Upgrading Mobo and CPU? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading Mobo and CPU?

I also am running P3dv4 on an older Win 7 x64 Pro system and it is working very well. Far better than my FSX installation, that's for sure.
    I consistently get between 20 and 25 FPS and I haven't tried any tweaks yet, so it's just a plain vanilla installation so far.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    I don't understand your problem with Windows 7. I'm running P3D 4 on my Win 7 64bit system with no problems at all. I have this-

Probably because everything about your system is faster. . .Core Speed, CPU (Type & Speed), memory (much better and faster).
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by DagR View Post
    Whatever you decide to do, do not buy an AMD CPU.
    Ideally an Intel i7-6700 will give you great performance.
    An SSD drive is also great to have for the OS and sim.
    Disagree. I have built countless comps for people and done many with AMD. I have no issues with AMD what so ever. I even use AMD vid cards and avoid that whole insane Nhancer mess with no issues. My 8 core AMD running at 4.5Ghz runs FSX just fine. No glitches at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Hdguy View Post
    Disagree. I have built countless comps for people and done many with AMD. I have no issues with AMD what so ever. I even use AMD vid cards and avoid that whole insane Nhancer mess with no issues. My 8 core AMD running at 4.5Ghz runs FSX just fine. No glitches at all...

Never used nhancer, whatever that's good for. I have had plenty a taste of amd/ati graphics cards and a couple of amd cpus and they never stayed for long. The thrusty i7-860 I had before my current i7-6700K, purchased last year, lasted from 2009 up until then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryzen seems to be a different beast altogether, although I have no hands-on experience yet.

Blog Entries
    Before the advent of Ryzen the AMD cores have been pretty ho-hum. Lately I have been testing Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 (1700 and 1800) on the Asus ThreadRipper motherboard. As with any new product they are a little buggy but so far for gaming the benchmarks are a little less than i7 6600k. I think AMD has finally done a winner, not better than Intel but certainly closer to equal than in the past. It used to be that 4.5 GHz in AMD was equal to 3.5GHz in speed to Intel...now the match is evening up and the graphics details are outstanding. And if you are a developer Ryzen's 8 cores and 16 threads are built to handle multi-core task like video production, modelling and streaming much faster. The great thing about Ryzen being around is that it has brought the prices of Intel down significantly and has forced Intel to continue past Kabylake CPUs a little sooner.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Couldn't agree more Ted!
    Bang for buck the new AMD generation look really good, especially when the A$ is still pretty ordinary.
    Not that I'd rush out and buy an AMD box just yet but if it gives Intel a wake up call then thats a very good thing.
    Come to think of it, I am going to put together a PC for Sofie (she's fallen out of love with her iPad!) as a daily driver, and this might be a good Ryzen experiment.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Hey All,

I posted sometime ago about Ryzen as I was and am going to build a computer. I did not do anything then as I had to spend a bunch of money on my daughters wedding and then 2 weeks plus in Montana all on Canadian pesos.

Now I am back to it. Since then there has been talk of improved - faster I hope - ryzen2 cpus next year which supposedly will use the current am4 mobos. So maybe ryzen now with CPU upgrade in the future?

But to muddy waters the x299 Intel's (kabylake x and skylake x) are out with apparently issues like dongles for raid arrays. I really like the looks of the coming next month x299 mitx from a asrock. The x299s look like powerful somewhat futureproof cpus but not cheap.

So what to do?

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Good thing about ryzen is they're ALL unlocked for overclock. Hopefully intel follows along in the next generation.

Also their overclock enabled motherboards (B350 at least) aren't expensive like intel Z chipsets.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    This is only a what if scenario right now because I know it will be expensive and I'm not into "expensive" right now. I just want some opinions on what will work within my current tower.

My current Motherboard is an MSI760G-E51
    My current CPU is a 3.90Ghz FX-4300 Quad-Core

I'm currently running 16Gig of Memory.

For those who remember, this is the Computer that was built with donations from everyone here at SOH after my previous system was fried. . .hook, line and sinker. I don't even remember how long ago that was but it has been many, many years ago now. It has been a great system, but P3D_V4 has shown it to be lacking and if I intend to continue at all I'll have to bite the bullet and improve on what I have or go back to FSX and be content with that.

So any opinions will be appreciated.

Four years ago actually:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Falcon-409-MB
    My previous system, with an Intel i7-860, lasted from 2009-2016 and the wife still uses it for photo editing :-) Go Intel :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 0