Carswell AFB Help Needed

Thread: Carswell AFB Help Needed

Carswell AFB Help Needed

If anyone out there has installed Carswell AFB maybe you can help me figure out which texture is missing for all those black buildings. Also, does anyone know how to remove those old style trees? Any help will be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carswell1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	51577

Name:	carswell2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	51578

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    If anyone out there has installed Carswell AFB maybe you can help me figure out which texture is missing for all those black buildings. Also, does anyone know how to remove those old style trees? Any help will be appreciated.

Name:	carswell1.jpg 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	51577

Name:	carswell2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	51578
    What package is that?

I've ditched the old AS version in favour of the recent FSX Retro Carswell AFB by MAIW. They also did a great Macdill AFB. Great packages, FSX specific, with accurate AI. No issues at all.

DL

I'll have to take a look at that package. Since I was at Carswell for the last 21 years of my AF Career it would be interesting to see what they've done.

On second thought no I won't, lol. Well before my tenure.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

This Carswell scenery is part of the JYAI_B-58_Hustlers_FSX_1 package by John Young and Brent Newman. It depicts Carswell circa 1962.

@falcon409

I was stationed there from 86 to 90, last time I drove through there is was the JRB Fort Worth, the only thing remaining that reminded me of my time there was the SAC memorial with a MK-17 sitting in front of it. The 301st FW is still there today as far as I know.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Mal,

Where did you get this file? I thought I had all of Johns AI - but I don't have any Hustlers.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson View Post
    @falcon409

I was stationed there from 86 to 90, last time I drove through there is was the JRB Fort Worth, the only thing remaining that reminded me of my time there was the SAC memorial with a MK-17 sitting in front of it. The 301st FW is still there today as far as I know.
    I came there in March of 1986 and retired from the 301st in April of 07'. The Official name is NAS Ft Worth, JRB Carswell Field. Grand Prairie Naval Air Station moved into the SAC Vacated facilities and thus the name change since they occupy the only Active Duty Unit on the base. All Branches are represented and the 301st is probably the most active Unit as far as daily sorties, deployments, etc. There is also a C-130 Unit adjacent to the 301st ramp. If you pull up the base on Google Earth you'll get a fairly recent view of the entire facility which bears little if any resemblance to the circa 1962 scenery package.

The 301st is also slated to transition to the F-35 in a year or so (which is tenuous at best right now). They'll get them eventually, but we're talking about Military timelines which have a habit of changing by the minute, lol.
    Last edited by falcon409; July 9th, 2017 at 08:09.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Mal,

Where did you get this file? I thought I had all of Johns AI - but I don't have any Hustlers.

Bill
    All of John's latest creations are in the MAIW library.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

You have to make a new land polygon for airport area. Looks like airport does not have own compatible ground polygon included.

So, in answer to my original question, I was able to solve the mystery of the missing Carswell textures by dumping several other MAIW texture folders into Carswell's texture folder. Evidently one of those dumps had the right textures for those buildings as you can see by my screenshot. Now if I can figure out how to get rid of those old mirror image trees Carswell '62 will be ready for me to add my own updates using Instant Scenery.

This is really cool scenery...thanks to John Young, Brent Newman and MAIW for the great work.

Name:	carswell3.jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	51616

Name:	carswell4.jpg 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	51617

Name:	carswell5.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	51618

If you look in the Carswell/scenery folder, try removing any bgl with the word Tree in the title and see if that helps.

cheers ian

So, in answer to my original question, I was able to solve the mystery of the missing Carswell textures by dumping several other MAIW texture folders into Carswell's texture folder. Evidently one of those dumps had the right textures for those buildings as you can see by my screenshot. Now if I can figure out how to get rid of those old mirror image trees Carswell '62 will be ready for me to add my own updates using Instant Scenery.

This is really cool scenery...thanks to John Young, Brent Newman and MAIW for the great work.

If you have MCX, possibly recompiling the tree bgl for FSX and converting the tree textures to dds might solve it?

Current System Specs:

Only trouble is, there is no tree bgl. But not being able to correct it is still annoying. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

Only trouble is, there is no tree bgl. But not being able to correct it is still annoying. Guess I'll just have to live with it.
    I installed the scenery and everything appears to display correctly, however I have no trees at all in the areas you show in your screens. I don't know if that's due to my having installed it in P3D or that there's another scenery I haven't included. I did install their Scenery Objects Library as well. So I'm not sure where the trees are coming from. There may not be a singular "tree" bgl, but they may be part of another object bgl "Library" which would still allow MCX to correct the problem. I did see where they supply an FSX version and an FS9 version of the scenery. If that's the case then using the FSX version in FSX should allow those trees to display correctly.

On a side note: looking around the base I did notice that the area around the Tower (we referred to it as the "Navy Side") looks very much as it does today. The hangar placements and hangar types are very similar. The Main hangar shown down the ramp towards Lake Worth is exactly where the 301st Hangar is and that whole area is designated as the 301st FW. The Engine "Hush House" is placed very close to where it is today and of course the area across the runway where your Bombers are parked is where the Lockheed Martin complex is today.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0