Starlifter and Galaxy Prototypes

Thread: Starlifter and Galaxy Prototypes

Starlifter and Galaxy Prototypes

I recently discovered photos of the Lockheed L300 (prototype Starlifter) and the L500 (prototype Galaxy)was wondering if anyone knows if there are FS versions of these lovely birds?

L300

L500

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L300_1.jpg   L300_2.jpg   L500_1.jpg   L500_2.jpg  

Only one's i can think of are port-over versions of the Alpha freeware model's. Look in the library for Lazarus, he did a very nice rework of the Starlifter that ive flown a few time's.

cheers ian

That Galaxy in United colors looks just wrong.
    Im wondering if these are just artistic flights of fancy or did Lockheed really develop the C-5 with one eye on civilian sale's.

Believe it or not...

According to my information, Lockheed did indeed hope to garner some commercial contracts. Time magazine featured and article with information to this effect on July 12, 1968.

Lockheed also planned a civilian version of the C-5 Galaxy, the L-500, the company designation also used for the C-5 itself. Both passenger and cargo versions of the L-500 were designed. The all-passenger version would have been able to carry up to 1,000 travelers, while the all-cargo version was predicted to be able to carry typical C-5 volume for as little as 2 cents per ton-mile (in 1967 dollars). Although some interest was expressed by carriers, no orders were placed for either L-500 version, due to operational costs caused by low fuel efficiency, a significant concern for a profit-making carrier, even before the oil crisis of the 1970's, keen competition from Boeing's 747, and high costs incurred by Lockheed in developing the C-5 and later, the L-1011 which led to the governmental rescue of the company.

Later the Galaxy was considered for the shuttle-carrier role by NASA, but rejected in favor of the 747—in part due to the 747's low-wing design in comparison to the C-5's high-wing design, and also because the U.S. Air Force would have retained ownership of the C-5, while NASA could own the 747s outright. The proposed Galaxy Carrier would have featured twin fuselages, which would have been a spectacular monster. Needless to say - they lost. This design would have been a far riskier proposition than the relatively unmodified 747- though it would have been a truly incredible sight.

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Im wondering if these are just artistic flights of fancy or did Lockheed really develop the C-5 with one eye on civilian sale's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy_SCA.jpg  

Doesn't Area51 have a C-5? May be a C-5M though.

It does but wait until it's in a sale. Your overwhelming disappointment will be offset by the sale price!

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrittMac View Post
    Doesn't Area51 have a C-5? May be a C-5M though.
    The Area51 model is the C-5M. If you are accustomed to high immersion aircraft, you may be let down. The VC is lacking to the point where I can't muster the courage to fly it.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

While not complex by any measure she is still fun to fly but anyway I did a repaint a while ago..never got round to uploading to anywhere..if there is enough interest I may or alternatively I can send it via email possibly...She was however a pain in the arse to repaint especially the rear end..took some doing with stretched textures here and there..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot1363.jpg   screenshot1365.jpg   screenshot1362.jpg   screenshot1361.jpg  

I attempted to do the same as a fun paint to the Area51 C-17 and gave up...their texture layouts are mind bending..unfortunate as would have looked cool..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot1366.jpg  

The UNited paint looks awesome,..might have a crack at both but may need help doing the polished steel alpha's..

I think that gray/white paint looks great. I've always liked that scheme.

If you upload it I'll definitely download a copy. Might even inspire me to log a few hours in the Galaxy.

PF

Thankyou
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Thanks for the MAC repaint.

It looks good on that model.

PF

My Old Unit! Thank you

You've painted one of the very aircraft I crewed back in the mid-80's at Dover AFB! Wonderful.

Thank you

Thanks from me too AB. I really don't care for the model much but as often happens.. a decent paint can lift an otherwise mediocre model out of the mire
    ATB
    DaveB

Sorry for bringing up this very old thread but can I have the livery too please for Area51 Galaxy?? The download link above requires me to sign in with Google and I am not member of Google.

Regards,

Aharon

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Sorry for bringing up this very old thread but can I have the livery too please for Area51 Galaxy?? The download link above requires me to sign in with Google and I am not member of Google.

Regards,

Aharon
    area51_c5m_liverypackv2.0fsx.zip in the AVSIM Library. Will this do, Aharon?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Members who have read this thread: 0