + TEP, X-Plane 12, simHeaven X-World, M2XP Antarctica

Thanks all. Exactly the advice I was looking for. I have about 70 gb of space on my SSD C:drive. That may be a bit tight but I might try it anyway and see what happens. I also farm out some things like mesh to a different drive than where FSX sits, so can do the same with P3D. If necessary I may get a bigger drive.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

One item I found interesting is how FTX Central v3 handles the FSX / P3D dual installation. Upon each start up, FTX Central allows you to select between FSX and P3D. Since about 3 weeks ago, I've selected nothing but P3D!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Once its installed P3D will leave 4 folders worth of install files in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache totalling 9.8Gb for V3 or 11.8Gb for V4
    I believe it only needs them again if you do a repair or uninstall so it should be OK to delete them or like I have back them up to another location just in case.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Thanks guys for the additional info.

One item I found interesting is how FTX Central v3 handles the FSX / P3D dual installation. Upon each start up, FTX Central allows you to select between FSX and P3D. Since about 3 weeks ago, I've selected nothing but P3D!
    Does that mean my FTX Global and Vector install for FSX will work for P3D (ie I don't have to shell out big bucks twice?!)? I don't think I have yet done the FTX Central v3 migration thing that messed a lot of people up. Was hoping to let that sleeping dog lie . .

The migration problems are long past. FTX Central 3 is required for P3D installations. FTX Central 2 will not recognize P3D.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Does that mean my FTX Global and Vector install for FSX will work for P3D (ie I don't have to shell out big bucks twice?!)? I don't think I have yet done the FTX Central v3 migration thing that messed a lot of people up. Was hoping to let that sleeping dog lie . .
    No need to shell out 2x! I found that very thoughtful.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Oh that is very good news - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I would suggest a drive with space for expansion for your addons. Alternatively, in P3D v4 you can install your addons in alternative locations and drives and not inside the P3D folder structure like in FSX. However, not all developers offer this option, like ORBX so you still need the space in your P3D drive.
    Lot's more room !!! I have a 1 terabyte drive for P3D 3, and another for P3D 4. The P3D 3 drive is 2/3 full, and I've already used 1/3 of the P3D 4 drive.
    LOL
    Sue

I can't see if this has been asked and answered so I guess I can be the dummy.

Do we know if P3D4 will play nicely alongside P3D3??
    Reason in my case is simple, I want to fly my highly tweaked and loaded P3D3 while taking on P3D4 in relatively simple steps.
    I'll eventually make the 64bit move into V4 (well, I have paid for it and downloaded) full time but I'm not inclined to struggle with additions which may need developer polishing.
    Too many other things on my plate right now!

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

That is exactly what I do. They can play along nicely together. Once something is upgraded I install it in v4, test it, and if it works I remove it from v3. I reckon that in time the v3 install will get smaller and smaller until it is phased out, just like I did with v2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    That is exactly what I do. They can play along nicely together. Once something is upgraded I install it in v4, test it, and if it works I remove it from v3. I reckon that in time the v3 install will get smaller and smaller until it is phased out, just like I did with v2.
    Thanks for the HU Dimus, a man with a plan just like me.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

V3 and V4 on one machine no problems...
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Members who have read this thread: 0