SSW PA200 "TORNADO" FOR P3D V4 (x64) HAS BEEN PUBLISHED - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSW PA200 "TORNADO" FOR P3D V4 (x64) HAS BEEN PUBLISHED

Blog Entries
    Well, I finally, after three tries, found the spot on SSW's website that sent be to the texture downloads. I downloaded and installed the textures. Now none of the switches work. I when I click on them nothing moves. Same for the throttles. I guess I will try and reinstall the aircraft for the third time. SSW sent me a key after I bought it, but I haven't installed it yet. Could that be the cause?

This airplane has me flummoxed. I have over 3000 hours in real aircraft, including high-performance fighters and bombers, as well as GA aircraft. I have 20 years flying flight sim aircraft. Yet, this one aircraft has been one frustration after another. I know I am not as excited about computers as I use to be. (I want things to just work and not have to be challenged to get them to work) Still, I find this experience to be very frustrating.

Sorry for the rant.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I have the same problem with the F-84 and the AV-8B...and it is very frustrating.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Well, I finally, after three tries, found the spot on SSW's website that sent be to the texture downloads. I downloaded and installed the textures. Now none of the switches work. I when I click on them nothing moves. Same for the throttles. I guess I will try and reinstall the aircraft for the third time. SSW sent me a key after I bought it, but I haven't installed it yet. Could that be the cause?
    John, yes.
    I described it here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1106334 in 5 steeps installation process. This is activation file (to registry). Obligatory for user to do all instruments, gauges, switches alive after buying. Its a kind of security reasons (hardware-print on system where SSW Tornado IDS was installed).

Whole process of installation is described on SSW website (I think better to spend those 10 minutes to read it to not be disappointed later ):
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/i...all-for-p3d-v4

Still learning:

I noticed two bugs with NAV lights and FLAPS to DWN position in P3Dv4, Im waiting for confirmation of SSW but this Tonka gives me a lot of fun! Great model with a lot of functions.
    Last edited by YoYo; October 10th, 2017 at 11:09.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

GR.1 over UK.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

YoYo, your pics are almost making me buy this plane
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Very bad weater Todays morning over UK. Its a good time to ride with Terrain Following Radar system "ON" on 300 ft.

Cold and Dark start (visual tutorial) in P3Dv4.1:

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post

This airplane has me flummoxed. I have over 3000 hours in real aircraft, including high-performance fighters and bombers, as well as GA aircraft. I have 20 years flying flight sim aircraft. Yet, this one aircraft has been one frustration after another. I know I am not as excited about computers as I use to be. (I want things to just work and not have to be challenged to get them to work) Still, I find this experience to be very frustrating.

Sorry for the rant.
    If anyone asked if the SSW models are "easy" the answer is NO, they were made to be as close to reality as possible and many design decisions are unconventional (like the fact that all more-than-2-states switches must be operated with mouse wheel).
    But many agree that the feeling is "full immersive" once they are learned.
    If you are a real pilot as you say (I am also with over 3000 hours of flight and about 2000 with the Starfighter) then you know you can not go near an airplane, kick off tires to see if they are swollen, and then take off.
    You know for sure that you need to know it and also know the flight manual very well, otherwise you will not live long.
    It is true that SSW models are not easy and are not for everyone, but are distributed with all the necessary documentation, flight manuals, checklists, tutorials, etc. it's about reading them.
    In the Tornado case, the user manual is online, mantained updated and can be viewed from the inside of the simulator.
    Also there is good support service through the help desk, I wonder why instead of complaining on this forum you have not used it to clarify your ideas.
    The fact that others, like YoYO, are using it with satisfaction, should cause you some doubt about.

Sincerely
    SSW
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

The activation key must be installed in your registry for the aircraft to operate properly. You can access the "Tornado Tablet" as a popup window. This has most of the info needed to get started. This aircraft is neither simple nor easy and requires that you do your homework before you can operate it at even a poor level. I do wish that the rear cockpit was complete so that I could have a RIO or BN. A second person in the "Pit" would drastically reduce the workload.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SSW1 View Post
    If anyone asked if the SSW models are "easy" the answer is NO, they were made to be as close to reality as possible and many design decisions are unconventional (like the fact that all more-than-2-states switches must be operated with mouse wheel).
    But many agree that the feeling is "full immersive" once they are learned.
    If you are a real pilot as you say (I am also with over 3000 hours of flight and about 2000 with the Starfighter)....
    The fact that others, like YoYO, are using it with satisfaction, should cause you some doubt about.

Sincerely
    SSW
    Some things are left better unsaid. I am quite aware of what it takes to know how to fly a high-performance aircraft. I am also aware that in RW flying you don't have to jump through hoops just to get the aircraft. I used to look on the board to see which tail number and location. I either walked out or road the truck/van/bus to the aircraft, There it was. I didn't have to arrange for the paint job before finding the aircraft. If I needed to show my license, medical, etc. that was told to me ahead of time, not when I walked up to the airplane to find none of the switches worked.

If you do have 2000 hours in the F-104, you well know that the difference between an actual high-performance aircraft and a desktop simulator is like comparing a child's tricycle with a racing motor bike. There is no way a desktop simulator ( at least in my lifetime) will ever approach an actual fighter. For one, we never had to hunt and search with a mouse for a switch. We rarely needed (accept for things like dialing in radio channels) to look down. We knew where it was and found it by feel. If anything, a quick glance down confirmed it was the right switch. There was no head in the cockpit trying to set something with a mouse. Then the seat of the pants flying. In the sim we are always behind the aircraft, reacting to it. We can't tell by kentic senses in a desktop sim that we are climbing, descending, or pulling two Gs in the break. We have to look at the altimeter, VVI, or G-meter. I could go on but you have the idea.

As for fidelity of systems, I can't say for sure since I haven't activated the aircraft yet However, it seems from a quick reading of the manual that not all of the systems work, or work fully. True fidelity of all systems is not important to me. Went I went through RTU for the F-4, it was a six month program. The first month or so were strictly systems academics. The same or more for the B-52. Heck, it takes you two full weeks just to learn the fuel system of a B-52. Not many simmers will spend a month reading manuals and learning systems. Usually, by that time they have gone through six different aircraft. So, please don't preach to me about reading manuals.

My complains were not about the systems or the fidelity to the real Tornado. They were about how darn hard it was to get the airplane up and running. You hide the link to the textures to one little HERE in the middle of a paragraph, on a page that reads like a technical manual itself. (My opinion) I am aware of NO other developer that breaks its initial download into two parts. Even LM allows you to download the entire program in one download, and they have all the needed files on ONE download page. The point here is that convenience is one of the biggest reasons for buying or NOT buying something, be it a gallon of milk or an add-on to a simulator. The wise vendor makes it as easy as possible for a potential buyer to purchase his/her product. Make people jump through hoops to buy something and they will often just not buy.

Lastly, I complained on here because it was "convenient" YoYo had already started the thread. I use developer's forums as a last resort. Most of them make you jump through hoops to sign up, due to fear of giving a non-buyer advice. Go on AVSIM, Fkighsim.com, here or any other large flight sim forum and you will find many many threads asking for support on this add-on or another. Some sites have separate forums for major players like Carenado. Why do so many go to third party forums than the developer's forum? My guess is the convenience word again. Why jump through hoops to get an answer when I can ask here?

SSW, I bought this aircraft to support you. I often buy things I know I may not use to help developers. I am fortunate that I have the money and I see it as a way of giving back to the community. Sort of like donating each year to keep SOH running. The Tornado was the first aircraft that really interested me. I have not asked for a refund. The plane sits on my ssd unused. One day, I may get around to activating and flying it. I am sure I will enjoy the aircraft after getting it to work.

Unfortunately for both of us, I probably will never buy another add-on from SSW. I do know my way around flight sim aircraft. I do have those hours flying in the real world. And, I have never before bought an add-on that was so complicated to get and to work.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Unfortunately for both of us, I probably will never buy another add-on from SSW. I do know my way around flight sim aircraft. I do have those hours flying in the real world. And, I have never before bought an add-on that was so complicated to get and to work.
    Complicated is an opinion, if "complicated" you mean
    - download 2 installers
    - follow simple instructions and enter a mail and an order number
    - wait for the activation key and double-click on it
    then it is complicated, but often we consider complicated what we are not used to do since we don't know it.
    For me complicated is something that is difficult to do even if you know it , if you do not know it because you did not even want to read simple instructions is not complicated is "unknown" and pretending to bend the software to your lack of knowledge is an useless exercise doomed to fail.
    If this prevents you from buying other add-ons from us, will make us a reason, make all happy is an utopia, we will survive even without you.
    warm regards
    /Mario

This Tornado looks interesting. Question: Does this aircraft have condensation appear when pulling hard along with vortices? And are the aircrew using British helmets? The ones like the Tornado crews do? The last question is rather silly I know but please humor me lol. I would really like to purchase this when I return home from my deployment. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool View Post
    This Tornado looks interesting. Question: Does this aircraft have condensation appear when pulling hard along with vortices? And are the aircrew using British helmets? The ones like the Tornado crews do? The last question is rather silly I know but please humor me lol. I would really like to purchase this when I return home from my deployment. Thank you in advance.
    Hi,
    answers are both "no".
    Admittely the model want replicate the IDS version, we make a "fictional" GR1 to satisfy some users request, so you can see GR1 fuselage and liveries but cockpit, systems, etc are those of IDS.
    regards
    /SSW

Quote Originally Posted by Tool View Post
    And are the aircrew using British helmets? The ones like the Tornado crews do?
    See this kinds of helmets:

but see this option wasnt finished .
    I think You talk about this kind: https://youtu.be/taQgHNF2g4s?t=2m58s .

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    See this kinds of helmets:

but see this option wasnt finished .
    I think You talk about this kind: https://youtu.be/taQgHNF2g4s?t=2m58s .
    The helmet used in the model is the HGU-55/G (both used by the italian (AMI) and german airforce)

The second one in the Helmet select screen is the HGU-33/P, but IIRC these are never used on the tornado...(maybe in the beginning of the transition in the AMI from F-104 to Tornado?)

The RAF tornado crew uses the Alpha Mk.10A

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm purchasing the Tornado anyway. Got 50 days until I go home.

Demo of Terrain Following Radar (TFR) function:

Blog Entries
    Any support for this in P3DV4?

I've reinstalled everything in the correct sequence, and Panda loads, but the configurator errors out, and eventually (longest was 2 full pattern cycles) the sim will CTD. Also, if I take the throttles to zero on my stick, it'll act like the throttles went to cutoff and shuts the plane down completely.

I'd really like to get this going to enjoy Manchy's superb scenery, and I find the JF Tornado (demo version) too severely impacts my fps - I assume the full version is no better.

thanks,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Any support for this in P3DV4?

I've reinstalled everything in the correct sequence, and Panda loads, but the configurator errors out, and eventually (longest was 2 full pattern cycles) the sim will CTD. Also, if I take the throttles to zero on my stick, it'll act like the throttles went to cutoff and shuts the plane down completely.

I'd really like to get this going to enjoy Manchy's superb scenery, and I find the JF Tornado (demo version) too severely impacts my fps - I assume the full version is no better.

thanks,

dl
    Hey DL, I'm not at all pleased with this (or anything SSW) as when I load it in P3Dv4 it sort of 'flies' but the rudder is locked left, the right elevator is locked up, and it is stubbornly refusing to react to any corrections.

I tend to take the view that 'Complicated' to fly is fair enough but 'Complication' for the sake of 'Complication' is just bloody mindedness!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 10