Which graphicscard?

Thread: Which graphicscard?

Which graphicscard?

Hi guys,
    i don`t have P3Dv4 and no other version.
    Now i want o build a new system and get v4.
    If you would buy a new graphicscard and switch later this year to K4,
    would you buy a GTX1080 TI?
    Did anyone reached the 8GB VRam in v4?
    And are 16GB RAM enough,or will 32GB be the better coice for the future.
    The new PC will be the last one i can afford(healthy and financial reasons),
    so i don`t want to run in trouble in some months.
    I want to have a PC,which will run v4 flawless.
    Mike

I would recommend the 1080 (my specs below), I don't have the TI version. The non-TI version is enough to drive two monitors (a 4K UHD and a 1080p HD) with a single card and P3D V4 runs smoothly with ORBX and REX TD + SC.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

My 1070 does a great job with P3D V4.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

LM recommends 16GB+ memory, so the extra $100 would be worth it down the road. I don't have much money to throw at it, so I opted for 16GB and a 6GB 1060.

The 1080Ti would be the logical choice as it has 11gb of memory on board. But the 1080 or 1070
    would do the job if running 1440 or 4K monitors. Being that your going to build towards the end
    of the year you might see what Vega (AMD) has to offer, as they should be released by then and
    most likely be cheaper then the 1080's.
    As for the rest of the system it depends on what other stuff you might do with the rig. (besides flight sims)
    If you want to future proof you might look at going with a higher core count cpu. Right now Ryzen
    would be a great choice for the money, but Treadripper should be out by the time you decide to build.
    Going with 16 GB of system memory would be the least amount to have installed.
    If you want to save money look for bundle deals at online retailers. I picked up my cpu, motherboard
    and memory for $500 at newegg last xmas, I then added a PSU, SSD, AIO cooler and HD/D for
    another $300. I reused my case and video card, (the card was only a couple months old)
    specs below.....

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I have an 1080 and it runs V4 great! Biggest reason for going higher is to make it future proof. On a desktop computer its not as important as its easy to swap out the video card but if your going for a laptop get the very very best you can buy.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Thank you very much all.
    Interesting suggestions.
    Maybe it is too early after around 6weeks since v4 is out.
    ORBX objectflow isn`t out and with all the sceneries and airports +the FSDT airports,AS16,REX and so on---time will bring it.
    The other parts of my new PC will be the 7700K,a very good cooler an ASUS Strix board,1x250GB SSD,1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD.
    This should be a good system for the next years.
    Waiting for something comig out later this year?
    I think no---when one will wait,you will never get a new system.
    There are always new CPUs,graphicscards and so on in the pipeline---right?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Thank you very much all.
    Interesting suggestions.
    Maybe it is too early after around 6weeks since v4 is out.
    ORBX objectflow isn`t out and with all the sceneries and airports +the FSDT airports,AS16,REX and so on---time will bring it.
    The other parts of my new PC will be the 7700K,a very good cooler an ASUS Strix board,1x250GB SSD,1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD.
    This should be a good system for the next years.
    Waiting for something comig out later this year?
    I think no---when one will wait,you will never get a new system.
    There are always new CPUs,graphicscards and so on in the pipeline---right?
    Mike
    Mike, I would suggest getting as big a HDD as you can afford. 1TB is tiny nowadays. 4-6 TBs are going for $90-$150, with 3TB going for as low as $50. You will use it to store your scenery on, and photoreal scenery and mesh takes up TBs fast. You can also store your aircraft there, using a Junction Magic program.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Don,i think a 1TB HDD is big enough for me.
    This PC is only for v4,nothing else.
    The 256GB SSD is for the OS.
    The 1TB SSD is for the Sim and i don`t plan to use photosceneries and too much airplanes.
    For AS16,REX,MyTraffic and FSGU NG this drive is big enough.
    Mike

Pardon me for butting in...

Don, i always wondered, is it really commendable to dump scenery on a HD while the sim itself sits on a SSD ?... Compared to P3D itself plus sceneries on one and the same SSD you'd certainly see a difference in performance, wouldn't it ??...

thanks,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Pardon me for butting in...

Don, i always wondered, is it really commendable to dump scenery on a HD while the sim itself sits on a SSD ?... Compared to P3D itself plus sceneries on one and the same SSD you'd certainly see a difference in performance, wouldn't it ??...

thanks,
    Jan
    I always wondered the same thing. I haven't installed any scenery yet, but I have plenty of space on the dedicated P3D SSD, and more on another. I know the scenery would load more quickly, and think it would reduce any stutters that might occur.

Pat

Nick from ORBX said some days before,that putting ORBX sceneries from a SSD to a HDD,you will get the slower speed of the HDD.
    That`s the reason,why i want to have a 1 TB SSD for the Sim.
    My ORBX folder in FSX has a size of 305 GB.
    Mike

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...-ssd-question/

Members who have read this thread: 0