23 views......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 23 views......

23 views......

That's what i mostly keep seeing when checking the Prepar3D forum each day....

Are we really this tiny little group of simmers that have seen the light ??... Can't believe that really...

Aircraft compatibility in Prepar3D V4

Started by roger-wilco-66, June 4th, 2017 09:05 1 2 3 ... 7

• Replies: 150
    • Views: 17,142

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    That's what i mostly keep seeing when checking the Prepar3D forum each day....
    Are we really this tiny little group of simmers that have seen the light ??... Can't believe that really...
    Yep, folks continue to go to the FSX Forum for questions and answers because this forum is slow to answer many times.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Aircraft compatibility in Prepar3D V4
    Started by roger-wilco-66, June 4th, 2017 09:05
    1 2 3 ... 7

Replies: 150
    • Views: 17,142

The exception for obvious reasons. This is active due to folks adding aircraft as they are tested or released so it does show a lot more activity. As a general rule though, people are more inclined to pass this forum up and go to the FSX side when looking for a quick answer. (Much to the disdain of FSX purists, lol).

Current System Specs:

Hey, it's better than the X-Plane and FSW forums.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Over 6,000 views in V4 screen shots although not any post for a while. Keep those shots coming. I believe that most of us enjoy them.

i see this forum picking up steam as time goes on. I have found V4 so much superior that I haven't used FSX in a while.

It is certainly busier than in previous years. I reckon people come here from the argueing forums to get information from some of the great compatibility and other tech threads generated here at SOH and then, having got some good info disappear whence they came.

I won't have v4 'til probably end of the year, but if staff and members post news etc, it will grow faster, like when SOH got it's first civvie sim (Fs8) and Ed (Panther) and I posted furiously to warrant Tek's decision to open a non-combat sim forum and the fruits of course are here to be seen
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Thanks for your 'views' guys...

Actually i didn't word this thread correctly, it should've been '23 viewing' , you know, the number of current viewers of a forum as can be seen on the opening page. Commonly this number sits around 150/200 for the FSX forum. Not sure about the P3D forum *before* v4 came charging down like lightning out of a blue sky, but i don't think i have ever seen a number higher than 35 regarding the P3D forum *after* v4's release.

Ok, still no satisfactory ATC yet and i might still see a few micro stutters here and there but otherwise isn't P3Dv4 the ultimate flightsimulator we have always dreamed about ?... Waaaaay ahead of atleast FSX and P3Dv3 ! I have to admit that i was pretty much on my way to kind of loose interest in the 'flying part' of FSX. I'd buy the umpteenth great new Orbx scenery only to be annoyed by the constant popping in and out of sharp/blurry ground textures and don't talk about ground textures in the distance to begin with. Usually pea soup.

And what can give you more sense of flying than flying over a big city at, say, 2000 ft agl. I might've bought every add-on detailed big city but usually only one try was enough to realize that it's nothing but another annoying slide show again, with Drzewiecky New York X as the worst, even after the patch and most sliders gently shoved to the left. No fun what so ever. While the scenery itself looked totally amazing of course ! I remember thinking " yeah, yeah, only in our dreams are we going to enjoy virtually flying over such an extremely complex scenery without it being just another slide show" .

Well, certainly, in MY flightsimming book, this dream has miraculously come true afterall ! And not by having to buy a new monster system but simply by installing P3Dv4 ! All of a sudden no more popping in and out of blurry ground textures, everything's sharp as a razor up until the horizon, even when flying a jet at 500 knots low level. What a joy !

And i couldn't believe what i saw after installing the new P3Dv4 compatible Drzewiecky NYCX scenery. Ok, i'm still dreaming...

A screenshot doesn't mean a lot but just imagine this view rolling by at an (almost) stutterfree and average 30 fps. And also take notice of the background... Peasoup ?? Not in this sim anymore ! For once you can SEE where you're heading !

I mean, these are just a few observations why i don't understand that average (23 viewing) next to the P3D forum that much. I sure don't mean to put anyone to expenses but this is not your average FS upgrade like we've come to know so well during a quarter of century of flightsimming (i.e. get your wallet out and buy a new system in the first place). P3Dv4 (with inclusion of Orbx scenery) goes waaay beyond of what we hoped FSXI would deliver. Compared to FSX i even dare say that with P3Dv4 we are not merely 10 years ahead but possible even 20 ! Catch up if you can ! ( and why wait for that personal special aircraft model to be compatible with P3Dv4. Take any default aircraft and fly the wings off of it, extremely enjoyable ! )

Well, i just think this new P3Dv4 flightsimulator is the bees knees, the 'Mother Of All Flightsims' , the ultimate flightsimmers dream come true, etc and so on. Let's get that 'viewing number' up to average 100 for starters. It certainly deserves it !!

Cheers,
    Jan

Jan, you must have a very nice system to get a screen like that. Currently my V4 is running no differently than V3.+. Plenty of stuttering, blurry textures that eventually quit loading all together and fps that average in the teens if I try to lock it to 20 or 30fps. If I set it to unlimited, I do get higher fps, but it only contributes to the stuttering because it is constantly hitting the highs and lows on the fps scale. Pretty disheartening really.

Current System Specs:

27 Viewing right now Jan

Although as you stated, FSX has a much greater number at 154 right now. TBH I have never even noticed those figures before. I do think that the post and view rate has increased a great deal in the P3D forum since the introduction of P3D V4. I am yet to install the new P3D, although I have purchased and downloaded it. I am looking forward to testing it out, although I don't know what to expect in terms of performance, as I have read many mixed results. I do know I will try to keep it pretty clean; ie install only P3D V4 compatible addons. I will still have P3D v3 and FSX:SE installed for any incompatible addons (and Aerofly and DCS World and.....) ... and I need more spare time .

That NYC looks great. I do hope it is improved this much on my machine too. I never had much luck with it before, with black textures, blurries etc. We will see....

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Jan, you must have a very nice system to get a screen like that.
    Well, it's 3 years old, Ed, and i'd say mid-class by now, certainly not high-end (anymore.. ;-) (i *did* upgrade the vid card recently). i7-4960X @ 3.60GHz (12 CPUs) ; 16GB RAM ; GTX1070 4GB ; W7Pro/64 ; 30" monitor @ 2560x1600.

I was quite pleased with how it ran FSX ( DX10 plus shaders fix) despite the annoying popping in/out blurry/sharp ground textures and autogen. And no-fly zone over detailed big cities and around detailed major airports of course. Happy with hauling pax with the DC-3 to/from smaller cities/airports anyway.

I literally fell off of my pilot seat during initially flights in P3Dv4. Where i got used to average fps of around 25/30 with FSX i saw the fps counter go up to 60 and higher in P3Dv4 (Ok, default, no Orbx stuff yet). Flying over a default big city like Istanbul at 1500 ft returns 30/35 fps from within the VC and 40/45 fps in spot view. The sheer beauty here is the razor sharpness of the ground textures (and that STAY sharp !) giving real meaning to the autogen.

What i do see with Drzewiecki Miami, Washington and NYC (average 30/35 fps) is popping up of building textures when panning around. So there's still work to do ( i believe having more than 8GB RAM used to be a waste regarding FSX but what about P3Dv4 ??.... Could it be that things have changed dramatically here too ??.... )

Currently my V4 is running no differently than V3.+. Plenty of stuttering, blurry textures that eventually quit loading all together and fps that average in the teens if I try to lock it to 20 or 30fps. If I set it to unlimited, I do get higher fps, but it only contributes to the stuttering because it is constantly hitting the highs and lows on the fps scale. Pretty disheartening really.
    Fully understandable! Very remarkable too that non of the suggestions regarding a possible solution seem to have worked, Ed... With such deplorable results running P3Dv4 one would tend to think it's not really the sim settings but more like a hardware matter... ? ( mind you, just a wild guess, i am far from a computer expert..)

Actually my experience with P3Dv4 sofar is that i only noticed a real significant dip in performance checking this 'Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation'. So that's deffinately Off. Changing stuff in the Scenery Objects Menu from f.i. Dense to Extremely Dense doesn't seem to mean that very much regarding performance. That's why i have them all at Extremely Dense except 'Autogen Draw Distance' which is set at High.

I hope you'll find the solution for your P3Dv4 performance issues, Ed. You should deffinately see a much better performance compared to FSX or P3Dv3 with your system as well !

Good Luck!

cheers,
    Jan

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I scan the SOH FSX forum very frequently. I have made the switch from FSX to P3D, but the sims are similar enough that I find a wealth of information in the FSX forum. (Once in a while I may be able to pass along a tidbit of mine)

[QUOTE=scotth6;1092240]27 Viewing right now Jan

Yup, i even saw a 37 a couple hours ago....

Although as you stated, FSX has a much greater number at 154 right now. TBH I have never even noticed those figures before. I do think that the post and view rate has increased a great deal in the P3D forum since the introduction of P3D V4.
    I was on the verge of deffinately changing from FSX to P3Dv3 but i did not frequent the P3D forum that much yet..

I am yet to install the new P3D, although I have purchased and downloaded it. I am looking forward to testing it out, although I don't know what to expect in terms of performance..
    If all goes well better fasten your seatbelt, Scott, or you might end up on the floor.. It's our beloved FSX on steroids, for real !

..as I have read many mixed results. I do know I will try to keep it pretty clean; ie install only P3D V4 compatible addons.
    Best to check it out straight from the box first. Only v4 compatible stuff is the way to go too. Very good post about that by PMDG's Robert Randazzo over at Avsim.

I will still have P3D v3 and FSX:SE installed for any incompatible addons
    Not for long you won't, Scott... Once you have a taste of P3Dv4 you simply don't care about incompatible add-ons anymore.. Mark my words.. ;-)

That NYC looks great. I do hope it is improved this much on my machine too. I never had much luck with it before, with black textures, blurries etc. We will see....
    Exactly my experience. Complete waste of money. Couldn't believe what i saw after installing it in P3Dv4 ! Good chance you'll have the same experience, Scott ! And what experience it is !

cheers,
    jan

I just installed ASP4 and ASCA, and my frame rates went up versus the default weather. I'm loving P3D4!

Most of the P3D crowd hangs out at AVSIM I think.
    -JB

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    I just installed ASP4 and ASCA, and my frame rates went up versus the default weather. I'm loving P3D4!
    Me too ! Even without any clouds/weather add-on ! ;-)

I have always used REX in FSX ( Essentials i seem to remember it was called..;-). Now i read about REX's P3Dv4 upgrades and Sky Force 3D.

Never used Active Sky nore ASCA (cloud textures, right ? )

What would be your advice, go for ASP4/ASCA now or wait for Sky Force 3D ?..

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Jan

( btw anyone else's advice regarding clouds/weather add-on is very welcome too naturally )

. . . . .
    Fully understandable! Very remarkable too that non of the suggestions regarding a possible solution seem to have worked, Ed... With such deplorable results running P3Dv4 one would tend to think it's not really the sim settings but more like a hardware matter... ? ( mind you, just a wild guess, i am far from a computer expert..)

I hope you'll find the solution for your P3Dv4 performance issues, Ed. You should definitely see a much better performance compared to FSX or P3Dv3 with your system as well !

Good Luck!
    cheers,
    Jan
    V4 has been shutdown for the time being. I've gone back to flying FSX which is actually smoother. I have no idea why this has happened. . .my best V4 was while I was using Win10, however that OS restricted my use of SBX and a few other scenery building programs and so I had a choice of no longer producing scenery or enjoying a smooth V4 experience. I chose the Scenery, mainly because I don't fly near as much as I used to (5hrs a day, almost 7 days a week up til about 2008. . .then less than 2 hours, 2 or 3 days a weeks since.).

Unfortunately since rolling back to Win7, V4 has gone into the can and not enjoyable at all so FSX is the go-to Sim now.

SPECS:
    Processor: 3.90 gigahertz AMD FX -4300 Quad-Core
    192 kilobyte primary memory cache
    16Gig RAM
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Drives:
    2613.51 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    1922.97 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Display:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970_4Gig [Display adapter]
    AOC 2343 [Monitor] (23.1"vis)
    Jean JT229x6 [Monitor] (22.0"vis)

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    Most of the P3D crowd hangs out at AVSIM I think.
    Me thinks so too... Most topics generate endless pages of replies. Strange, ain't it.... Avsim is the messroom of contemporary airline pilots while we here at SOH are more inclined to take to the virtual skies in a vintage propliner or GA or militairy aeroplane. More or less relatively low and slow, something P3Dv4 is particularly suited for. Not so much long haul flights in one of these tubes like f.i., London-New York. Although i've read that P3Dv4 comes in very handy here as well regarding OOM and VAS.

Still, difference between P3Dv4 talk between our P3D forum and Avsim's is rather significant. Let's try and change that around a bit.

Cheers,
    jan

What would be your advice, go for ASP4/ASCA now or wait for Sky Force 3D ?..

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Jan

( btw anyone else's advice regarding clouds/weather add-on is very welcome too naturally )
    I never tried REX's weather engine, though I did love Soft Clouds. I went with ActiveSky Evolution years ago on recommendations, and have stuck with HiFi ever since. I would have been happy to use Soft Clouds (would have been a free upgrade!) with ASP4, but went with AS Cloud Art because they were designed to work together. ASCA changes cloud textures on the fly, not sure about SF3D. SF3D looked awesome on that year-old video, but haven't heard anything since. Do ASCA clouds look as good as that REX video? No, but I haven't started experimenting with the cloud textures, and that video was likely made with the best conditions possible for the sneak peek.

I'm fiercely loyal, so can't really offer an objective opinion. I'm happy, though. If you're a patient man, you can wait it out.

Pat

Edited: I just got caught in a major thunderstorm. Wind shear destroyed my Texan, but the clouds looked superb.
    Last edited by patful; July 18th, 2017 at 09:31.

V4 has been shutdown for the time being. I've gone back to flying FSX which is actually smoother.
    Well, that's very unfortunate, Ed. You know, it should really be the other way around. You should see a very significant difference in performance between FSX and P3Dv4 on the same system leaving FSX way behind.

So i figure you don't see any difference in FSX performance after you changed back from W10 to W7 ?..... If that's true you could rule out the culprit being your system, right ?

I have no idea why this has happened. . .my best V4 was while I was using Win10, however that OS restricted my use of SBX and a few other scenery building programs and so I had a choice of no longer producing scenery or enjoying a smooth V4 experience. I chose the Scenery, mainly because I don't fly near as much as I used to (5hrs a day, almost 7 days a week up til about 2008. . .then less than 2 hours, 2 or 3 days a weeks since.).
    Same here. Slowly but steadily my main interest in flightsimming shifted from 'flying' to producing stuff. During the last couple weeks that has drastically changed though ! I must've flown my precious flightsimulator probabely more during the last month compared to the whole passed year !

I hope you will be able to enjoy P3Dv4 sooner or later too, Ed. ( it couldn't have anything to do with the two monitors that you use, right ?... )

cheers,
    Jan

Me thinks so too... Most topics generate endless pages of replies. Strange, ain't it.... Avsim is the messroom of contemporary airline pilots while we here at SOH are more inclined to take to the virtual skies in a vintage propliner or GA or militairy aeroplane. More or less relatively low and slow, something P3Dv4 is particularly suited for. Not so much long haul flights in one of these tubes like f.i., London-New York. Although i've read that P3Dv4 comes in very handy here as well regarding OOM and VAS.

Still, difference between P3Dv4 talk between our P3D forum and Avsim's is rather significant. Let's try and change that around a bit.

Cheers,
    jan
    Just as a comparison, I posted a request for ideas concerning an upgrade for my Mobo and CPU. I posted it here in the P3D Forum first (last evening). Later I decided to post it in the FSX Forum as well. Thus far, there have been 43 Views and no responses in this forum. In the FSX Forum. . .100 views and 8 responses.

People tend to gravitate to the FSX Forum because they have a much better chance of getting an immediate response.
    Last edited by falcon409; July 19th, 2017 at 02:58.

Current System Specs:

You could also say more people use FSX at the moment and will check that Forum more. I have both still on my set up and read both forums. I understand I am not the only one with both sims. If I have read the same post in FSX I am less likely to read it in P3D as I asuume, perhaps wrongly, I will only see the same replies, if any, in the Prepar 3D forum.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    We also have a dedicated P3D library that no one seems to be using. I think that if some posts a P3D compatible file in the FSX library, there should be a mention of it in the P3D section.

Just as a comparison, I posted a request for ideas concerning an upgrade for my Mobo and CPU. I posted it here in the P3D Forum first (last evening). Later I decided to post it in the FSX Forum as well. Thus far, there have been 43 Views and no responses in this forum. In the FSX Forum. . .100 views and 8 responses.

People tend to gravitate to the FSX Forum because they have a much better chance of getting an immediate response.
    I didn't respond because I don't want to make a suggestion that might end up disappointing a fellow simmer. My new system (i5 7600K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Windforce OC, 16GB 2400 DDR4, Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 5, two 250GB Samsung 850 EVOs, 1TB WD Black HD) is working wonderfully at nearly max settings without even overclocking, but I don't have any scenery installed yet, so I can't give a good recommendation at this point.

As far as the FSX forum goes, since several developers have said they won't be offering FSX products much longer, many folks will eventually move on to bigger and better things, whether it be P3D, XP11, or FSW. Could take a year, two years, but it will happen.

Pat

Blog Entries
    IMO...

With the exception of screen shots, the P3D blog has always appeared to have less traffic and interest. I'm just as guilty as anyone...if I have a tech question that may apply in FSX or P3D, I go to the FSX forum. Same goes for updates on my airplanes and scenery development.

That said, I am only beginning to scratch the surface of Prepar3DV4 as it relates to using all of the new tools in the SDK and utilizing the 64 bit platform.

The transition to the new platform has required a complete re-structuring of how I approach managing my data and how that data is to be efficiently processed. The initiation has been intensive for the last few weeks, wiring up an efficient folder hierarchy to supply four simulators while allowing airplane and scenery models to be efficiently compiled for each platform. That took some time.

Beyond that, I am looking at spending serious money on the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 TI...if I can even get one as demand has exceeded supply in many cases. I feel that the card is an absolute must if I plan to use the sim to it's fullest potential.

Add together the above factors, and it becomes clear that the community in general is undergoing a polarizing transformation. The rigors of stepping into the 64bit environment can be intimidating, if not entirely prohibitive for many users. Following the initial release and feedback, it seems entirely plausible that many will choose to wait to make the move. Others will jump in, as I and others on this page have chosen to do.

For me, the transition has proven to be the realization of five years of preparation and hard work. I invested thousands of hours into first learning, then executing my own project development with the 64bit components integrated into the basic design. Having logged a few hundred hours of beta testing in 64bit, these projects only require some tweaks to bring them into focus.

If I take my own experience, and realize that developers both professional and recreational are evaluating the new tools, it is reasonable to arrive at the conclusion that all is quiet because everyone is down the rabbit hole working feverishly with the new toys.

I would anticipate that, over time, this P3D blog will see increasing traffic as more and more people test the waters and find the environment to their liking.

Once I get my four airport sceneries V4 tuned, I'll be adding screen shots and video highlighting features like ground texture bump mapping/specular, dynamic airport lighting, aircraft interior lighting, particle effects etc.

I'm one of the most hard core "born again" P3Dv4 believers at this point. When I look at what I can do in this new platform, I'm overwhelmed at the scope of possibilities (and work) ahead. This forum will be one of my most frequented...beginning now.

P3Dv4 Ground Surface bump mapping and specular lighting. KBIH Eastern Sierra Regional Airport and Abrams P-1 Explorer 64bit HD by ********
    [/url]
    Last edited by gman5250; July 19th, 2017 at 13:08.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 0