Komet

Thread: Komet

Hybrid View

Komet

Me163 glider, tow rope visible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me 163 Komet glider.jpg  

No fun unless she is towed by a jet fighter.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Where's the beef,oh i mean,where's the rocket ??

You can read about the very interesting history about this glider and its designer/builder here:
    http://www.tailsthroughtime.com/2011...es-to-air.html

In summary, it was built by Jozef Kurz, who became a very experienced glider pilot in the years following WWII, but who had originally been in the process of being trained to fly the original Me-163's in the last days of the war. Kurz used the original Messerschmitt drawings to go by to make the glider/replica, but used wood instead of metal in its construction. It keeps the original wing plan/form, but has some changes to the tail-end, due to the nature of the wood construction and no need for the original full-size rocket engine nozzle. The glider is more than 3,000 lbs lighter than an empty original Me-163.

The Airbus Group/Messerschmitt Foundation owns the glider and used to do demonstrations with it at airshows in Europe for several years, using a Dornier Do 27 tow-plane, but as of now it is displayed hanging from the ceiling in the Messerschmitt Foundation/"Flugmuseum Messerschmitt" facility.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Where's the beef,oh i mean,where's the rocket ??
    If you want to see the real rocket, you'll need to travel to Washington (Smithsonian Museum) or Dayton, Ohio. It's impressively small!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

There are 10 known surviving original examples, that can be seen on display at:

-The Udvar-Hazy Center (Smithsonian), at the Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, Virginia
    -The USAF Museum, Dayton, Ohio
    -The Australian War Memorial in Canberra
    -The Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum in Everett, Washington
    -The Luftwaffe Museum, in Berlin, Germany
    -The Deutsches Museum, in Munich, Germany
    -The Canadian Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa, Ontario
    -The RAF Museum, Cosford, England
    -The Science Museum London, England
    -The National Museum of Flight, East Fortune Airfield, Scotland

There is also a non-flying full-scale wooden replica on display at the Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino, California. The Planes of Fame Museum also has on display the even rarer Mitsubishi J8M (original), which is the Japanese derivative of the Me 163 - the only fully original example that still exists.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Not so sure about a Komet at the AWM John but there is a Komet on display at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook in Victoria.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Members who have read this thread: 0