Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Thanks for the reminder Rick! I had just turned 17 in the April of that year too and heck it seems a long time ago now.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Your welcome Roger
    Does seem ages ago....
    My achy joints remind me everyday!

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

I was still under 2 at the time so I didn't appreciate it at the time but once I learned to read some years later, I was captivated by the truly a remarkable feat.
    i9-10900k @ 5GHz | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16 | ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G Gaming
    i7-4790k @ 4GHz | 32GB DDR3 2133MHz | AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 x64 | GeForce 552.12 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2 | FS9, FSX, FSX SE, P3D V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, FSW, XP 10.51, XP 11.55, XP 12.0.9-rc-5, AFS2, AFS4, FlyInside FS, DCS, MSFS

Define "Irony"

I was 16... and I thought it was truly amazing that we landed on the moon, and left footprints up there.

Some years later, a film was produced out of Hollywood that depicted that the moon landing was a hoax. The film was "Capricorn One" and starred among others, O.J. Simpson... who at this moment is in attendance of his Parole Hearing.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I was three years and 364 days old, and I still remember it!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I was three years and 364 days old, and I still remember it!

Happy birthday tomorrow!

Icon22 Reply...

Papab,

Thanks for the reminder; it does seem like long ago and far away; in some ways I think we've regressed since then.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

One of the most interesting links concerning the landing.....
    http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

Thanks for the link-brings back memories!

Rick

I was 7 months old but I swear - and I have done all my life - I remember this. Weird, I know.

I was just 20 and watched with my fellow soldiers in the day room while at AIT in Ft. Gordon, GA.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I was just 20 and watched with my fellow soldiers in the day room while at AIT in Ft. Gordon, GA.
    Thanks for your service Bill!

To me it really stirs up a lot of memories....

Rick

I was only 9, but my parents let me stay home from school to watch the landing. I STILL remember it. I promptly built a model of the CSM and LEM both, and hung them from the roof in my bedroom. At school, for science class, they let us build model rockets, and I build a Saturn 5. Took 4 engine to make it fly, but it was AWESOME.

Later, I went to the Cape for a manual editing meeting for my job. Got to see one of the V-2 pads, and the blockhouse for it. They had an alligator that sunned it's self on the roof above the entrance. Everybody just ignored him, and he returned the favor.
    We took lunch at the Sailor's Choice, a hole-in-the-wall burger joint, right outside the main gate, near the VAB, and right beside the viewing area that had so many in it for the Mercury through Apollo mission launches. Where the news media were placed, too. Sailor's Choice is the only topless burger joint I've ever been to! And right in the middle of our meal they launched the shuttle. Really amazing to watch, although very far away. By the time the noise got there, the shuttle was up and out of sight. Every one in the joint ran outside to watch the launch, even the waitresses...

I just wish America still had the will to explore space. Sad that we went from Mercury through Apollo in a decade, then restricted our stuff to Low Earth Orbit. Nasa, or NaySay I call them like Burt Rutan does, just turned into a bloated bureaucracy. Not worth a darn. And now they've even cancelled the shuttle. We should have moon colonies, Lagrange Stations, Asteroid mining, and so on. Instead, we have to rely on Russia's version of an Apollo CSM for a ride, to low earth orbit. No farther do we go any longer. A few robots here and there, but not many of those, even. It's just sickening, after all we accomplished in the decade of the 60's, then nothing...

Anywho, sorry. I feel strongly about all this...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

14 years old here, clearly recall watching it BBC TV with Patrick Moore & Michael Burke as enthusiastic commentators. In my minds eye it was in glorious colour even though I know it was blurry lo-res B&W. Odd how the mind works
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    I was only 9, but my parents let me stay home from school to watch the landing. I STILL remember it. I promptly built a model of the CSM and LEM both, and hung them from the roof in my bedroom. At school, for science class, they let us build model rockets, and I build a Saturn 5. Took 4 engine to make it fly, but it was AWESOME.

Later, I went to the Cape for a manual editing meeting for my job. Got to see one of the V-2 pads, and the blockhouse for it. They had an alligator that sunned it's self on the roof above the entrance. Everybody just ignored him, and he returned the favor.
    We took lunch at the Sailor's Choice, a hole-in-the-wall burger joint, right outside the main gate, near the VAB, and right beside the viewing area that had so many in it for the Mercury through Apollo mission launches. Where the news media were placed, too. Sailor's Choice is the only topless burger joint I've ever been to! And right in the middle of our meal they launched the shuttle. Really amazing to watch, although very far away. By the time the noise got there, the shuttle was up and out of sight. Every one in the joint ran outside to watch the launch, even the waitresses...

I just wish America still had the will to explore space. Sad that we went from Mercury through Apollo in a decade, then restricted our stuff to Low Earth Orbit. Nasa, or NaySay I call them like Burt Rutan does, just turned into a bloated bureaucracy. Not worth a darn. And now they've even cancelled the shuttle. We should have moon colonies, Lagrange Stations, Asteroid mining, and so on. Instead, we have to rely on Russia's version of an Apollo CSM for a ride, to low earth orbit. No farther do we go any longer. A few robots here and there, but not many of those, even. It's just sickening, after all we accomplished in the decade of the 60's, then nothing...

Anywho, sorry. I feel strongly about all this...
    Pat☺
    Well said Pat!
    +1

Rick

Blog Entries
    I read the details in the Stars and Stripes while vacationing at government expense in beautiful but wet, slimy, and dangerous Vietnam! I have seen the replays many times since then.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Ted,
    Thank you for your service !
    Rick

Members who have read this thread: 0