Sunderland MKV Package Uploaded

Thread: Sunderland MKV Package Uploaded

Sunderland MKV Package Uploaded

I have today uploaded a Shorts Sunderland MK V package, this is the full aircraft. A few things, it is based on the Jens Kristensen Hythe but has been extensively modified. The aircraft is not an armed version such as used by Coastal Command but basically the post war era used essentially for maritime patrol and SAR work by the RNZAF and RAF. This one represents the RNZAF Q for Queenie, now preserved in the Auckland MOTAT Museum. While it is an updated FSX model it is not FSX native and it may not work at all in P3D. It works flawless for me in FSX-A. It has taken some time to get this out, but, a number of persons just did not respond to my emails etc advising them of my intention to do this, anyway anything used in it was mostly freeware and all original developers, makers etc are acknowledged. I also want to thank Just Flight for their permissions to use some bits.

A little bit of housekeeping, this package requires some additional addons, the are the clickable cockpit sounds package "cockpitsounds_V2.zip", the McCoy water effects package, "mccoy_water_landing_2.zip" and I have used the Captain Sim Weather Radar addon (payware). Not having these should make no difference to what you see or do. A small note the Manual is in a format .odt some may not recognised (Its Open Office) but will open with MS WordPad. There is a HTML version just in case.

I guess as it is unlikely that a Sunderland or other Shorts Flying Boat is ikely to make its way into the changing Sim World especially over the 64 bit event horizon, so this may be it for Shorts boats for awhile. People like Jens Kristensen are far and few between and it is worth remembering in this little effort just what a marvellous model builder he was, especially of long forgotten aeroplanes. If you don't like it thats fine, I originally did it for myself but if you do, have fun!

Any feedback or questions best be posted here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunderland MKV.jpg   Sunderland VC.jpg  

Very decent of you, I'll add this to my harbour. Anyone who has seen one for real (RAF Hendon's Mk.V) will know just how big and impressive a Sundy is, so thanks to all concerned!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I'm using FSX SE with DX10 fixer and this ports extremely well so thank you. JK did some lovely flying boats for FS9 do they all port as well as this?

Matt

Great news Bendy. Many thanks. I have a real soft spot for flying boats.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Thanks, but where are the water and cockpit sounds available please? I can find some McCoy water, but for P3d.

David
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

dhasdell - The water sounds are part of the McCoy Water Effects package is FS2004/FSX McCoy Water Landing Effects (mccoy_ater_landing_effect_2.zip). The cockpit sounds file was FSX Cockpit Sound V2 (cockpitsounds_v2). FLIGHTSIM.com has them both. I recommend the McCoy package because it gives you not only sounds, but effects and different textures to use depending on the wake pattern you would like for a flying boat or amphibian. They make a big difference to the standard FSX spray and wakes.

McDivey - re the JBK boats yes they all do go well into FSX as they were all reworked by Jens Christensen for FSX and re-released as FSX stand alone models. For information I uploaded an amended panel and sounds for the S5 here at SOH some months back having reworked it to being the same as the original aircraft.

JBK did such a good job on all these boats one could not do better than the original designs but the limits are the models, one or two actually have full interiors and you can do a lot with them but texture mapping arrangements are somewhat weird, which makes some changes not possible those limitations accepted the JBK models were works of art and have stood the test of time. It is a pity he has disappeared from the sim world.

The thing to keep in mind is all these early flying boats were quite simple aircraft, they were generally only flown by day and while they could cope with IFR conditions advanced instrumentation etc was not fitted due to the primitive electrical systems which is why the C Class Boats were such a leap in the future when they arrived. Labour was not an issue in those days so they all had a radio operator and navigator, only the C Class boats dispensed with navigators, the Captain and Co-pilot did that but kept the radio operator. Navigation was basically map and sextant.

I have also redone the S23 or C Class/Empire Boats with authentic panels, modified textures and radio operator position and autopilot (Sperry). I think this is about as right as I can get it and will upload that one as well if people would like it. The aim of any of my changes was to simply do the extra work to make the interiors and cockpits VC's, together with proper Pegasus engne sounds so as to match the original aircraft. . I am also now very happy with the C Class Boat so think it is ready to go to.

Thank you. I was looking for an FSX file, not FS2004. I have found them both now. Next stop Lake Tegel, with a load of potatoes!

David

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    ...Next stop Lake Tegel, with a load of potatoes!

Also salt - Sundys carried salt since their hulls were rated for the wet and briny.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

That's interesting. Thank you. How about coal? I remember reading that when Yorks were scrapped years later there was a lot of coal dust flying about.

Members who have read this thread: 1