Bomg damaged buildings for the day after raids.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bomg damaged buildings for the day after raids.

Bomg damaged buildings for the day after raids.

I am wondering if anyone knows how to produce smoking damaged buildings so one can have them either in the gsls or facilities for the after effects of bombing. Seems a bit strange to fly over an untouched city after a heavy raid; London. Rhur, Hamburgs. Berlin, etc. Clive and Joost come to mind!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I am wondering if anyone knows how to produce smoking damaged buildings so one can have them either in the gsls or facilities for the after effects of bombing. Seems a bit strange to fly over an untouched city after a heavy raid; London. Rhur, Hamburgs. Berlin, etc. Clive and Joost come to mind!
    Hi James,

This has crossed my mind in the past. It's a lot of work though as you need the undamaged facility as well as the damaged version. But to do it in the way I had in mind you need to ditch all of that autogen rubbish and replace all of the villages, towns and cities with facility files which is a mind blowing amount of work.

I did make a start but real life in in the way:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ighlight=towns

I'm favouring waiting for WoTR and it'll all be there done for us!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

OK I'll check out your BoB stuff. I could add WOFF but no good for others who don't have it. Of course with the ACC City Blocks to which I have added fire, smoke, etc., we have the moment of damage as well as undamaged but no post damage. I suppose just making some "smoke" spawns or something that would be better than nothing,

WOFF and WOTR

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    Hi James,

This has crossed my mind in the past. It's a lot of work though as you need the undamaged facility as well as the damaged version. But to do it in the way I had in mind you need to ditch all of that autogen rubbish and replace all of the villages, towns and cities with facility files which is a mind blowing amount of work.

I did make a start but real life in in the way:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ighlight=towns

I'm favouring waiting for WoTR and it'll all be there done for us!
    Hi Clive,just wondering is WOTR the terrain version?
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by alcanallen View Post
    Hi Clive,just wondering is WOTR the terrain version?
    John.
    "Wings over the Reich" - the rework of WOFF back to WW2 (by the same team).

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Clive taking this further in the sense of using your BoB install in to my ETO+TOW install for Era1's and maybe 2's. I am using your BoB gsl for tow1 era and therefore adding your
    airfields_Luftwaffe
    airfields_RAF
    buildings and facilities where not in ETO
    vehicles

What else? I am looking at assets folder and wondering if I should add what's not in ETO but do I have to delete zx files and anything else?

Then I can add ACC city blocks to the gsl

I am assuming identical airfields with other ETO eras doesn't matter if not in the relevant gsl?

What do you think?

Blog Entries
    Clive taking this further in the sense of using your BoB install in to my ETO+TOW install for Era1's and maybe 2's. I am using your BoB gsl for tow1 era and therefore adding your
    airfields_Luftwaffe
    airfields_RAF
    buildings and facilities where not in ETO
    vehicles

What else? I am looking at assets folder and wondering if I should add what's not in ETO but do I have to delete zx files and anything else?

Then I can add ACC city blocks to the gsl

I am assuming identical airfields with other ETO eras doesn't matter if not in the relevant gsl?

What do you think?
    It's been a while but you will need: the GSL, facilities, airfields Luftwaffe and RAF plus their object files plus any buildings and vehicles not in ETO.
    You may want to check the city blocks to see if they call up any effects files not in ETO either, I'm pretty sure they don't.

It won't hurt to delete .zx and bdp files too.

There may be some other stuff you can use on the FTP in the "Combat Flight Simulator BoB" folder.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Going back to damage effects the day after; I just realized that we have such thins as "Fire_Smoke_Large" etc., which, even if not showing actual building damage, could be added to missions as facilities in even ACC city blocks. Should work?

I would think so

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

OK I'm beefing up and changing existing facilities to make more realistic smoke after either a night raid or a preceding one the same day. The problem is than it doesn't show up far enough away to actually guide one to the area. One has to be practically on top of the effects. This also has it's uses but I would like to see smoke from a long distance; as one can see could from quite far out. Ideas??

This effect has the longest visibility range I could make work reliably.

http://http://www.sim-outhouse.com/s...1&linkid=21958

Like clouds, I assume the game engine is trying to prevent bogging everything down by not displaying every effect out to relatively large distances.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

This effect has the longest visibility range I could make work reliably.

http://http://www.sim-outhouse.com/s...1&linkid=21958

Like clouds, I assume the game engine is trying to prevent bogging everything down by not displaying every little effect out to relatively large distances.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

So forgetting the atomic blast ( I assume) how about the mushroom cloud? How far out could one see that and what/where was the effect(s) file/lines?

SOH-CM-2020
    You might need to ensure your config and budgets xml files are set to allow detail to be rendered at distances?

You have examples?

Max distance is set at 30,000. The effect components themselves range in size from 1,500 up to 15,000.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    You might need to ensure your config and budgets xml files are set to allow detail to be rendered at distances?
    I don't know of anything in either of those files that would control the max visibility distance of effects. Like the clouds, I believe that's hard coded into the game engine. The clouds go out about 8-10 miles, and that seems to be where the effects visibility gets cut off.

The view distance is measured from the center of the effect. The atom bomb ground effects (fire and smoke) are big enough that they pop into view when you're not all that far from their outer edges. Breaking them up into a dispersed area of smaller effects would let them appear more progressively.

When I was working on the contrails I ran into similar issues with the max view distance cutting them off, even though their particle lifetime had not expired yet.

Also, you do need to have the particle count set pretty high if you're going to have long duration effects, because the oldest will eventually get flushed from the queue as new effects get triggered. I have mine set at 2,000,000.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Are your A bomb effects/other files uploaded somewhere?

The link was included in posts #11, and #12.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Couldn't load those links! Tried before.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks! That worked!

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    I don't know of anything in either of those files that would control the max visibility distance of effects. Like the clouds, I believe that's hard coded into the game engine. The clouds go out about 8-10 miles, and that seems to be where the effects visibility gets cut off.
    OK, thanks MajorMagee so are you saying that effects are hard-coded as opposed to some of the scenery rendering? I was reading something about scenery rendering in the aircraft container SDK. I don't have it in hand, but it was saying that there is some sort of scenery level entry in the xdp file for facilities(?) or buildings(?) which can decide how far away to allow the structures to render - up to a figure of 64 kilometers. Possible entry numbers include -1,1 etc to 64.

So for big structures like a burning town, at least the buildings can be tweaked to be seen a long way off. Pity that the matching effects don't seem to be able to be seen so far away.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...58#post1096858

See post #82 for the calculation of ring distances.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Have to try that. That thread seriously need to be sorted into part of the knowledge sticky; along with "this could be interesting" (Ankor)!

Members who have read this thread: 0