Scenery Help

Thread: Scenery Help

Scenery Help

I am not able to open the Scenery Editor in Mission Builder. I have tried (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + G), with no success. Is there another way to open the Scenery Editor?

I have made a new layout in Mission Builder and saved it. I would like to make it part of the permanent GSL scenery. Is this possible?

Thanks for your thoughts,

msfossey

It is possible, but I've never done it. Rami is an expert on the procedure though. It can also be done using Martin Wright's GSL Editor tools.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    msfossey,

When you press the keys, Ctrl + Alt + Shift + G, to activate the built-in MB-GSL-Editor no bells or whistles go off to let you know it's working.

The MB layout window doesn't act any different or look any different after activating the built-in MB-GSL-Editor than it did before.

Have you tried just creating a layout, saving the layout to the GSL, Ctrl + Alt + S, exiting MB-GSL-Editor, Ctrl + Alt + Shift + G, and then opening FF or whatever to see if the scenery objects are installed?

MR

BTW, if you are using Lindsay Watts GSL Editor tutorial then you should be aware that there is one small error. In it he mistakenly gives the key stroke combo for saving the layout file to CFS2/Layouts as Ctrl+E. It should read Ctrl+W.

Do not confuse this saving of the layout to the CFS2/Layouts folder with saving/installing the layout to the GSL.

One other thing: If you decide to use Martin Wright's GSL Editing tools remember that Martins tools will overwrite any objects that are already present in a particular GOB. The built-in MB-GSL-Editor, on the other hand, will add objects to those already present.
    Last edited by MaskRider; July 9th, 2017 at 15:12.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22 Reply...

Msfossey,

First, to MaskRider - Thanks for answering so thoroughly. I took my kids to see a movie this afternoon, so love it when someone of your knowledge has my back. Kudos!

Msfossey - As Chris said, there is no magic moment that you'll know whether the in-house GSL editor worked, except that the size of the GSL file will grow larger. Chris is also absolutely right that one of the benefits of using the in-house GSL feature is that it will automatically place any objects into their correct gobs.

Martin Wright's tools are more user-friendly, but you have to cross-reference gob files to prevent overwriting. This is especially true when building tows, cities, or other fortifications near existing airbases, for example. And there are occasions when you'll have a layout for a specific base or a town near an airbase (Vraux / Chalons-en-Champagne, for example) when even using Martin Wright's tools does not integrate the GSL gobs properly.

That's when its especially helpful to know the original way.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thank you guys, I'll give it a try and see what I get.

msfossey

Shadow, MR, Rami,

Thank you for responding. MR, using your instructions I was able to save my layout and add it to the GSL. Exactly what I wanted to do. Should have a lot of fun with this.

Appreciate the help,

msfossey

Happy to hear that our efforts were not in vain!

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hey guys,

When I try to save a layout as a GSL file, I'm getting a message: "Can't open the scenery layer fiel gsl\cfs2.gsl for writing."

I have made the layout, but can't seem to save it to a gsl. Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts,

msfossey

Are you using the MB GSL editor?

1. Create layout
    2. Save layout (ctrl+w)
    3. Open MB GSL Editor (shift+ctrl+alt+G)
    4. Save layout to GSL (ctrl+alt+S)
    5. Exit GSL Editor (shift+ctrl+alt+G)

You might try looking at your Combat Flight Simulator 2\GSL\cfs2.gsl and see if it somehow has become a read only file.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Yes, using MB GSL editor. No luck, that's when I get the message.

I have used this method to add a few ships and harbor to the Port Morseby area last week.

Thank you for the reply Maskrider.

msfossey

Icon22

So, in FF, when you go to the Port Moresby location where you installed your new GSL objects, the new objects are there?

And your Combat Flight Simulator 2\GSL\cfs2.gsl file, when does it show as its latest "Date Modified" date? Does that jibe with the date you added those Port Moresby objects? Or does it say something like Sept 2000?

And when you right click the cfs2.gsl file and click on "properties" is there a check mark in the "Read Only" box?

Ah, well. Now it is off to dinner and family togetherness land with all its sweetness delicacy and harmony and no "Scenery Help" clients to vex us with their conundrums!

;^)

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hey Maskrider,

Yes the Port Moresby GSL objects show in free flight and I was able to save my layout to a gsl file.

The Combat Flight Simulator 2\GSL\cfs2.gsl file shows the correct date in which I created the new layout and saved as gsl file.

I have checked to make sure the Combat Flight Simulator 2\GSL\cfs2.gsl file is not set to "read only".

I have no prblem saving layouts; I just cant save a layout to a gsl file. Keep getting the same "can't read" message.

Thanks for your input.

msfossey

Icon22

Try this.

Rename your cfs2.gsl file -> cfs2orig.gsl

Download and unzip the attached "empty.gsl" file

Rename it cfs2.gsl and place it into your Combat Flight Simulator 2\GSL\ folder.

Then open the MB GSL editor and try saving a layout to it.

MR
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MaskRider; July 20th, 2017 at 11:22.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hey MR, that works! Do you know if there is a limit number of jobjects for the GSL? I'll keep working on it and see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

msfossey

Glad that helped!

BTW, what is the size of your cfs2orig.gsl?

I wasn't aware (I don't believe I was, anyway) that there is a limit on the number objects.

I have added literally thousands upon thousands of objects to mine and have yet to run up against it.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

I'm not sure how to tell how big the GSL file is. I installed the Pearl Harbor scenery, and Penn32's Port Morsby scenery. How do you tell how many objects are in the GSL file once it has been modified? I know it's at 594 Kbs, if that helps.

msfossey

msfossey, I think the gsl filesize is the only indicator. I think if there is a limit, it will be the number of objects that the sim engine could display in a single instance, & that's why there's a limit on the number of objects per gob.

I have a cfs2 gsl file at 13885kb & no issues so far....

Icon22

msfossey, yes, that is the file size I was talking about. As UT points out, 594kb should leave you with lots and lots of slack.

BTW, I can't explain why swapping-in that empty.gsl worked for you. Perhaps the other one had somehow mysteriously become corrupted. I have never seen one of those "unable to write to the gsl file" messages. So I just can't say.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22 Reply...

Msfossey,

If it makes you feel any better, I had the exact same problem.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 1